C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Soft Top Frame Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Top Frame Install

Hi All,

I am about to install a soft top and frame on a soft top delete car.
As there are no latches on the rear deck I need to cut out the holes for the latches. Has anybody done this job before and can offer advice/tips so they can be aligned correctly.
Thanks Phil
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by veeeight
Hi All,

I am about to install a soft top and frame on a soft top delete car.
As there are no latches on the rear deck I need to cut out the holes for the latches. Has anybody done this job before and can offer advice/tips so they can be aligned correctly.
Thanks Phil
44 hits and nobody would suggest his shift linkage might be out of adjustment?

Oh wait! The first one that sticks his head up will tell him to put a Hurst shifter in it and that will fix it!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

I'll take a stab at it.
It would involve a willing owner using his C2 soft top deck lid to trace out and model a pattern from. The hold down deck lock assemblies would also need to be removed.

I would tape down masking paper over the rear deck in such a way to hold it in place so an accurate tracing can be made of the edge outlines of the donor deck. With the masking paper taped in place and using the side of a pencil held at about a 45 degree angle the idea is to carefully trace the rear edge line of the rear deck and also the deck lock holes.

Transferred and taped down to your rear deck the pattern will serve as an accurate layout template to locate the deck lock holes. With the holes laid out use plenty of tape around the cutout outline to protect the paint.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 AM
veeeight
Instructor

Anybody else willing to pass on some advice. Except MikeM
Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by veeeight
Anybody else willing to pass on some advice. Except MikeM
The inner panel of the top compartment lid already has the holes in it for the rear bow latches - you just need to create the holes in the outer panel. Once you have the top frame bolted to the lock pillars and adjusted to the door glass and windshield frame, the position of the rear bow will tell you where to cut and mount the latches.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM
veeeight
Instructor

Thanks JohnZ. That's the way I thought it would be best to find the exact position of the rear latches.
So I will mount the frame and adjust it to the windows etc and then the rear bow should be in the final position for the latches to be fitted.
Phil
Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The inner panel of the top compartment lid already has the holes in it for the rear bow latches - you just need to create the holes in the outer panel. Once you have the top frame bolted to the lock pillars and adjusted to the door glass and windshield frame, the position of the rear bow will tell you where to cut and mount the latches.
That's what I did with my 62. I was very happy to lift the deck lid and see the outline of exactly where the latch went. I drilled tiny holes from underneath, then connected the dots from the top. Small body file to get it exact. I didn't used any painter's tape on the top surface and didn't have any paint lift, but you might want to use some.

Get notified of new replies

To Soft Top Frame Install

Quick Reply: Soft Top Frame Install