C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

L84 vs LT1

Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM

Not taking anything away from you or your car. It runs good for whatever subtle mods you've done to it. I have had an L 79/L84 both in a Chevy II since 1966 so I have a pretty fair idea of what they'll do and what they won't do.
I don't believe you do.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default ?

The allegation/implication was that a factory stock L-79 engine was more powerful than a 365/375 engine in stock condition and would run faster/quicker ET's and trap speeds.

That is simply not true and don't change the subject!

"57 Chevys off the showroom floor would probably road test in the high 16's, mid 90's in the quarter. NHRA stocker, last I heard was deep in the 12's. Still "stock" according to their rules.

Compare apples to apples.
I don't recall anyone saying anything about an L-79 being faster than anything. I pulled it into the conversation because someone participating has an extremely well tuned and running one, and the family of engines if you know much about the small block builds coming from that era you can extrapolate a level of performance from comparisons better between engines/and performance that are very similar but with some differences! Then the Stock drag class and the record cars are about the most tuned examples of the breed and don't compare to real world street, but definitely help you put them in the order of performance. That 11.34 117.5 is awesome for what the engine specs are.
Honestly I haven't ran a recent engine build down an actual track in a number of years. So I am with an education and educated guess believing I am solidly in the low 11 seconds, but I have port work, road racing tires/suspension and it isn't set up per se for a drag race run with the 3.55 and Richmond 6spd. If I am only in the 11seconds, then I feel like I might have to work on my tune or I am actually into the solid high 10's and just don't know it!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

I don't recall anyone saying anything about an L-79 being faster than anything.
The discussion started out about a comparison between a stock LT1 and a stock L84.

Post #2 came back with road test results from two different magazines which compared both of those stock cars.

Post #3 starts taking it downhill with the remark that so and so's L 79 is way faster than either of them.

Later posts talk about rules interpretations, etc. Nothing to do with original rebuttal I made about the comparisons except that they weren't relevant to my comments because my comments were directed to STOCK cars. Not modified.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I don't believe you do.
We could find out whether I do or I don't when I get it back together with the L 84 in it. I'm about half done.

This picture it ran 12.6/110 with a OTC 340/327. Later had a 327/360 and then a L 84. Later yet, 327/350 as pulled from a wreck. The latter combo, it ran 8.0 flat consistently in the 1/8th.

The second picture is what my short block looked like. I'm pretty sure yours doesn't look quite like that but I'm game for a race anyway.

Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

it's .030 over, it have been balanced and blue printed, it runs a little more than 11:1 compression.

stock crank
stock rods
heavier than stock pistons
rings with gaps
stock, untouched heads
GM 151 cam

It makes less than 300 RWHP......... it's a modified monster.
Donny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that you took Duke's suggestion of an LT-1 solid lifter cam for your build and that the heads were pocket ported as suggested in the Chevy power book. I also remember a few posts by Duke in which he used your car as an example of his strong opinion on the LT-1 cam.

Again, my memory may be bad and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate your car runs real good and I'm not trying to knock it or you.

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 04-21-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Recently returned back from a four day fishing trip. The Captain of the Seabiscuit from MIT said MikeM is waaaay too frugal to have anything that runs well.

rustylugnuts
Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Recently returned back from a four day fishing trip. The Captain of the Seabiscuit from MIT said MikeM is waaaay too frugal to have anything that runs well.

rustylugnuts
I want to know if you snagged any of them there billfish while you were trolling for mackerel?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
Donny, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that you took Duke's suggestion of an LT-1 solid lifter cam for your build and that the heads were pocket ported as suggested in the Chevy power book. I also remember a few posts by Duke in which he used your car as an example of his strong opinion on the LT-1 cam.

Again, my memory may be bad and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate your car runs real good and I'm not trying to knock it or you.
You are thinking of 6T5RUSH's milano maroon Corvette..... easy mistake to make.

Mike,

I have some nudies of my motor too, and I assure you, they look just like yours.

I will post tonight.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You are thinking of 6T5RUSH's milano maroon Corvette..... easy mistake to make.

Mike,

I have some nudies of my motor too, and I assure you, they look just like yours.

I will post tonight.
Thanks for the correction Donny, I was going on memory and must have confused you with 6T5RUSH.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default And directly related to LT-1's and L-84's, if you don't caught a Billfish

I want to know if you snagged any of them there billfish while you were trolling for mackerel?
Then you are eating your bait for dinner! (How do you all think Anchovy Pizza got started! )

Mike I hate to compliment you, but that is a neat old ride looking car!
Some of the guys on here can tune pretty darn good!
Forget the LT-1/L-84 conversations, some of the participant stories, times and cars and such are more interesting when the difference as stated by one member between an LT-1 and an L-84 would come down to the Driver's ability, they are so close! Both 100mph quarter cars, thus they would be crossing the line dirt stock (no tuning around the 14 second flat to 14 seconds and some change range!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-21-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I'd bet there's more than a handful of L 84 and LT 1 owners in the crowd with factory stock engines and tune that could settle this one real quick if they wanted to get involved. Too many onlookers and not enough posters.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Both 100mph quarter cars, thus they would be crossing the line dirt stock (no tuning around the 14 second flat to 14 seconds and some change range!
This is a true statement. I'm glad you agree with my humble opinions.

