C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327 PCV question. Kinda OT

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 327 PCV question. Kinda OT

Kind of an off topic car but I am trying to install Corvette valve covers.... lol.
I recently purchased a '32 Ford 5 window from an older gentleman who had owned the car for nearly 50 years. It was built in the early 80's so has some typical for the era updates including a V6 from a 79 Pontiac, a mustang II front suspension and a massive 6-3/4" rear from the same Mustang II. It seems sacriligous to not have a V8 in a Deuce coupe so I've recently purchased a fully rebuilt 68 327 275HP engine that will be going in. I'd like to run Corvette non PCV finned valve covers once I've installed the 327. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to set up the PCV system to allow me to do this? I'll be running a Edelbrock Perfromer RPM intake and a Holley 600CFM carb.

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Lots of ways to do it even without the breather hole in the rear of the block. First...make sure you don't have that hole.
You can drill breathers into the covers, get extensions that fit under the covers with holes already in them, or drill the intake to vent the fumes into the air cleaner or carb. Check out the threads on this forum for that topic. And make sure you follow them, including the deflector plates you'll have to use inside where ever you decide.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Lots of ways to do it even without the breather hole in the rear of the block. First...make sure you don't have that hole.
Thanks. I'll do a search. The block is not drilled for the road draft tube. I would have preferred an earlier block, but I got too good of a deal on this engine, and came with all the paperwork from the rebuild shop which is a reputable builder here.
Here is a photo of the intake. Would I be able to use the existing hole in it behind the carb? The car does not have power brakes. I really don't want to alter the valve covers or use a spacer.

Thanks again.

Allan

Last edited by Al T; 04-16-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

The existing hole behind the carb is a vacuum source not a breather port. You can use that vacuum source for your PCV setup but most use the vacuum port at the base of the carb. If you do use that vacuum source you may experience plug fouling in the two cylinders that intake runner serves, depends on a lot of factors.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

you're biggest problem is that you are going to have to have TWO 'penetrations' into the engine; one to draw fumes out to the PCV and one to allow air to be drawn into the engine. if you only pull out you will be pulling (at least trying to...) a vacuum inside the engine and that will wreak havoc as the air has to come from somewhere... gaskets/seals/etc.

normally you could pull fumes in or out from the oil filler tube, but you manifold doesn't have one; and still it would only be one 'penetration.

your best solution would be to get the valve cover spacer with holes, this would allow you to draw air in one side of the engine and out the other. BUT then you have to make sure there is some baffle arrangement to separate out oil vapors/droplets.

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 04-16-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Another solution is to use the '68/later aluminum finned valve covers. The two holes you need are included with these covers.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

like these. they are available without and without the oil filler cap, BUT you have to have some way of putting oil in so the cap would be more convenient but you could pour it into the PCV hole.
Bill
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeM
Another solution is to use the '68/later aluminum finned valve covers. The two holes you need are included with these covers.
I've got a brand new set of those I had bought for the Cameo I have. They aren't quite the look I was going after but they may have to do.
Lot's of good information in prior threads though!

Thanks to all.

Allan
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Al T
I've got a brand new set of those I had bought for the Cameo I have. They aren't quite the look I was going after but they may have to do.
Lot's of good information in prior threads though!

Thanks to all.

Allan
To me, the later covers are the best/cleanest way to solve your problems including adding oil. I had forgotten about that.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

To me, the later covers are the best/cleanest way to solve your problems including adding oil. I had forgotten about that.
The 327 I bought has an oil fill tube.

Allan
Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

I recently purchased a '32 Ford 5 window from an older gentleman who had owned the car for nearly 50 years.

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Pictures PLEASE!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Pictures PLEASE!!!
I was wondering what was taking so long.

Car in the early 70's when he purchased it.

Car the day I purchased it........ with some god awful T-bird hubcaps and other nik-naks needing removal.

.... and on the week-end with a few changes and some temporary more period correct hubcaps.

I've purchased an 11" 5 bolt front brake kit for the Mustang II front end and a '57 Ford 9" for the rear. Once those are in, the car will be getting steel wheels with '57 Ford dog dish caps. 15" on the rear, 14" on the front.

If posting these photos warrants moving this to the off topic thread, please do.

Allan

Last edited by Al T; 04-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

........ but maybe this will get it back on topic

Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The 327 I bought has an oil fill tube.

Allan
Yeah, that's great but when you put the Edelbrock intake on it, you won't have an oil fill tube on the engine any longer.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's great but when you put the Edelbrock intake on it, you won't have an oil fill tube on the engine any longer.
D'oh!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default If I am following this correctly!

You are looking to have
Corvette valve covers
An Intake that mounts a Holley
And an intelligent way to breathe the engine.

First I hate advertising for these manufacturers, and especially Edlebrock (long story)!
For such a vintage ride, that is the last thing I like to see is all of the cast in advertising logos and such! For me the performer which is a dog anyways (provides nothing more than the stock GM units will give you), so that would have to go!

I would stick with a factory dual plane and keep the oil filler tube for a proper vintage correct engine.

And then you can mimic the early 327's except you will install a breather line from the oil filler as suggested, since you don't have the back of the block hole! Some of the oil filler tubes had an extension tube coming off of them! Just get one of those!

Or put a hole thru from the end of the engine galley and vent it on the ends thru the intake rails!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-16-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
You are looking to have
Corvette valve covers
An Intake that mounts a Holley
And an intelligent way to breathe the engine.

First I hate advertising for these manufacturers, and especially Edlebrock (long story)!
For such a vintage ride, that is the last thing I like to see is all of the cast in advertising logos and such! For me the performer which is a dog anyways (provides nothing more than the stock GM units will give you), so that would have to go!

I would stick with a factory dual plane and keep the oil filler tube for a proper vintage correct engine.

And then you can mimic the early 327's except you will install a breather line from the oil filler as suggested, since you don't have the back of the block hole! Some of the oil filler tubes had an extension tube coming off of them! Just get one of those!

Or put a hole thru from the end of the engine galley and vent it on the ends thru the intake rails!
Great suggestion! I actually have a filler tube from a '66. Hmmmmmm

Get notified of new replies

To 327 PCV question. Kinda OT

Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Wow, nothing like a real Deuce Coupe! Thanks

Back on topic...
Looks like your Edelbrock is one with the oil fill tube boss, just needs to be drilled out.

Last edited by 6T7L71CPE; 04-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I didn't want to add that, and hoped no one else would!

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Wow, nothing like a real Deuce Coupe! Thanks

Back on topic...
Looks like your Edelbrock is one with the oil fill tube boss, just needs to be drilled out.

Because I don't like the Edlebrock advertising show!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

easy solution. Don't use a pcv

Quick Reply: 327 PCV question. Kinda OT