C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP!!! New scattershield problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default HELP!!! New scattershield problem.....

I have run a Lakewood scattershield for , about 43 years. I have recently fitted a new scattershield. That is the ONLY change that I made. HOWEVER, I now have a badly slipping clutch! Any comments, ideas or disparaging remarks are welcome

Last edited by 63Corvette; 04-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I have run a Lakewood scattershield for , about 43 years. I have recently fitted a new scattershield. That is the ONLY change that I made. HOWEVER, I now have a badly slipping clutch! Any comments, ideas or disparaging remartks are welcome
Questions:
Did you use the "block saver plate"????

Did you set-up the pivot stud correctly????

Did you remove the clutch pressure plate, flywheel when servicing the bellhousing...and "possible" block saver plate???

DID you inspect the clutch when servicing the bellhousing???? If removed.

Is the throw-out bearing releasing??

Do you have any problems in getting it into gear???

Was any types of lubricant sprayed at any time during this process??? Where it could have gotten on the flywheel surface ...IF it was exposed.

It makes no sense that just replacing a bellhousing would cause the clutch to slip. I could deal with not engaging into gear or other issues...but not slipping. Because if the throw-out bearing is releasing and the clutch fork has free-play in it ...the pressure plate should be holding the clutch disc as designed.

Because you are using ANOTHER aftermarket bellhousing...I hope you checked your bore concentricity of the bellhousing. This is often times overlooked or not done by people who feel that "it is good enough"...but when a dial indicator is installed and it is checked...I have seen many times when the center bore is out .020"+...which is WAY OUT...and clutch/transmission issues can occur.

DUB
Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Questions:
Did you use the "block saver plate"???? No

Did you set-up the pivot stud correctly???? Yes? same as before?

Did you remove the clutch pressure plate, flywheel when servicing the bellhousing...and "possible" block saver plate??? NO!

DID you inspect the clutch when servicing the bellhousing???? If removed. No....N/A

Is the throw-out bearing releasing?? Yes

Do you have any problems in getting it into gear??? NO

Was any types of lubricant sprayed at any time during this process??? Where it could have gotten on the flywheel surface ...IF it was exposed.
No

It makes no sense that just replacing a bellhousing would cause the clutch to slip. I could deal with not engaging into gear or other issues...but not slipping. Because if the throw-out bearing is releasing and the clutch fork has free-play in it ...the pressure plate should be holding the clutch disc as designed. I agree!!!

Because you are using ANOTHER aftermarket bellhousing...I hope you checked your bore concentricity of the bellhousing. YES This is often times overlooked or not done by people who feel that "it is good enough"...but when a dial indicator is installed and it is checked...I have seen many times when the center bore is out .020"+...which is WAY OUT...and clutch/transmission issues can occur.

DUB
Thanks Dub.......I don't understand either!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks Dub.......I don't understand either!
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING to my questions in an intelligent manner....so many people do not. Thanks

It makes NO SENSE...that if it worked before....why it would not work now.

MAN OH MAN... I know if it were a problem that I encountered at work...I would be freaking out.

How long has the clutch been in there?

I am sure that when the transmission was being installed...it WAS NOT allowed to hang on the clutch disc at all while the transmission was sliding into the pilot bushing...right??

Just does not make sense.

DUB
Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Would the 'clutch fork' make any difference if used on stock vs scatter shield?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Interesting problem, Garrett.

Is it safe to assume you've got some free play in the clutch pedal when it is at the top of its travel?

If so, then what are the odds that this is just "one of those things".... i.e. the clutch would have begun slipping anyway and it just happened to coincide with the install of the new scattershield. Does the clutch have a lot of track time on it?

Jim
Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 66jack
Would the 'clutch fork' make any difference if used on stock vs scatter shield?
Probably not. I use a stock Corvette clutch fork with the scattershield on my racer and the geometry is fine.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have no idea if it would cause a slipping problem- it didn't with mine, but when I put the Lakewood housing behind my drag motor (287 Reher-Morrison modified production motor), I didn't run the block plate. Heii, I don't need no block plate, I've got billet everything in it. Uuh no. They hydoformed the scattershield overlength by the thickness of the block plate. I wiped the rear main thrust and by sheer chance, caught it before the flywheel bolts caught on the back of the block. One crank and set of bearings later, all was good. Then I put the block plate in. Just sayin.........
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Was there a block plate on previously?

