C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch question

I have had the 67 out this weekend (just rolled 200 miles) Yesterday I had some issues getting into first at stoplights. Over the last couple weeks of driving it I havent had any issues at all. The motor is new (rebuilt 427), the trans was rebuilt as well. I also noticed grinding when going into reverse as if I didn't have the clutch pushed in all the way despite it being on the floor. I also noticed yesterday after starting the car while it was in gear and clutch to the floor the car began to move. I have scoured the past threads and seen a number of solutions /problems but could only see as my real problem would be the clutch linkage needs to be tweeked a little. So my question I guess is could there be a more "serious issue" and it is common place to have to adjust the linkage like that?? Appreciate your input. Jim
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

did you follow the adjustment process outlined in the service manual
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Kiss

Keep it simple , adjust the linkage up a little . You probably have too much free play in the pedal .

Bill
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by KNIPPS
I have had the 67 out this weekend (just rolled 200 miles) Yesterday I had some issues getting into first at stoplights. Over the last couple weeks of driving it I havent had any issues at all. The motor is new (rebuilt 427), the trans was rebuilt as well. I also noticed grinding when going into reverse as if I didn't have the clutch pushed in all the way despite it being on the floor. I also noticed yesterday after starting the car while it was in gear and clutch to the floor the car began to move. I have scoured the past threads and seen a number of solutions /problems but could only see as my real problem would be the clutch linkage needs to be tweeked a little. So my question I guess is could there be a more "serious issue" and it is common place to have to adjust the linkage like that?? Appreciate your input. Jim
Not uncommon. As NowhereMan says, use the clutch adjustment procedure in the Chevrolet Service Manual.

You don't want the trans to grind when going into reverse or first, but you also don't want the throwout bearing engaged/rotating when you are driving down the road. On my 1967 327/350 HP car with the factory clutch, I find that there is only a very narrow adjustment range between the two extremes.

Larry
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Done...

Adjusted linkage and it seems to shift just fine now. Thanks to thse that replied!!! Is it common to have to adjust the linkage after XXX miles of driving?? Thanks..Jim

PS. On to the next questions....
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Is it common to have to adjust the linkage after XXX miles of driving?? Thanks..Jim

Not unless those were some very hard miles.

If it happens again, take a look at the clutch cross shaft where the upper/lower arms are welded on. It's not uncommon for the arms to split the tube and that lets more free play into the linkage and will finally result in no clutch action at all.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Check all of the pivot points: pedal pin & rod, Cross shaft, Lower rod & pin, Clutch fork. Look for elongated holes, Grooves worn in pins and a lose pin in the pedal. A little play in any of these points will affect fork travel. My 66 has 1.5" free play at pedal goes into rev. just great.
Mark
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Is it common to have to adjust the linkage after XXX miles of driving??
Yes; as the clutch disk wears over time, the freeplay at the pedal will gradually decrease. If freeplay decreases to zero, the throwout bearing will be spinning all the time, increasing the probability of failure; if still unadjusted, the increased contact pressure on the clutch fingers will lessen the force of the pressure plate on the disk and slippage will occur with imminent clutch failure. Just check the freeplay every tune-up and re-adjust as required.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Yes; as the clutch disk wears over time, the freeplay at the pedal will gradually decrease.
Just clarify, the OP used three "XXX's" to indicate the interval in his mileage from when he went from no problem to a problem the way I read it. I assumed that meant the 200 miles he just drove the car.

For me, a clutch adjustment happened at about 50K miles. Your experience may vary.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If it happens again, take a look at the clutch cross shaft where the upper/lower arms are welded on. It's not uncommon for the arms to split the tube and that lets more free play into the linkage and will finally result in no clutch action at all.

Exactly what happened to me.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Just clarify, the OP used three "XXX's" to indicate the interval in his mileage from when he went from no problem to a problem the way I read it. I assumed that meant the 200 miles he just drove the car.

For me, a clutch adjustment happened at about 50K miles. Your experience may vary.
I have to do adjustments at lesser intervals than 50K………….maybe every 10K miles or so.

In my younger days, clutch wear and adjustment were much more frequent.

If you can get 50K out of a clutch adjustment, you must be driving a 6 cylinder and keeping your speed below 40 MPH.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 04-23-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by mark6669
Check all of the pivot points: pedal pin & rod, Cross shaft, Lower rod & pin, Clutch fork. Look for elongated holes, Grooves worn in pins and a lose pin in the pedal. A little play in any of these points will affect fork travel. My 66 has 1.5" free play at pedal goes into rev. just great.
Mark
Mark:

Although you may see 1-1/2 inch free play at the pedal, you may not have that much free play before the throw-out bearing (just) begins to spin on the pressure plate.

With the engine running and in neutral, slowly push in the clutch pedal by hand until you feel the TO bearing starting to rotate. The rotation should be noticeable. Then continue to push down by hand until you get resistance from the pressure plate. You may find that the latter is 1-1/2 inch, but the point where the TO bearing starts to roll is less. This is especially true with the newer diaphragm clutch/pressure plate versus the old style B&B.

FWIW…………Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch question

Quick Reply: Clutch question