C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327 PCV question. Kinda OT

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
easy solution. Don't use a pcv
That's easy but that would never, ever be an option for me. Next to detergent oil and electronic fuel injection, that's one of the best things that ever happened to an internal combustion engine in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You'll notice on your Edelbrock there is a blank where the oil fill tube can go. You just have to drill it out to use it since there's one on your block....could be your easiest solution to get air into the motor anyway. Then drill a hole in the intake straight through to the lifter galley behind the carb (NOT through a runner!), make a baffle for the inside of it, and run a PCV to the carb base of the intake.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 04-16-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default PS on those Edlebrock intakes!

I never understood the "waffle maker" designed plenum! If you cut the darn thing in half sideways, then you would probably be able to make nice ones for Breakfast!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

PML offers a wide variety of valve covers that can accommodate a PCV system for blocks that do not come with the normal provisions. They utilize an internal baffle that accesses a self contained breather (or can be plumbed to your air cleaner) on one cover and a PCV valve on the other cover. Here's a modified set with the Corvette script.

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11026.php
They come in a variety of finishes including polished, natural or powder coated. These are slightly taller than the original Corvette finned covers (to easily accommodate roller rockers) and the casting is significantly more substantial than the originals. The covers are not inexpensive, but they are high quality and make it very easy to accommodate later blocks in early Corvettes... or any other vehicle you may have one in.

We had a customer with a '75 Corvette that insisted on using finned "Corvette" covers, a drop based air cleaner from a '67 and his Edelbrock intake (with no fill tube), and a Holley carb. The PML's made it possible and he can even pull his PCV valve and add oil using a funnel and an elbow.

Oh and they even have script Corvette covers for Big Blocks...

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_9096.php

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The Edelbrock does have the provision to drill for an oil fill tube........ or I could use this. I've had it sitting on a shelf for years.

Would I be able to put a set of carbs on it for a reasonable price? Seriously, that is probably not an option.
Likely drilling out the oil filler boss and adding the rear PCV is the best option. Leaving the OEM intake is another option but I already have the Performer intake (which is probably 20 pounds lighter) and a 600cfm Holley.

Allan

Last edited by Al T; 04-17-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I was going to drill thru the back of your iron block!

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You'll notice on your Edelbrock there is a blank where the oil fill tube can go. You just have to drill it out to use it since there's one on your block....could be your easiest solution to get air into the motor anyway. Then drill a hole in the intake straight through to the lifter galley behind the carb (NOT through a runner!), make a baffle for the inside of it, and run a PCV to the carb base of the intake.

Yes this would be far easier, but going thru the back of the block would be less visible, than thru the manifold. But drilling aluminum is far easier!

PS sometimes doing something the harder way, gives you more to talk about at the weekend car show!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

This issue just raised another question. I've got a '64 GTO that I've currently got torn apart to do a frame replacement. It's got a 66 421 Tri-power engine in it (currently on a stand). I resealed it while it was out and the other day I was looking at it and realized there is no ventialtion set up as there is with a small block. Oil filler on the driver's side valve cover.... that's it, no road draft tube etc. How does this engine ventilate without a PCV sytem or road draft tube??

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:53 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Al T
This issue just raised another question. I've got a '64 GTO that I've currently got torn apart to do a frame replacement. It's got a 66 421 Tri-power engine in it (currently on a stand). I resealed it while it was out and the other day I was looking at it and realized there is no ventialtion set up as there is with a small block. Oil filler on the driver's side valve cover.... that's it, no road draft tube etc. How does this engine ventilate without a PCV sytem or road draft tube??

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Thanks.
Got a Pontiac Shop Manual or a Pontiac Assembly Manual?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Pontiacs have a valley pan under the intake and the pcv goes into a rubber grommet in the front of the pan.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wilcar
Pontiacs have a valley pan under the intake and the pcv goes into a rubber grommet in the front of the pan.
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 327 PCV question. Kinda OT