C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mike Terry Motorama Car - April 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Default Mike Terry Motorama Car - April 2014

Here is link to Mike Terry's write-up on the build of his
1954 Corvette Corvair Motorama Clone Project ===>>
Click Here

** Added April 15, 2014 **

It will be updated from time-to-time as he progresses with the project so keep checking back

George
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Magic

Click Here

** Added April 15, 2014 **

It will be updated from time-to-time as he progresses with the project so keep checking back

George
Thanks, been wondering about the project progress.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

gscott we had to take a little time off on working on the car because Brett had to get a couple other cars he is working on ready to go to paint. We basically need to make and install the trunk support on the backside of the trunk lid and sand it down to where the gaps around the trunk opening are all the same. We also need to fit in and mount the power windows in the inner door shin and make sure it all works and is gaped right then attach the outer door skins to the inner door shins and set to fit for the gaps and make sure the windshield pattern is correct, then shoot another coat of primer on the car and detail sand it then send it off to paint. It is getting close to going to paint. I am getting excited. Oh thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone was following along with the build very few reply when Black Magic post the info and pic.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 04-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
gscott we had to take a little time off on working on the car because Brett had to get a couple other cars he is working on ready to go to paint. We basically need to make and install the trunk support on the backside of the trunk lid and sand it down to where the gaps around the trunk opening are all the same. We also need to fit in and mount the power windows in the inner door shin and make sure it all works and is gaped right then attach the outer door skins to the inner door shins and set to fit for the gaps and make sure the windshield pattern is correct, then shoot another coat of primer on the car and detail sand it then send it off to paint. It is getting close to going to paint. I am getting excited. Oh thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone was following along with the build very few reply when Black Magic post the info and pic.
Wow !
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That's a solid afternoon of work right there.

Looking forward to seeing paint.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Still loving it!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

It's been a lot of one day a week work but we're actually getting close to having it in color. There have been quite a few custom parts made that you just won't see in the final product. Some you will see.

Mike's been a trooper throughout the almost two years of this project. I'm the first to admit that 'm not the easiest person to work with. I have a tendency to be very picky and controlling while building a vision. It wasn't like we had all of the pieces and just needed to do a conversion from stock to Fastback.

I will say that there hasn't been one single shortcut or compromise taken. We made the vision work even if it took longer to do and twice as much work. Mike will have a very durable and classic Fastback.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone was following along with the build very few reply when Black Magic post the info and pic.
I think a lot of us are enthusiastically watching, but just don't reply to each update. I think it's looking great and can't wait to see it in paint.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

I know groovyjay is interested and following the build because he chimes in from time to time. I think he may even want one after mine is finished and he gets to see the finished product . I was just wondering how others felt about this car, only because not many posted there in put about it. It has been an eye opening experience that is for sure. The trick to working with Brett is bring him a large cup of 1/2 cut tea from Mc Donalds and let him have his own way because he knows what the hell he is doing. he may think about it for a long time but that is better then just jumping in and doing something right away and then finding out a day or 2 later down the road that you should have thought about it a little more. He kind of works like measure 2 or 3 times and cut it one time so it is correct. That is why we have not had to go back and redo and redo things over and over, we just do it one time and it is done. I can see now why the cars that Brett restores turn out to be Top Flight & Bloomington Gold Cars. Thanks all for watching the build.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 04-17-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Mike and Brett, I've been following along. It is a great project and I can't wait to see it finished. I know it will be top shelf when it's done
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Mike, you should think about possibly two days a week, I heard Chevy is thinking about contacting Brett about restoring the last Vette out of the sinkhole.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching the build...you probably know why I don't often reply. ( no time )
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

I have been watching it too. It looks great so far. Are you going to add a Corvette/Nomad to the family next ?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MCMLXI
I have been watching it too. It looks great so far. Are you going to add a Corvette/Nomad to the family next ?
As for me, there will not be a NEXT, this will be the last car I build. Now as for Brett, he has a guy in Canada who he will be building this same Motorama car for. I am sure I will go out and help him on it of things that it takes 2 people to do. Also groovyjay talks like he may want a body kit for one. If so I will help Brett lay fiberglass for a body kit. You would not believe how hard and how much time it takes just to lay all the fiberglass mat and resin to lay up a body panel for a car like this. Figure 1 day with 2 guys to lay up the big body panel then let it set and cure for several days then try t pop it out of the mold. Figure 1 day per body panel. The hood has 2 body panes so there is 2 days and the trunk lid the same way, 2 panels and 2 days just to lay it up. Then you have to cut and trim if you have 2 parts that go together. Believe me if it was easy everyone would do it.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Here are the nice ladies at MFG in Ashtabula, making hood inner panels in the early 50's.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

That is cool, Thanks JohnZ. We mas our part off of to original backside of the hood and instead of just using the raised supports part of the back side panel we glued the complete back side to the backside of the hood front. Reason being is because of the great marks in it from the (press molded backside) of the hood panel, they just looked so cool and showing the press mold process was so cool we just glued the entire 2 panels together.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Click Here

** Added April 30, 2014 **

George

Get notified of new replies

To Mike Terry Motorama Car - April 2014

Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

We will be working on it again on Friday and after that I will then send the pic and info to Black Magic and you can also follow also see what is next. I am getting more and more excited every day we work on it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Too sweet, can't wait to see it in paint.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

It could go to paint by the end of the month, it will really depend on how much trouble we have fitting in all the brackets and motors for the power windows. We will also have to fit the door inner shell to the door opening and then attach the outer door skin to the inner door skin and make sure we have opening and closing clearance along with proper door gaps. We will keep all updates sent and posted on the website. We have built over 1/2 of this car from nothing. We have had to make a part, then a mold of the part, them make the correct part to put on the car. There has been gallons and gallons of resin and several rolls of fiberglass matting used in the building of the car so far, pretty cool if you set back and think about it.

Quick Reply: Mike Terry Motorama Car - April 2014