C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need advice on whether to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Joe,
lookup Paul (capevettes) out in Sandwich MA.
He is one of the best, most fun guys right near you in the hobby.
He has all the generations covered from C1 to C6, with the exception of C4. Bring a 6 pack along to break the ice, and he will let you spin tires in all his vettes. Make friends with him and he will link you into the whole network of resources you need to play this game, if you have the wallet for it.
get er done!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by djscoe
I'm in Marshfield, MA about 35 miles SE of Boston. I'm starting to look into the local Corvette clubs and will be attending every one I can.
Woo hoo, I grew up in Hyde Park...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Personally, I think you only go around once. In 10 years youll be 71... do you want to sit there and say, "sure wish I bought that C2 I always wanted.
I must admit the thought of me on my death bed asking myself why I didn't do it, helped me pull the trigger.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Joe,

There is a NCRS chapter meet may 9-10 in east providence. It would be a great place to see and speak with the owners of the older generation cars. I think you will learn a lot from talking to them.

Greg
Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Hmm - well, I'm 64 and I own both a C2 and a C6, so I think I understand the dilemma! I'd be hard pressed to choose if I had to give up either one.

First and foremost, do you own other cars for daily use? If not, go with the C6 for a daily driver.

My C2 is great for short trips, say 4 hours/200 miles +/- tops, but I'm spoiled by the C6 for longer trips.

How do you intend to use the car? What alternatives do you have?

Nice to have these kinds of first world problems, isn't it? We are all very fortunate!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe,

Joining a local NCRS chapter or a local Corvette club is really very good advice to introduce you to the hobby.

If you are not mechanically inclined but really want a C2, buy a car that is done so that it only requires routine TLC. Otherwise, you will get tired of working on it long before you every get a chance to enjoy it. I have bought plenty of project cars from such owners in the past. In fact the 61 I'm doing now is such a car. My advice, spend the $$$ for a done car (notice I didn't necessarily say a restored original car).

Also keep in mind that if you purchase a C2, the body and frame are the most expensive parts of the car. Replacement motor, trans, rear, etc. are all low cost compared to the aforementioned items.

If you go the NCRS route, you will pay a lot of money for the car and probably won't drive it much since you will spoil your investment if one of the original parts is damaged (e.g., motor). If you think you will enjoy making the car "correct" as per NCRS, then this will be the way to go. Again, it will depend on what you enjoy.

My advice is buy a non-matching numbered car (motor, trans, etc.) and you won't worry about driving it. A solid body and frame are the primary items for me when buying an older Corvette.

Hey... for what it's worth!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

A C2 is an investment whereas a C6 is a depreciating asset. If you buy a good C2 and maintain it, it should keep its value or even appreciate in the years to come. Not so a C6 or any late-model car, for that matter.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Also sit in them both. I have had corvettes since I was 15 and the mid year cars are the most comfortable. I'm in my 30s, have a c2 and c5. The c2 is vastly more comfortable to get in and out of. If you buy one at a fair price you have little to lose.... A c6 will continue to go down but not a bad time to buy as values are suppressed.

Another option is a lower end mid year and a c5. Best of both worlds?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Soon after I got my '63 my neighbor really wanted one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I bought one on the cheap end and do what ever it needs myself.

When my neighbor asked me for help finding one I told him he would have to spend twice what I spent. I told him first of all I got a great price on the one I bought and if something has to be done, I can do it.

He tried for a while to find a car in the $30k range and just couldn't find one he liked as much as mine. I found a couple for him in the $45-$50 range and talked him into going for it. He ended up getting his for $45k.

He loves his car. It's nicer than mine because all the work that I've been doing to mine is already done on his. It has a 5 speed, it's a convertible, new crate engine and the paint is near perfect.

I couldn't afford the one he bought, but again I can do the work myself. He can't do any of the work, but he hasn't had to touch it in the last few years other than to put gas in it.

As said above, you just can't go wrong with a C2 for appeal and fun as long as it has been refurbished or restomoded. Good luck with your search and if you have the cash, don't be afraid to spend it because you will get most of it back when you sell it. If you don't do any harm to it, you will most likely make money.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have the checkbook go for one that has been retro-roded. You end up with the best of both worlds, new modern drive train and suspension with the old car look. You can buy one done or buy a project and have it done, expensive in either case but you end up with a hand built car with a lot of fun time in it. I know of one that will probably be on the market soon done by one of the best in the business.

