C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

GM Engineering Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 PM
atlastc6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default GM Engineering Sticker

I recently was able to purchase a 64 Convertible 327/365 that my father was the original owner of (thanks to Easy Rhino) It has this parking sticker on the rear-view mirror. Trying to document ownership history. would be interested to know who at GM owned it after my father. Any ideas let them be known
Attached Images  

Last edited by atlastc6; 04-19-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you certain your father was the original owner?

GM Tech Center (and other GM engineering centers) assigned new cars to engineers and management employees for "evaluation". They were driven about 6 months and then sold as used cars at substantial discount (paperwork done by GM dealers, who got a cut, because GM had agreements with their dealers that prevented GM from selling direct). The cars were usually sold to other GM employees who were not in a position that afforded them a company car, but expressed interest by signing up on a list for specific models and accessories. Employees who purchased such cars had to agree to keep the car at least a year, but some of them did not honor that pledge and bought/sold the cars to supplement their income. The list of employees vying for the cars was a 2-tier list, with higher-up employees getting first dibs on cars being sold.

I worked at the Chevrolet Engineering Center (north of Detroit) back in the day; we did not have parking stickers, but I think the GM Tech Center next door did restrict parking, so any car undergoing engineering "evaluation" by an employee, or any car owned by an employee, probably had a parking sticker.

If your dad was not a GM employee, he still might have purchased it from a dealer as the "original" owner (although, Corvettes normally were in demand and were snapped up by employees offered that opportunity... I recall in 1963 there were probably two or three times more wanna-be buyers than there were evaluation Corvettes).
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM
atlastc6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Yes. on the original owner, I have the original bill of sale from Industrial Motor Sales, Ecorse Michigan dated Dec 17,1963 for a whopping $ 4270.15 delivered
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by waynec
Are you certain your father was the original owner?

GM Tech Center (and other GM engineering centers) assigned new cars to engineers and management employees for "evaluation". They were driven about 6 months and then sold as used cars at substantial discount (paperwork done by GM dealers, who got a cut, because GM had agreements with their dealers that prevented GM from selling direct). The cars were usually sold to other GM employees who were not in a position that afforded them a company car, but expressed interest by signing up on a list for specific models and accessories. Employees who purchased such cars had to agree to keep the car at least a year, but some of them did not honor that pledge and bought/sold the cars to supplement their income. The list of employees vying for the cars was a 2-tier list, with higher-up employees getting first dibs on cars being sold.

I worked at the Chevrolet Engineering Center (north of Detroit) back in the day; we did not have parking stickers, but I think the GM Tech Center next door did restrict parking, so any car undergoing engineering "evaluation" by an employee, or any car owned by an employee, probably had a parking sticker.

If your dad was not a GM employee, he still might have purchased it from a dealer as the "original" owner (although, Corvettes normally were in demand and were snapped up by employees offered that opportunity... I recall in 1963 there were probably two or three times more wanna-be buyers than there were evaluation Corvettes).
o'please tell us more about your years at GM,
Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by waynec
Correct. GM Engineering Staff was inside the guarded Tech Center and all employees had to have a parking pass to park their personal car inside the Tech Center. I remember the guard stopped me on my first day to check my pass because he hadn't seen me before.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
Correct. GM Engineering Staff was inside the guarded Tech Center and all employees had to have a parking pass to park their personal car inside the Tech Center. I remember the guard stopped me on my first day to check my pass because he hadn't seen me before.
Yup - I worked at Chevrolet Engineering (CEC), but spent a LOT of time on the Tech Center side at Styling, Engineering Staff, and Manufacturing Development, and had to have a Tech Center pass clipped on the mirror support (I still have it ) to get through the gate.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:50 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

How cool is that. Do you remember that sticker on the rear view mirror as a kid?

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 04-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 PM
atlastc6
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
How cool is that. Do you remember that sticker on the rear view mirror as a kid?

It was a subsequent owner, who had worked for GM .. would love to track them down. I'm hitting nothing but dead ends..

Get notified of new replies

To GM Engineering Sticker

Quick Reply: GM Engineering Sticker