C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

change the points to electronic upgrade Good or Bad

Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
jpuskas
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Crane XR-i points replacement modules in my 65 coupe and a 67 Camaro. Very easy to install, uses stock coil, has a rev limiter. Installed many years ago. Both cars seem to idle much nicer.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Tom,
Your shop is an embarassment! It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to neat, clean and organized. I had our house built with a 6car garage, which was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more room than I needed! Now I'm getting ready to build another 6car garage next to the house (and bricked to match the house). SURELY that will be enough room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Tom, when are you coming for a visit. Bloomington Gold is a mere 11 miles from the shop and perhaps you'll get to see...

...the shop all messy like when I was fabricating shelving ...

...or all cleaned up after I was done and they were installed. You know you are most welcome.

Thomas
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this issue, 8-9 years ago I bought a pertronix unit and the car ran a lot better, after 3 years the pertronix unit failed but it was my fault the keys was left in the on position too long, so a replaced the unit with another one. Since the dizzy was original and I had the 283 rebuilt a purchased a new perttonix dizzy, car ran real strong.
Taking the car out of hibernation this year car started just fine as usual, a week later no start, no spark, put the old dizzy with the perttonix unit, still no spark, put the points back in and it fired and runs good.

I was lucky the the failure was in the garage not on the road, so with these failures I'm sticking with points, and getting the tired dizzy rebuilt
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My experience is similar to Tom's - never a failure in over 20 years of Petronix use WITH and MSD Blaster II coil in a variety of classic cars; Fords/Chevys BB/SB. The only failures I've seen in others' cars are improper installation, leaving the key on with the older Pertronix units and faulty FlameThrower coils.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1542
I am thinking about replacing my points with an electronic set up. I'm not having any problems with the current points so I am just wondering if there are any benefits,pitfall or concerns that anyone might have in making the upgrade?
How many times in your life have you decided to fix something that wasn't broken? How well does it usually turn out?

The biggest benefit to this "upgrade" is that you don't have to change your points. Chevrolet recommends (in the owner's manual) changing them every 12,000 miles. My car has done 12,000 miles in the last 30 years.

I installed a Pertronix system sometime in the last 30 years. So you'd think I'd be pretty happy about right now. Yup, I'm sitting pretty. No changing points for me. Saves me at least ½ an hour every 30 years.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Well in my old Nova, ie: ChevyII, my points rubbing block wore down more than once, slowly changing dwell as she wore down. I would think the Pertronix does not solve this issue?

Anyway went back to factory TI, than later to the MSD tach drive. I just like magnetic pickup, it totally eliminates all the nonsense. FWIW the MSD setup really made a noticeable driveability difference, but the TI distributor mighta been needing a rebuild anyway...

Furthermore if points were/are so great, they would still be using them. They are cheaper, yet manufacturers do not use 'em. Imho this proves beyond any doubt what the superior technology is.

Last edited by Tiros; 04-17-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiros
Well in my old Nova, ie: ChevyII, my points rubbing block wore down more than once, slowly changing dwell as she wore down. I would think the Pertronix does not solve this issue?

Anyway went back to factory TI, than later to the MSD tach drive. I just like magnetic pickup, it totally eliminates all the nonsense. FWIW the MSD setup really made a noticeable driveability difference, but the TI distributor mighta been needing a rebuild anyway...

Furthermore if points were/are so great, they would still be using them. They are cheaper, yet manufacturers do not use 'em. Imho this proves beyond any doubt what the superior technology is.
How come manufacturers never used anything close to a pertronix set up then?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Tiros
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Not sure what you mean. Isn't pertronix a hall effect (aka magnetic) pickup? Isn't that how manufacturers have been doing it since they got away from points? (fully computer controlled coils notwithstanding)

My GTI has a coil for each plug, the computer fires 'em at will. Even less parts, no distributor, no plug wires, rotor etc. Less parts = less to go wrong = cheaper = more reliable.

From an engineering perspective, you really can not compare the trigger signal quality or reliability of a magnetic pickup, to a mechanical switch being bumped open and closed by a cam.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Not sure what you mean. Isn't pertronix a hall effect (aka magnetic) pickup? Isn't that how manufacturers have been doing it since they got away from points? (fully computer controlled coils notwithstanding)

My GTI has a coil for each plug, the computer fires 'em at will. Even less parts, no distributor, no plug wires, rotor etc. Less parts = less to go wrong = cheaper = more reliable.

From an engineering perspective, you really can not compare the trigger signal quality or reliability of a magnetic pickup, to a mechanical switch being bumped open and closed by a cam.
You have the "old guard" on here that will never, ever, ever believe this
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

A pertronix or similar unit turns a stock system into a bit of a b*stard hybrid- it's halfway between a traditional points, condenser and coil system and a GM-style HEI system, introduced on Corvettes in 1975.

I find it amusing that people modify just one component of the ignition system leaving the other weak links still intact thinking they've achieved something substantial.

There again, the debate will never be resolved, much like the 'tastes great/less filling' sessions regarding engine oil.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't know what other 'weak links' are referred to, but if you fixed the weakest link; e.g. electromechanical contact devices - you are big money ahead - works for points, works for voltage regulators, and, windshield wiper motors...
Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Tiros
Pro

If they used something similar in 1975, then what do you mean?

I find it amusing that people defend old, deprecated, technology simply because that is what they personally own.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

If they used something similar in 1975, then what do you mean?

I find it amusing that people defend old, deprecated, technology simply because that is what they personally own.
GM introduced HEI in 1975, not a half-measure system of just substituting an electronic switch for a mechanical switch.

