C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Questions on 64 Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Questions on 64 Fan Shroud

Here's a couple of pic's of the fan shroud from my 64. While sanding it down to clean it up for paint, I uncovered, (in the 2nd picture) what appears to be the word "ARMCO" embossed into the metal, (the more I sanded the more it exposed itself) anyone know what this is? Was there a Co. named Armco that made the shrouds for GM maybe?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:57 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Armco now AK Steel makes sheet metal for use in the automotive industry. Most sheet metal has the company stamp on it somewhere. Looks like you happen to have a part that had the name on it.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Armco now AK Steel makes sheet metal for use in the automotive industry. Most sheet metal has the company stamp on it somewhere. Looks like you happen to have a part that had the name on it.
Correct - that "ARMCO" is like a watermark, and appeared every six to eight feet on the raw coil stock. It isn't done any more due to much higher standards for exterior sheet metal surface finish without any secondary preparation.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks John, and Wombvette.....nice to know the origins of this stuff, also good to hear that an old American Co. is still in business after all these years......

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on 64 Fan Shroud

Quick Reply: Questions on 64 Fan Shroud