C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield Placement For Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 PM
jcarmichael
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Windshield Placement For Hardtop

I placed the hardtop on the 1957 body and the pins for the receiver brackets are too far forward. I know there was a complete thread on installing the windshield with measurements on here somewhere but none of my searches turn up anything. The hardtop also doesn't fit the windshield frame too well. I think the windshield is not set in correctly.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm no expert, but from what I have read, the shims that are at each side under the rear corner of the windshield should make the top of the windshield go forward. I think I remember reading that you can start off with three per side, and that should get you pretty close, or at least if you are headed in the right direction. You also adjust the windows to fit the hardtop once you have it where you want it. Also, pay attention to the sequence recommended for latching the front and rear latches. You can break them. Good luck
Old 04-21-2014, 12:04 AM
jcarmichael
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
I'm no expert, but from what I have read, the shims that are at each side under the rear corner of the windshield should make the top of the windshield go forward. I think I remember reading that you can start off with three per side, and that should get you pretty close, or at least if you are headed in the right direction. You also adjust the windows to fit the hardtop once you have it where you want it. Also, pay attention to the sequence recommended for latching the front and rear latches. You can break them. Good luck
Thanks for the reply but right now there are no shims and the hardtop seems too far forward. I wonder if I need to shave the mounting area to allow the windshield to move back a little. I worked with the side to side placememt and that got the hardtop to lay down on the header better.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jcarmichael
Thanks for the reply but right now there are no shims and the hardtop seems too far forward. I wonder if I need to shave the mounting area to allow the windshield to move back a little. I worked with the side to side placememt and that got the hardtop to lay down on the header better.
Do you have the weatherstrip that goes between the windshield frame and body in place? I think that might make a difference if it isn't in there. Let me know, I am gonna have that project before too long.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jcarmichael
I placed the hardtop on the 1957 body and the pins for the receiver brackets are too far forward. I know there was a complete thread on installing the windshield with measurements on here somewhere but none of my searches turn up anything. The hardtop also doesn't fit the windshield frame too well. I think the windshield is not set in correctly.
How far are the pins off?
Is the body sitting on the frame with the car sitting on it's tires? These cars flex a lot so don't attempt any body adjustments without the car sitting on the ground.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
jcarmichael
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettekent
How far are the pins off?
Is the body sitting on the frame with the car sitting on it's tires? These cars flex a lot so don't attempt any body adjustments without the car sitting on the ground.
I hadn't thought about the windshield rubber and the body is not sitting on the frame so I guess I was getting ahead of myself trying to see if the hardtop fit.

Thanks for all the replies and I will let you know how it fits later when the body is properly shimmed to the frame.

Jim C

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Placement For Hardtop

Quick Reply: Windshield Placement For Hardtop