C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need advice on whether to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on whether to buy

A little about myself so you understand why I'm looking for help. I'm a 61 year old man that has loved Corvettes since I was a kid. I've never owned one but am now thinking about buying a C2. Why I'm hesitating is because I am not mechanical nor have auto body skills.

I'm capable of learning some mechanical skills but I know it will take a while. Should I even consider buying a C2 or should I buy a C6 version? Handling and ride are important to me and I know C2s can be upgraded to bring them closer to the newer vettes but I wouldn't be able to do it. In terms of regular maintenance, all I would be able to do is change the oil, at least for a while. I know I would have to have all mechanical work done by someone else regardless of either version but it seems the C6 work could be done by a great deal more people than the C2.

So, I need your opinion as to whether I should even consider buying the C2 and eventually acquire some mechanical skill and knowledge or should I just accept the fact a C2 probably wouldn't be a good purchase for me and just buy a C6. Thanks for any help and assistance.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Only you can decide what's best for you.

I own a C6, my daily driver, now with over 82,000 miles, and have never had to wrench on it. Well, I have done brakes, one wheel bearing, and some minor repairs. It is way faster, smoother, and more convenient than my 1965 (recently acquired).

I am very handy and do all my own wrenching, and my C2 will need it, as these older cars are much more maintenance intensive. It also is much harder and much less safe to drive. But it is a ton of fun.

Note that for the price of a C2 that won't have you under the hood frequently, you can buy a new C7, or a very nice C6.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Only you can decide what's best for you.

I own a C6, my daily driver, now with over 82,000 miles, and have never had to wrench on it. Well, I have done brakes, one wheel bearing, and some minor repairs. It is way faster, smoother, and more convenient than my 1965 (recently acquired).

I am very handy and do all my own wrenching, and my C2 will need it, as these older cars are much more maintenance intensive. It also is much harder and much less safe to drive. But it is a ton of fun.

Note that for the price of a C2 that won't have you under the hood frequently, you can buy a new C7, or a very nice C6.
Thank you for your input. I know a really nice C2 would cost the same as a C6-C7 and my heart is saying C2 but the head is saying C6-C7.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

There is nothing similar about them but the name. I owned a C6 from new and sold last year and bought a '64.

Make sure you drive a couple examples of BOTH and find where your heart is. If your heart is with the C2, buy one and consign yourself to having it worked on. Nothing will replace the experience.

The C6 is a fantastic driving, super low maintenance modern missile. I still like them very much- more than the C7 in fact.

If ride quality and superior handling are a must, you will know after a few test drives you need a C6. I will not be going back to a modern one, but I'm 33 and the tinkering is actually a bonus for me. You cannot beat the look and aura of an old one, driving it or admiring it in the garage with greasy knuckles (which I happily have now as I write).

Let us know what you find!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 PM
anglerjon
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Try to find someone who owns a c2 and ask for a ride, maybe even get to drive it. C2s vs C6 comparing apples to oranges, but both are fun.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default C-2 or C-6

Really no matter what you do, it is very difficult for a C2 to handle, drive or be as safe or reliable as a C6 or C7. That said, you will never have as much fun with a newer Corvette as you will with a C1 or C2. It is a rare day that someone does not ask me a question at the gas station or hardware store about my 66. I drove it yesterday and a small crowd of guys stopped what they were doing to give me a big . If you are undecided, join a Corvette club that has active C-2 members and ask a lot of questions and see if you can get to ride in a few of them. If you do decide to buy one, take along someone who really knows the the in's and out's of your prospective car. If you decide to get, drive the snot out of it and have fun. Jerry
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
There is nothing similar about them but the name. I owned a C6 from new and sold last year and bought a '64.

Make sure you drive a couple examples of BOTH and find where your heart is. If your heart is with the C2, buy one and consign yourself to having it worked on. Nothing will replace the experience.

The C6 is a fantastic driving, super low maintenance modern missile. I still like them very much- more than the C7 in fact.

If ride quality and superior handling are a must, you will know after a few test drives you need a C6. I will not be going back to a modern one, but I'm 33 and the tinkering is actually a bonus for me. You cannot beat the look and aura of an old one, driving it or admiring it in the garage with greasy knuckles (which I happily have now as I write).

Let us know what you find!
It may take some time but I will definitely post when I finally get one or the other. Thank you for your input and time.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by anglerjon
Try to find someone who owns a c2 and ask for a ride, maybe even get to drive it. C2s vs C6 comparing apples to oranges, but both are fun.
Thank you for your help. I hope I can find someone willing to let me drive one.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Really no matter what you do, it is very difficult for a C2 to handle, drive or be as safe or reliable as a C6 or C7. That said, you will never have as much fun with a newer Corvette as you will with a C1 or C2. It is a rare day that someone does not ask me a question at the gas station or hardware store about my 66. I drove it yesterday and a small crowd of guys stopped what they were doing to give me a big . If you are undecided, join a Corvette club that has active C-2 members and ask a lot of questions and see if you can get to ride in a few of them. If you do decide to buy one, take along someone who really knows the the in's and out's of your prospective car. If you decide to get, drive the snot out of it and have fun. Jerry
Whenever I see a C2, I just stop and stare and smile. When I was 13, my buddy's older brother bought a 63 split window. He was kind of a jerk and would never take me for a ride in it. But, I still laugh when I think of how I used to drool over that car. He totaled it about a year later.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Your Post leads me to think you really want a C-2 but are intimidated. Don't be! Back in the day we used these cars as daily drivers without a second thought. I very rarely have to do anything but change the oil/filter on my 67. Go for it while you can! Al W.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Ya, Drool will do that, cause a car to get totaled!