Tyler
Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I think a ride/drive in a C2 will seal the deal for you!! I had dreamed of having one since I was 6, and finally had the chance to get one...I also have a C6 Z06, and I can definitely say it'd be the first to go if I had to part with one! C2's can be really nice driver cars too, you just have to be patient and find the right one for you and what you want out of the car. So many of these cars have been slightly, and highly modded, that you can find everything from a stock ride, to the equivelent of a C6 Z06 in C2 clothing...

Take your time and choose the right car for you...Sounds like, in the end, it'll be some form of a C2! enjoy the search!!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
KSL '67 101234
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy the best restored C2 you can afford and find the best mechanic in town. Whatever you pay someone else to maintain your C2 will be less than a newer model's depreciation! You live once, and at 61 treat yourself. I waited 40 years before I bought my '67, and I have no regrets.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
scottydogmd
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KSL '67 101234
Buy the best restored C2 you can afford and find the best mechanic in town. Whatever you pay someone else to maintain your C2 will be less than a newer model's depreciation! You live once, and at 61 treat yourself. I waited 40 years before I bought my '67, and I have no regrets.
I'm 61 also, and waited over 30 years to buy my 1966. I do virtually no work on my car myself, relying on a good mechanic. If you find the right car that's in good solid condition, you really should't have to put a lot of money into it. When I get behind the wheel, nothing emotionally recharges me like this car. If you feel the same, after driving a couple, go for it and cross it off your bucket list. As said above, if you decide to sell it, you'll probably won't lose anything. The car you buy will define your experience, whether it's a C2 or C6. Get an expert to help you find that right car and guide you through the process. . Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM
fastfreddie63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djscoe
Maybe some day I can acquire enough skills to at least do some of it.
With a service manual, assembly manual, and this forum you might be surprised at how much you can actually do. You learn a lot by just fixing it yourself. You'll get more enjoyment out of your car by doing some things yourself. Yes, certain things are best left to the experts who have specialty tools but much can be accomplished with basic tools and the knowledge found here.

Last edited by fastfreddie63; 04-22-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the C2 and if it gets old than get the C6. We only got one life to live so enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

By the way, the fact that you posted here says a lot about where your heart probably lies...with us! The C6 forum side would tell you almost invariably not to buy a dinosaur!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

djscoe - Welcome to the forum. It is definitely the place to be.

Here's my opinion....buy what you love. With being here on this site and by attending some Corvette club meetings, you'll not only meet some of the nicest folks, you'll get an education.

When you go to buy, please have one or more of these new friends, that are Corvette guru's, go with you. It's your money, but if done correctly, even after time, you will still more than likely be able to recoup your money.

The other thing I would say is to stay away from a Fuelie car. There is nothing wrong with a Fuelie, except if there is a problem. That is the one motor that I believe requires some mechanical experience. It's also something a bit more difficult to find someone who knows enough to be able to work on and get it right.

Good Luck and please keep us posted,
RK

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on whether to buy

Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Your going to look back at this as a huge mistake. With very few mechanical abilities your going to pay for worn items you never knew existed. Stepping back fifty years, few use them as daily drivers. Your not 21 and can crawl under cars for repairs. Buy a C-6 0r 7, enjoy the car every day, get great service, mileage, and enjoy modern technology. The money you stick in a C-2 will cost many dollars a mile. Big difference between child hood dreams and reality.
Your money, your choice. Just don't jump too quickly into a never ending money pit that has no bottom. Advice is cheap, once you sign on the dotted line your committed. Many C-2s for sale for this reason. Years from now they will be come the Model As no one wants in favor of new technology. Its only a name, a status symbol. Learn from the Harley Davidson experience from waiting three months to having them as plentiful as everyday used cars.
Good luck with your search. Let us know when the shine wears off and the for sale sign appears.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Jim Hughes
Cruising

Great advice on this string. C2s engage you more emotionally than the later generations. They keep you more active since they require more frequent maintenance like oil changes, etc. You spend more time in your garage staring at it, fiddling with it. Strangers engage with you, recalling their youthful experiences, on the road and at every gas stop. There are more opportunities to place it in shows for more social interaction and greater knowledge of the marque. Classic cars are a magic carpet that takes you to new automotive experiences that modern automobiles can never achieve. But it comes at a price in terms of cost of upkeep, rime expended, convenience, versatility, drivability, not to mention the greater psychic energy you expend safeguarding it. If this hobby is what you're looking for, you have your answer. If not, maybe the C6 is a better choice. I fell in love with Corvettes when I was a little boy and now have a '66 427 4-speed convertible and a '13 C6 427 convertible. If push came to shove, the '13 would definitely get the boot.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Maybe the best of both worlds resto Mod ? oops ouch sorry

Quick Reply: Need advice on whether to buy