Too bad both units weren't layed on the ground together and a straight edge level on a flat garage wasn't done. But who would have thought.

Yes that is my question also, what do you have on the pedal in the way of play now? did you change the clutch fork? Stock to HD style or anything etc.? Is the throw out bearing positioned correctly? Did the clutch bolts get torqued down? and on and on?

You are one of the more competent people on here, so I am a little baffled also because of this knowing your tech knowledge and such!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Too bad both units weren't layed on the ground together and a straight edge level on a flat garage wasn't done. But who would have thought.

Yes that is my question also, what do you have on the pedal in the way of play now? did you change the clutch fork? Stock to HD style or anything etc.? Is the throw out bearing positioned correctly? Did the clutch bolts get torqued down? and on and on?

You are one of the more competent people on here, so I am a little baffled also because of this knowing your tech knowledge and such!
I know...but he did not touch the clutch at all. Trad his responses to my questions in POST #3.

It is baffling...or just coincidence...or both...or neither.

DUB
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Interesting problem, Garrett.

Is it safe to assume you've got some free play in the clutch pedal when it is at the top of its travel?

If so, then what are the odds that this is just "one of those things".... i.e. the clutch would have begun slipping anyway and it just happened to coincide with the install of the new scattershield. Does the clutch have a lot of track time on it?

Jim
Yes, I have about 3/4" free play at the top, so my diaphram fingers can't go over center. Also some play at the bottom, so the clutch engages about an inch off the floor.
The clutch was not touched. The clutch was new in February when it worked fine at TWS. That is the only use until this weekend, when it slipped BADLY in all gears.

Y'all have given me some good insight though. I will measure BOTH scattershelds side by side to see if there is any difference. I have not ever run a block plate......hopefully will never need one. My limiter is set for 6500.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I find.

Garrett
Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

coincidence...now you can put a triple disc in it!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd think a pertinent question would be, "did the clutch start slipping immediately on the first drive out of the garage after the scattershield change or did it take a little time?

You may have thrown some lining off the disc if it took awhile for the clutch to slip.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeM
I'd think a pertinent question would be, "did the clutch start slipping immediately on the first drive out of the garage after the scattershield change or did it take a little time?

You may have thrown some lining off the disc if it took awhile for the clutch to slip.
I wasn't the one who did the initial startup and drive, so I don't know, BUT, when I drove it for the first time on Friday,it slipped.

Howard, That's a good idea for you young guys, but we installed the Quartermaster triple from my L88, and my aged knees just couldn't take it. Sorry, I'm a wuss, but I'm back to a "street" clutch for now
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I wasn't the one who did the initial startup and drive, so I don't know, BUT, when I drove it for the first time on Friday,it slipped.
Hmmm, I wonder if the test drive goon fried your clutch doing a burnout, or something.

Doug
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Hmmm, I wonder if the test drive goon fried your clutch doing a burnout, or something.

Doug
Nope! Trusted friend drove it.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:37 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'd certainly pull the clutch and look at it anyway.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! New scattershield problem.....

Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
coincidence...now you can put a triple disc in it!!
Seems a likely answer - or the trusted installer got a little carried away on his test drive.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Nope! Trusted friend drove it.
If you had already fried the clutch with yer rippin' and rearin' around, it wouldn't take much to shell the facing off the clutch disc.

Doesn't sound like you have much alternative other than pull the clutch and look at it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Clutch is OUT of the car. It shows some (obvious) signs of heat, BUT.....no "failure" signs, ie no missing or shucked off disc facing etc. Clutch will go back to the manufacturer tomorrrow. To be continued.....

Mike at my age, my "rippin & roaring" is quite meek and mellow;-)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 04-13-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! New scattershield problem.....