Originally Posted by djscoe
Whenever I see a C2, I just stop and stare and smile. When I was 13, my buddy's older brother bought a 63 split window. He was kind of a jerk and would never take me for a ride in it. But, I still laugh when I think of how I used to drool over that car. He totaled it about a year later.
Now recounting your thread, you started with C2 and C6, but by Post #3 your subconscious mind had added C7! Thus we guys should get a formal Corvette Psychologist to be available here on this forum!

Normally on older cars, I tend to not recommend them to guys with no mechanical/repair ability or capability, but then I don't know what type of wallet ability and capability you have! You could possibly get a good car that only needs oil changes, but I would bet the odds are against you! I could see having a lot of fun in the new C7 (Freudian slip coming from me). You guys ignore that I posted up a recommendation for a C7 or C6 Z-06! But I can always deny that I made this post. I can always claim someone got ahold of my forum identity and posted up stuff that I normally would not have said!

PS just don't total the C7, sliding out on your brother's drool!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Drive a few

I've never owned one but am now thinking about buying a C2. Why I'm hesitating is because I am not mechanical nor have auto body skills.

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the Forum,

Try and find a dealer with a full varity of corvette years and set up an appointment to drive C2's and C6's to compare.

I am not a mechanical expert, but have learned to use this forum for advice on how to do repairs for mechanical issues. You can as well.

Phil
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

djscoe - Maybe I missed it in your writeup but have you ever driven or been in a midyear? If you're considering a 63-67 only because of what they look like 'from the outside', get a ride in one and that will probably seal the deal. You'll find yourself looking at everything but the windshield, trying to take it all in. You've gotten some good advice to find a 'done' car so you won't have to worry about having to wrench on it. Why not post up your location and maybe you'll find someone local to you that will at least give you a ride in one. By the way, if you do lean more heavily towards a midyear, then the next question from you will probably be...Coupe or Roadster
Good luck with the search.
Mike T.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its a crap shoot, but you can increase your odds. You are now where I was 8 years ago when I was 56. I decided I wanted a midyear as a retirement gift to myself. No mechanical skills, zero none. I cant even change the oil. Here is what I did:

1. I decided the midyear I wanted; down to the color, year and options.

2. I then did some research on the available experts in the area. I knew I needed someone to do an inspection of any car I was interested in buying. I was also looking for someone who would help out along the way. I got lucky and found two great ones three hours away: provette67 and SolidAxle.

3. I searched and found a mechanic. A retired mechanic for the city that maintained the cop cars since the sixties. Then I really got lucky. I later ran into midyearvette at a car show who owns a 66 BB. He can fix almost anything and if he cant, he knows who can.

4. I then started my hunt for that restored, rust free and reliable midyear corvette of my dreams.

5. I was patient. It took three years to find her and I have now owned her for five years this June.

In the past 5 years I have spent $2200 on labor and parts in addition to a new set of tires and a battery. Midyearvette has fixed some things for just a beer. I consider myself very lucky.

Thank you provette67, SolidAxle and midyearvette for making my dream come true.

Last edited by dahogan; 04-22-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Personally, I think you only go around once. In 10 years youll be 71... do you want to sit there and say, "sure wish I bought that C2 I always wanted. That would have been cool."

I say, if you want a C2, theres no C6-7 that will remotely scratch that itch. (ask me how I know)

If you can buy a car thats not a ripoff with a broken frame and you feel like you have the ability to connect with a mechanic you can trust somewhere near you, Id say buy the old car.

If after a year of ownership you decide its just not for you, you will most likely be able to: 1. sell the car at a profit, or 2. trade it on a C6 and have cash left over.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

I am 42 (as of yesterday) and I can tell you I sold my 93 Ruby Red coupe as it was a pain to get in and out of. Loved the car, but jeez...and I am in relatively good shape....

At 61, you will enjoy (IMO) the C2 much more. Easier to get in and out of, more "eyeball", less common to see on the road, nothing sounds like a C2 with pipes, no need for a computer to diagnose engine codes, easier to work on, can change oil in 13 minutes, no GD cup holders for a reason, will hold their value WAY better than a C6, etc...
So from a visual standpoint, investment/smart with your money standpoint, yearning standpoint, comfort standpoint - is there really any decision here? C2.....I have a few and wouldn't trade 5 C6's for one of my midyears...I can not stop smiling every time I fire one up...
Glad I'm not biased, but just my two cents....LOL...
ARA
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default OK who stole my identity and log in above???

C2 is what I am drawn to! Naturally if you can solve the problems of the world, get one!

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on whether to buy

Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Joe you didn't say where your located. List your town and you may have forum members who would give you a test ride and if your still interested in a C-2 after that they could hook you up with a good C-2 mechanic or shop. They could also help check out any potentail car you would look to purchase. There are a lot of things you could use an "expert" for before buying a C-2.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RJ1
Joe you didn't say where your located. List your town and you may have forum members who would give you a test ride and if your still interested in a C-2 after that they could hook you up with a good C-2 mechanic or shop. They could also help check out any potentail car you would look to purchase. There are a lot of things you could use an "expert" for before buying a C-2.
I'm in Marshfield, MA about 35 miles SE of Boston. I'm starting to look into the local Corvette clubs and will be attending every one I can.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
djscoe
7th Gear

I want to thank everyone for their great advice. I'm going to do my best to get a nice C2 and just naturally expect I'm going to have to pay to repair it rather than do it myself. Maybe some day I can acquire enough skills to at least do some of it. I've never forgotten that 63 Split Window and one may be out of my reach but I'll at least do the next best thing and stay in the C2 range. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether to buy