Pot calling kettle black on your second point?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Tiros
Pro

GM introduced HEI in 1975, not a half-measure system of just substituting an electronic switch for a mechanical switch.

Pot calling kettle black on your second point?
Not sure what you mean again?
Doesn't HEI use a mag pickup?
So is the TI setup, also a half measure? The TI setup exactly substitutes an electronic switch for a mechanical switch. I wonder why GM decided to move away from the superior point driven technology..even though it cost them more per unit....

Pot calling kettle black? I am not the one defending the old, deprecated, technology. Are you actually saying that mechanical switches have some advantage to a solid state pickup with no moving parts? What exactly is your position?

BTW do use use points?

Last edited by Tiros; 04-18-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Not sure what you mean again?
Doesn't HEI use a mag pickup?

Pot calling kettle black? I am not the one defending the old, deprecated, technology. Are you actually saying that mechanical switches have some advantage to a solid state pickup with no moving parts? What exactly is your position?

BTW do use use points?
My position is that swapping out the mechanical points in a Kettering system has about as much overall impact as installing a diamond encrusted idle stop screw on a carb. Expensive and shiny but very little actual effect. Not worth the bother.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Tiros
Pro

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_system"
Electronic ignition:
The disadvantage of the mechanical system is the use of breaker points to interrupt the low-voltage high-current through the primary winding of the coil; the points are subject to mechanical wear where they ride the cam to open and shut, as well as oxidation and burning at the contact surfaces from the constant sparking. They require regular adjustment to compensate for wear, and the opening of the contact breakers, which is responsible for spark timing, is subject to mechanical variations.

In addition, the spark voltage is also dependent on contact effectiveness, and poor sparking can lead to lower engine efficiency. A mechanical contact breaker system cannot control an average ignition current of more than about 3 A while still giving a reasonable service life, and this may limit the power of the spark and ultimate engine speed.

I would add that a mag pickup can work even it its wet. There is nothing to wear out, ever, its just a coil of wire. Clearly at high RPM points just can't hang, that's why dual point came out as "half-measure system" till a better solution (solid state) was available.

Last edited by Tiros; 04-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Electronic ignition:
The disadvantage of the mechanical system is the use of breaker points to interrupt the low-voltage high-current through the primary winding of the coil; the points are subject to mechanical wear where they ride the cam to open and shut, as well as oxidation and burning at the contact surfaces from the constant sparking. They require regular adjustment to compensate for wear, and the opening of the contact breakers, which is responsible for spark timing, is subject to mechanical variations.

In addition, the spark voltage is also dependent on contact effectiveness, and poor sparking can lead to lower engine efficiency. A mechanical contact breaker system cannot control an average ignition current of more than about 3 A while still giving a reasonable service life, and this may limit the power of the spark and ultimate engine speed.

I would add that a mag pickup can work even it its wet. There is nothing to wear out, ever, its just a coil of wire.

Has anyone heard of an optical trigger replacement kit rather than
magnetic

Get notified of new replies

To change the points to electronic upgrade Good or Bad

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
Has anyone heard of an optical trigger replacement kit rather than
magnetic
IIRC the Mallory Unilite uses optics; however the Hall cell is ridiculously reliable and accurate...
Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Electronic ignition:

I would add that a mag pickup can work even it its wet. There is nothing to wear out, ever, its just a coil of wire. Clearly at high RPM points just can't hang, that's why dual point came out as "half-measure system" till a better solution (solid state) was available.

"They require regular adjustment"

Correct. Once per year at most, once per decade for many given the average mileage these cars get.

"dependent on contact effectiveness, and poor sparking can lead to lower engine efficiency"

Yup, they need replacing every 5 years at worst when this happens. Once every few decades for Joe Average.

"this may limit the power of the spark and ultimate engine speed."

How did these cars manage to operate so well for the first 30 odd years they existed without the miracle of pertronix?

If I had to quote from a wiki in an attempt to bolster up a weak argument, I'd quit while I was behind.

To answer a previous question, I have points in all my vehicles that originally came with them. I converted some of them over to electronic units decades ago and was completely and immediately underwhelmed by the absolute lack of difference in operation, and eventually switched back after they failed.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

"They require regular adjustment"

Correct. Once per year at most, once per decade for many given the average mileage these cars get.

"dependent on contact effectiveness, and poor sparking can lead to lower engine efficiency"

Yup, they need replacing every 5 years at worst when this happens. Once every few decades for Joe Average.

"this may limit the power of the spark and ultimate engine speed."

How did these cars manage to operate so well for the first 30 odd years they existed without the miracle of pertronix?

If I had to quote from a wiki in an attempt to bolster up a weak argument, I'd quit while I was behind.

To answer a previous question, I have points in all my vehicles that originally came with them. I converted some of them over to electronic units decades ago and was completely and immediately underwhelmed by the absolute lack of difference in operation, and eventually switched back after they failed.
I agree with everything Mikey said plus I'm sure he was glad the failure happened when he was within reach of parts to get him back home.

For my part, I have NEVER had a set of points completely fail to where the engine would run except under storage conditions. All it took was a quicky swipe through the contacts to get the engine going.

I have had electronic triggers fail and when they fail, the engine stops. Re-adjusting or cleaning will NOT get the thing going again. You're dead in the water until you diagnose/replace the defective part. Not too easy alongside the road with any aftermarket gizmo.

Otherwise, spending $140-$150 on one of these electronic whiz bang gizmos seems like a waste of money for any potential return on investment whether it's real or imagined.

Last edited by MikeM; 04-18-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: change the points to electronic upgrade Good or Bad