C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Blower Switch Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Default 64 Blower Switch Help Needed

My new to me 1964 AC Coupe's blower does not work and I think I know why? No power to the motor as it work fine wired hot. So now at the back of the dash and the fan switch has 5 connectors and both the 64 factory wiring diagrams I have in the supplement book only show 4 connectors.

3 connectors at the top are for the 3 fan speeds and then there are 2 at the bottom. I have a brown ACC hot that was not hooked up that goes to one of them I am guessing and 2 wires into one connector that was plugged in on the driver side switch connector.

So please tell me if I am on the right track and which connector driver side or passenger side gets the power? Or does it matter??

Thanks!
Steve
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

The blower on an a/c car is wired slightly different than the blower on a non a/c car. For example, assuming the rear blower is on (cable has been pulled out), when you turn the a/c on, the blower automatically turns off. Its possible that the wiring in the a/c system may not be correct, i.e., the rear blower "thinks" the a/c is on. Most of this a/c wiring and switchers is behind the glove box.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

I am on both sides and there is no power to the AC on switch either and I think it's because the fan switch has no power. The dangling brown wire....where does it go?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
I am on both sides and there is no power to the AC on switch either and I think it's because the fan switch has no power. The dangling brown wire....where does it go?
I'm not sure where the brown wire goes. i have a 64 with a/c but I don't have the dash apart so I don't have access to the harness. Does your heater fan work? The main connection points for the a/c harness are near the expansion tank. Make sure they are connected to the a/c relay. There is also an inline fuse in that area. Make sure the fuse is installed and good.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Okay got it. Took the switch out and found the one bottom terminal for power. The power wire and the AC wire join together before connecting to the fan switch. One unused terminal remains on the switch.

Now my blower motor needs to be oiled........probably hasn't run in decades?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

When I was cleaning the wiring for the fans and AC relay on my 66, I had mistaken reconnected the wires incorrectly for the relay. The fan turn on but the air flow on highest fan speed (last fan switch setting) remained the same. At first I thought it was the relay but it was just the wiring was not correct causing the relay to not turn on the second fan motor. So make sure the flow of air changes from the AC vents for the highest fan speed setting.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Second fan motor? The wiring diagrams don't show one of those. I do not have the full AC system on the car yet, one step at a time.....

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Blower Switch Help Needed

Quick Reply: 64 Blower Switch Help Needed