C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vette doesn't want to move.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The car hasn't sat for a while -- the problem occurred shortly after he had pulled the car into the garage - so the typical rust-up in the rear wheel cylinder bores that cause this problem shouldn't have occurred IMO. But I guess we'll see...
If the emergency brake was applied when the car was parked, the shoes can quickly bond to the drum on the inside of the rear rotor(s).
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently had a wheel stuck and it was the parking brake. i think the shoes were twisted, and locked because the actuating lever was rusted / frozen. the caliper was hard to get off because the bolts were frozen, and even after getting the caliper off the rotor was not easy to remove because the brake shoes inside were locking up the rotor. i was able to get the actuating lever moving again, but am now following the advice i read on the forum of not using the parking brake.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 AM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will likely need to use a six point socket with a breaker bar to get the caliper off (plus penetrating oil and tapping with hammer).
Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette doesn't want to move.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions.
I'll try to answer each question as I remember them. I should have given more info in the first thread. It's a 4 speed positraction. Yes I can shift through all gears easily, with engine running and in neutral release clutch and engine turns freely. Had rear wheels off the ground (both) and slowly released clutch...driver side wheel turns but the passenger side oscillated back and forth. Hand turned the wheels and had lot of resistance and uneven. Brake pad on rt side was right on the disc but with a c-clamp I could compress easily. Now looked at emergency brake and saw a small spring which I removed thinking it somehow got caught. Tried again no improvement. Suspicious yes but it been frozen for years why now. I think it was the spring that holds the adjusting wheel/gear. It was mangled. Still hope there is nothing wrong in the differential! There was no backing plate on the passenger side brake. How to approach this problem...do I have to remove the brake calipers to get in there to fix? Well the parking brake was one of my project for later but maybe it surged to the top of the list. What do you guys think I don't want to jump to conclusions. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chuckaroo

Now looked at emergency brake and saw a small spring which I removed thinking it somehow got caught. Tried again no improvement. Suspicious yes but it been frozen for years why now. I think it was the spring that holds the adjusting wheel/gear. It was mangled.
That is exactly what happened to my '65 right after I bought it in '72.

I could drive the car forward okay but when I tried to back up, the brake shoe would jam against the drum and lock it up.

I pulled the rotor off, removed the park brake stuff and put the rotor back on.

If you do that, index the rotor back on the axle at the same clock position it came off.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
If the emergency brake was applied when the car was parked, the shoes can quickly bond to the drum on the inside of the rear rotor(s).
If the emergency brake does work enough to apply it that is indeed true. My Mazda pickup would do that after a week or two in extremely humid weather sitting in the driveway
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

This would be my approach.....

Jack up the car.
Remove all the rear brake hardware.
Buy all new emergency brake parts and anything else that is worn out.
Buy anything that was initially missing.
Put all back together.
Drive away knowing all is well and safe (and the e-brake actually works).

Anything else would be a Bubba workaround......
Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

... Had rear wheels off the ground (both) and slowly released clutch... driver side wheel turns but the passenger side oscillated back and forth. Hand turned the wheels and had lot of resistance and uneven.
If you raised the rear of the car off the ground with the rear suspension dangling, it is never a good idea to put the car in gear and turn the wheels/tires with the engine. With the rear suspension dangling the U-joints in the half-shafts can be damaged from binding caused by the extreme angle.

Good luck solving the problem... GUSTO
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Subfixer
This would be my approach.....

Jack up the car.
Remove all the rear brake hardware.
Buy all new emergency brake parts and anything else that is worn out.
Buy anything that was initially missing.
Put all back together.
Drive away knowing all is well and safe (and the e-brake actually works).

Anything else would be a Bubba workaround......
Thanks...that's what intend to do (all new stuff) but wasn't planning on doing it right now.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Thanks...that's what intend to do (all new stuff) but wasn't planning on doing it right now.
Well, what was the problem? The Ebrake shoes dragging?

Some vendors went to all SS parts just for this problem.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stuck ?

Pulled my 66 Vette into the garage the other day and when I went to back out later I could feel a strain on the car and as I continued the resistance increased to the point that the car torqued upward. I tried to go forward and the same thing happened. Could it be a brake shoe binding, parking brake acting up, something amiss in the differential? I should mention that the parking braking brake has not worked long before I got the car. Had to put the car on dollies to get it back in the garage. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Try to loosen the brake line fitting at the master cylinder, release any pressure, and see if car will move. Sometimes corrosion can cause debris to become lodged and lock brakes in full-on position. Good luck...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Well, what was the problem? The Ebrake shoes dragging?

Some vendors went to all SS parts just for this problem.
Mike
I don't know for sure since I haven't torn anything apart. I was preparing to fix the e-brake anyway and anything that needs replaced. I'll post a note when I know. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63

I used to wash underneath the car and the engine, etc a lot back in the day when I used a power car wash. Sometime if I didn't drive the car for awhile, it would act exactly as Frankie describes. Guess water could get in there and 'bond' it.
I also power washed my 1st 63 under neigh real good .The clutch
was out But the car felt like it was stuck between gears or in gear
presser plate was stuck like in gear .Weird
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
If you raised the rear of the car off the ground with the rear suspension dangling, it is never a good idea to put the car in gear and turn the wheels/tires with the engine. With the rear suspension dangling the U-joints in the half-shafts can be damaged from binding caused by the extreme angle.

Good luck solving the problem... GUSTO
Haven't had my first C2 long at all and never knew that.....that one goes in the memory banks...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Haven't had my first C2 long at all and never knew that.....that one goes in the memory banks...
That can happen but if you have the correct length shocks, don't believe it will.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM
leaky4150
Instructor

project creep 66 coupe rt e brake toast lead to trailing arm removal Bearings/bushing etc.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

That can happen but if you have the correct length shocks, don't believe it will.
I have shocks from one of the major supporters of the forum. They WILL allow the swing arms to drop enough to cause the universal joints to lock. I called them and they said they knew that problem exists but that's all they have available. In 12,000 miles, it hasn't been a problem so as mentioned, just don't let the swing arm droop and try to turn the wheels, particularly with the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette doesn't want to move.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

will the car move with the clutch in?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

According to Bair's Corvettes and also GM docs, the maximum extended length of the rear shocks for our C2 cars should be 14.25 inches or less. This distance is measured between the centerline of the upper and the lower shock mounting bushings. Additional length can result in a bind between the halfshaft and inner axle in the reared which can result in damage.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 04-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

xxx

Quick Reply: Vette doesn't want to move.