C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need advice on whether to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Your going to look back at this as a huge mistake. With very few mechanical abilities your going to pay for worn items you never knew existed. Stepping back fifty years, few use them as daily drivers. Your not 21 and can crawl under cars for repairs. Buy a C-6 0r 7, enjoy the car every day, get great service, mileage, and enjoy modern technology. The money you stick in a C-2 will cost many dollars a mile. Big difference between child hood dreams and reality.
Your money, your choice. Just don't jump too quickly into a never ending money pit that has no bottom. Advice is cheap, once you sign on the dotted line your committed. Many C-2s for sale for this reason. Years from now they will be come the Model As no one wants in favor of new technology. Its only a name, a status symbol. Learn from the Harley Davidson experience from waiting three months to having them as plentiful as everyday used cars.
Good luck with your search. Let us know when the shine wears off and the for sale sign appears.
I'm not sure I think the OP should be told flat-out he's making a "huge mistake." Most of the advice here, including my own, is for him to drive a C2 and see what he thinks. The upkeep on the C2 can in no way eclipse the depreciation on a C6 or C7, I learned the hard way on the C6. Sure, there's a maintenance cost. The OP is old enough to remember driving cars without modern engineering, I'm not sure he would be very surprised at what a well-sorted C2 offered him.

I do agree that future values are probably not heading into the stratosphere, I've said it myself. But it's not any worse decision than a new one, by a long shot. I think the feeling many of us have about these cars is that they are not a status symbol- they are a lovely shape in motion, crafted when pleasing surfaces weren't so restricted by crash-tests, beautiful to behold sitting still or rolling. Some people buy for status, no doubt.

If the OP "signs the line" his commitment is really very little- the market is stronger today than it was 5 years ago, and a switch would be easy.

I think you mean the post to be one of caution, but you make the C2 sound like a dismal experience for all but the most mechanical of us. I can assure you from me to JohnZ to Steve and beyond we are all just enthusiastic about the cars with differing interest in how one ticks...

P.S. to the OP: the difference between childhood dreams and reality is this: actually owning and driving one is BETTER than I ever hoped.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I'm not sure I think the OP should be told flat-out he's making a "huge mistake." Most of the advice here, including my own, is for him to drive a C2 and see what he thinks. The upkeep on the C2 can in no way eclipse the depreciation on a C6 or C7, I learned the hard way on the C6. Sure, there's a maintenance cost. The OP is old enough to remember driving cars without modern engineering, I'm not sure he would be very surprised at what a well-sorted C2 offered him.

I do agree that future values are probably not heading into the stratosphere, I've said it myself. But it's not any worse decision than a new one, by a long shot. I think the feeling many of us have about these cars is that they are not a status symbol- they are a lovely shape in motion, crafted when pleasing surfaces weren't so restricted by crash-tests, beautiful to behold sitting still or rolling. Some people buy for status, no doubt.

If the OP "signs the line" his commitment is really very little- the market is stronger today than it was 5 years ago, and a switch would be easy.

I think you mean the post to be one of caution, but you make the C2 sound like a dismal experience for all but the most mechanical of us. I can assure you from me to JohnZ to Steve and beyond we are all just enthusiastic about the cars with differing interest in how one ticks...

P.S. to the OP: the difference between childhood dreams and reality is this: actually owning and driving one is BETTER than I ever hoped.

Like one wise man said... everyone has an opinion. This one just happens to be mine. OP is going to buy what ever he chooses so my comments will not make or break the issue. I just hate to see an older person with no experience dive into a fifty year old car and be disappointed. If one dreams long enough it becomes reality. I hope he reads the forum enough to grasp car, parts, and repair prices . Having owned Corvettes for forty plus years I have a good idea what is acceptable and what is a deep hole. I wish him the best of luck and hope he is very happy with the search and end result.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I'll be 70 this year. I have a '62, a '00 C-5, and a '09 C-6. If your idea of fun is to get out on the open road and cruise, then go for the newer cars. They are great, comfortable, fast, pretty good gas mileage, and need only basic maintance. If you only want to do limited driving, going to shows, cruise nights and short jaunts around town then go for the C-2. Although I like all three that I have, if it is to go in some comfort along with reliability and no maintance (I've had to C-5 since new and only have changed oil/filter and one set of tires. That's it in 14 years. Car has 36k miles)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
A C2 is an investment whereas a C6 is a depreciating asset. If you buy a good C2 and maintain it, it should keep its value or even appreciate in the years to come. Not so a C6 or any late-model car, for that matter.
The same was said back when the C-2s were new. There are some new cars that will retain value and will be very desirable in a few years. Especially when laws mandate things such as fuel mileage, etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
A C2 is an investment whereas a C6 is a depreciating asset. If you buy a good C2 and maintain it, it should keep its value or even appreciate in the years to come. Not so a C6 or any late-model car, for that matter.
Well, I bought my '67 in '71 for $1800, so I can't argue about the C2 investment point, but - I bought my '06 LMB 3LT Z51 in '08 for $30k, and it's worth 28k or 29k today, so............

