C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Detroit Speed Midyear Headlamp Motor Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I try not to be pusillanimous with my Corvette knowledge (limited though it is) in spite of the sophistry that often abounds here...
Frankie, I think you're one of the last people on here I'd call pusillanimous....lol

All that said, if I wasn't such a lazy cheapskate, the DS headlight motor conversion would be on my list of mods.

So, how come there're everyone who's expressed an opinion seems to think this conversion kit is the "bee's knees", but so many other well proven upgrades/mods get the pooh pooh treatment?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:22 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Trust me, there are plenty of Luddites on this board that will poo-poo this retrofit as well! This is clearly not the type of installation that someone would do on an all-correct car, but it is nice on a driver, especially one that already has non-working motors!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Both turn signals (park lights?) appear to come on while the headlight buckets are rotating out. An NCRS flunk, I suppose, but it would have been even more dramatic in 1963 if St. Louis had made them all that way.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Inama
Since install , I have a battery run down problem. Anybody else experience the problem? Thanks
Joe - I have the same problem. I noticed a couple times when I was driving with high beams on, the headlights would go crazy (closing and opening randomly). That hasn't happened but twice but my Optima drains in about a week. Have not had time to address yet.

Dan
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't think the number of conversions to the DS electronic headlights has reached the point to invoke the ire of "keep everything the way it came from GM" crowd. Won't be long though.

There is already another never-ending debate on electronic ignition conversions vs points taking place in a companion thread.

I still rebuilt my original headlight motors after the conversion and some future owner can put them back in if judging/originality is their goal...
Old 04-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
Joe - I have the same problem. I noticed a couple times when I was driving with high beams on, the headlights would go crazy (closing and opening randomly). That hasn't happened but twice but my Optima drains in about a week. Have not had time to address yet.

Dan
Dan - its imperative that the changes to the electrical connectors be done correctly. The modifications to the wiring in the stock connectors must be done in a manner that ensures the pins are fully and tightly seated in the plastic connector housings. I had a loose one for several weeks resulting in the headlight buckets partially opening and closing at times until I found and fixed it

I think Mike Coletta may have done your conversion - in which case it is no doubt done correctly. So I don't know what else you might have going on...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I can hardly wait to do this to mine. I have the typical driver's side light that is VERY slow and usually requires multiple trips to and from the front to the switch. Once up, it is quiescent (Thanks Frankie the Fink for the use of that word today ) but the same is required to get it down on occasion. I have so much to do to the 67 that I don't know when I'll get to this but hopefully soon. Oh yes, I have Pertronix too.

Last edited by Diablo427; 04-18-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
RGC
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just acquired my '64 Coupe on the weekend and this is one of my first "batch" and imperative purchases...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by RGC
I just acquired my '64 Coupe on the weekend and this is one of my first "batch" and imperative purchases...
I read this thread and was impressed by the video; I'm sure the kit is 100% as awesome as folks say..BUT when I drove my '64 home last year I had only one barely rotating headlight. After cleaning the grungy old motor contacts AND last week buying the ZIP gears (and throwing out the flat washer under the spring washer) my rebuilt originals work great. For $25 each gear and an hour of cleaning, I can't imaging being happier mine flip smoothly in unison in about 3 seconds flat. I'll use the several hundred dollars savings on something else. The moral? If you have a lot you want to do to your car, and you are on a I-Have-A-Coupe-Small-Kids-To-Raise kind of budget, consider saving your old motors!

I don't blame anyone for doing the switch to "lightning fast" either!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

The general consensus on this system seems truly favorable, I think I might go ahead and make me a purchase. Thanks for your input.

Ray
Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Why?

I have a good answer for this question. It's a safety issue, pure and simple. A stock HL motor that fails may very well jam the headlight bucket in a position where you can't even use the thumbwheel (ugh!!!) to get the bucket in the fully opened position. The DS conversion uses friction limited clutches to transfer the motor rotation to the bucket. You can raise the bucket by hand fully and easily even if the whole motor assembly craters.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I am also considering this change. Did you ever buy your kit, Ray?

Last edited by jkuzzy; 04-22-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
I am also considering this change. Did you ever get your kit, Ray?
Kuzz ! I don't even have my car back yet. After 3 years (!) at the body shop after a slight parking lot mishap I delivered it to the painter last evening.

Ray
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Kuzz ! I don't even have my car back yet. After 3 years (!) at the body shop after a slight parking lot mishap I delivered it to the painter last evening.

Ray
LOL...Craaaap. I thought for sure you would have it by now!!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Agree with all the above. Put them and the multi-speed wiper system. Both are awesome improvements.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

So, looking at the video of the white Vette, I guess it also modifies the wiring so the park lights stay on when the headlights are on?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
So, looking at the video of the white Vette, I guess it also modifies the wiring so the park lights stay on when the headlights are on?

Yes that is correct.. I have moved the wire so that the parking lights stay on with the headlights...

I just like it better...

Hitch

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit Speed Midyear Headlamp Motor Upgrade

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Very nice upgrade. Also thought of going with this conversion but in the end, didn't. .. The simple reason was the car not seeing much nighttime driving - just a few times in all of last year.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Very nice upgrade. Also thought of going with this conversion but in the end, didn't. .. The simple reason was the car not seeing much nighttime driving - just a few times in all of last year.
Mine was just the opposite, i drive a lot at night and out of state for shows mostly and it's good to have the lights on, even in the day time at times...the old ones were somewhat undependable...

So, I upgraded...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:58 AM
jrotelmacy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Gerry,

You can adjust the clutch on the motors to make it stiffer. I believe the procedure is spelled out in the install manual. but it is a simple process. It is just a simple friction clutch, and a couple of turns tighter on the clutch, and the problems should be resolved.

The only problem I had with mine, was since my car was a resto-mod and I wanted to hide as much wiring and controls, I picked up the headlight on signal all the way up front at the radiator support. Unfortunately, I forgot that the low beams are not active when high beams are on! The headlights would not come up if the high beams were active when you turn the switch on. As soon as I switched to low beams, the lights would pop up and stay up until the headlight switch was turned off!
They originally intended to pick up the power between the headlight switch and the dimmer switch, which is hot whenever the lights are in either high or low beam. Eventually, I will lick up power from the high beam as well (through a diode so it will not back feed to the low beams), but for now I just have to remember that if they do not pop up, I just need to switch to low beams.

Regards, John McGraw
In fact i have the when driving on a bumpy road or higher speed. The right headlight is closing down a little bit. Can you tell me where exactly is the clutch adjustement on the motore ?

I have not seen anything on that in the doc ??

Quick Reply: Detroit Speed Midyear Headlamp Motor Upgrade