Are you related to John Schneider (Duke Boys)?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I only have about 1/2 dozen famous relatives, but

This is a true statement. I'm glad you agree with my humble opinions.

Are you related to John Schneider (Duke Boys)?
now that they are famous, they don't claim to be family anymore!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Bowlerdude,

Yeh, right church, wrong pew, LOL!

Fork in the road...I'm the guy that went right, LT-1 vs. the 30/30....which is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Really enjoying this bench racing session.

Really believe the way Donny's L-79 is setup along with unsaid minor tweaks (no suggestion here Donny of going outside any Pure Stock rules), Donny is able to drive that '66 just a little better than the average L-79 Vette owner can. Again, kudos to your driving ability. Oh, doing this on bias ply tires is really an advantage as they are stickier than radial tires which is how I raced mine.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default To break this down!

Are we comparing the Cars or just the engines?

If we are talking bench dyno!

Comparison between the Camshafts, comparison between the Intake Manifold and the Fuelie unit and so on! Etc..

I got off thinking as to why my relative John doesn't bring the Charger over so we can go cruising! And forgot what the thread was for (cars or engine). I guess I will return to Post #1 and answer my own question!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Mike I hate to compliment you, but that is a neat old ride looking car!
This was my inspiration as I couldn't afford a Corvette back then:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...r=10337&page=2
'
Scroll down to post #10302. You seem to like this kind of stuff.

This inspired me to drop out of college and get a real job so I could make some money and get what I wanted.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Like I said(asked) that car runs about 6-7 mph faster than a stocker. Where do you think that extra power came from? A stock setup? Splain that for me lucy.

Obviously, it has Pertronix ignition and non-bias, radial tires.

Get notified of new replies

To L84 vs LT1

Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I don't remember what I called myself on that forum!

This was my inspiration as I couldn't afford a Corvette back then:

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...r=10337&page=2
'
Scroll down to post #10302. You seem to like this kind of stuff.

This inspired me to drop out of college and get a real job so I could make some money and get what I wanted.
On that Supercar Registry forum I had taken a name and created a password and then forgot who I was, and never went thru the trouble to retrieve it, but then I don't remember what email I was using either, so I haven't been on there in a few years formally, but I look in periodically!

Because my actual Race Car 64 Roadster was partially prepped and tuned by Bill Thomas while under former Don Steves sponsorship, I always take an interest in any of that type of stuff and there actually was one mag picture that I didn't have. Bill Thomas's tuned Cars were pretty dominate on the street also. I wrote recently where I had found the Bill Thomas 427 Camaro basically outperformed the DANA Chevrolet 427 Camaro when they both were loaned for testing. Come to think of it, there were a couple of the Cheetahs drag racing back then, and I have never integrated them into my own personal All Time quickest car list (1/4 mile). The All Time fastest car list is for Top Speed and has Bugatti Veyrons and Shelby SSC, 9ff's, Hennessey Venoms, and such on it!

But thanks for the link! Now that I am liking the Supercar Forum again, maybe you guys won't see so much of me for a few weeks!

PS Mike! THUS Trying to get rid of me? THUS I graduated the ateght grade, THUS so don't take me as being that gullible! THUS I learnt 2 reed & wright!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-21-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default An 80's guy!

Originally Posted by Diablo427
Obviously, it has Pertronix ignition and non-bias, radial tires.
Dead give away, Pertronix (started I think with the Cal Look VW's-- little light diode and a spinning plastic shaft mounted disk with window slots, and we all know when Radials came into the picture after the extinction of the Duck""bill"" Dinosaur! I bet you had a Wink Mirror also! But what a fun period of time! Jamming with your Bon Jovi while eating your Anchovy pizza!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Yes I know they had ads---->

Originally Posted by Diablo427
Not 80s stuff. Don't you know that it is funny how anything that has the word Pertonix in it will get a ferocious response if there is even a hint that it will help with performance. Didn't you see the smiley face?
Listed back in the 1960/70's before the last dinosaur died off in the mid 1980's! The advent of the VW unit, was the last swan sound!

PS I think I also saw an ad in the early 2000's also! Well they do keep discovering what was thought to have been extinct species!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L84 vs LT1