Point is, buy the right car at the right price and you don't have to take a big hit on depreciation - even on a C6!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
There is nothing similar about them but the name. I owned a C6 from new and sold last year and bought a '64.

Make sure you drive a couple examples of BOTH and find where your heart is. If your heart is with the C2, buy one and consign yourself to having it worked on. Nothing will replace the experience.

The C6 is a fantastic driving, super low maintenance modern missile. I still like them very much- more than the C7 in fact.

If ride quality and superior handling are a must, you will know after a few test drives you need a C6. I will not be going back to a modern one, but I'm 33 and the tinkering is actually a bonus for me. You cannot beat the look and aura of an old one, driving it or admiring it in the garage with greasy knuckles (which I happily have now as I write).

Let us know what you find!
If you change 33 to 32 I could of written this post. Taking the C2 out just is a more "special" event, you know you are in your toy car. The one drawback to a C5/C6 for me was they are everywhere, I usually am the only c2 on the road it seems. Either way, they (c2's) are mostly simple creatures, and with some patience and research there wont be much you cant handle if you find a solid example to start with.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Regarding maintenance.... My Dad picked up his 67 less than a year ago and I'll never forget my brother's comment about it after he spent some time with it. He says to me: "I can fix almost anything on this car with a screwdriver and adjustable wrench!" he also said "I understand this car, how it is put together, and I'm not intimidated by it"

So a thing to consider is that even though the midyear cars may require more maintenance they aren't complicated machines for the most part.

The C5 and beyond though... here are some examples:
--A driver's power seat can cause the car to not start.
--Low voltage can allow the car to start but not do whatever else and it will set codes to cause it to stall out at 2 mph.
--many many more. Now, these are well documented but they require research and figuring things out vs. the more obvious C2 issues.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Matt
If you change 33 to 32 I could of written this post. Taking the C2 out just is a more "special" event, you know you are in your toy car. The one drawback to a C5/C6 for me was they are everywhere, I usually am the only c2 on the road it seems. Either way, they (c2's) are mostly simple creatures, and with some patience and research there wont be much you cant handle if you find a solid example to start with.
I knew you were one of the young ones with me,Matt! And, change the 33 to a 34 so I'm not a liar- forgot my birthday earlier this month!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Now recounting your thread, you started with C2 and C6, but by Post #3 your subconscious mind had added C7! Thus we guys should get a formal Corvette Psychologist to be available here on this forum!

Normally on older cars, I tend to not recommend them to guys with no mechanical/repair ability or capability, but then I don't know what type of wallet ability and capability you have! You could possibly get a good car that only needs oil changes, but I would bet the odds are against you! I could see having a lot of fun in the new C7 (Freudian slip coming from me). You guys ignore that I posted up a recommendation for a C7 or C6 Z-06! But I can always deny that I made this post. I can always claim someone got ahold of my forum identity and posted up stuff that I normally would not have said!

PS just don't total the C7, sliding out on your brother's drool!
Did somebody call for a psychologist? I had a practice for 35 years but I could never cure myself of the Corvette problems. I was a Corvette fan about 17 years before I became a shrink so perhaps I can help. Join the New England chapter of NCRS. Don't even think that these guys are stuff shirt-purists. They are all gearheads and would welcome a guy who simply loves the early cars. They are also a great source of information about good repair shops, etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniper168gr
Did Chevrolet make Corvettes after 67?

Sorry... couldn't resist being an a$$!
Yup - and they still even make Sting Rays.................
Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Yup - and they still even make Sting Rays.................
LOL!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

The real question is did they make Corvettes after 1954. That six banger and trips was an awesome combo!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

All I can say is if handling and ride are important to you, then the C2 is not going to come close in those categories UNLESS you mean you like handling and ride comparable to a Conestoga.

The C2's are time machines - they take you back to the time when things were simple and less complicated. I have a 63 and a 10, and it's awesome to get out of one and into another. One makes the other more enjoyable because of the contrast, but for me (weeks away from 60) I would keep the 63 if I could only have one.

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether to buy