C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Proper Way To Latch and Un-latch A Convertible Roof on a C2 Corvette

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
Actually, usually a technical writer writes the manuals....everyone knows engineers cant spell!!
I used to be a technical writer. I've known many engineers who were outstanding writers. However, I know at least 2 engineers who lost their jobs because no one could figure out what they were saying when they put pen to paper. Ironically, those with the most difficulty with their writing were always the last to ask for help while the good writers would ask for help when they didn't need it.

-- Steve
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just had a new top installed a few weeks back and was told to just hook the latches on the front, push the back fasteners down 2 clicks, and then latch the top.

If I'm not mistaken, those are pretty close to the instructions in the owners' manual.

-- Steve
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakes64
IMHO: Big mistake. You should never store top down for the very reason you have. The top will shrink. I won't even leave mine overnight with the top down (never maybe an overstatement, lets say rarely).
I have to disagree here. It is one thing to be worried about wrinkles but shrinkage? My car had a new top installed two owners ago... Then the top was basically down for 5 years. This would also happen to anyone with both tops with an extended hard top installation.

I store it up if I'm not going to drive it for a while but otherwise go with the flow. This pic is up without any sun/heat to let the wrinkles out
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I have to disagree here. It is one thing to be worried about wrinkles but shrinkage? My car had a new top installed two owners ago... Then the top was basically down for 5 years. This would also happen to anyone with both tops with an extended hard top installation.

I store it up if I'm not going to drive it for a while but otherwise go with the flow. This pic is up without any sun/heat to let the wrinkles out
Looks like a Stayfast top. Believe they are more forgiving than the standard top
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
Looks like a Stayfast top. Believe they are more forgiving than the standard top
Yep... Hadn't thought of it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proper Way To Latch and Un-latch A Convertible Roof on a C2 Corvette