C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Corvette Star wheel Brake Adjusters L & R

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Kentie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Corvette Star wheel Brake Adjusters L & R

I have a 63 corvette split window which I am rebuilding the drum brakes. On the star wheel spreader I found a R and an L.
One reference states for the Right Side and Left Side. A second reference by GM states, the L goes on the passenger side and the R goes on the driver side, just opposite. Also It states the the downward rotation should expand the lenght of the spreader. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The star portion of the adjuster goes to the rear. the adjuster mechanism will ride on the outside of it, so as it pushes down, it should open up, or get longer. It will be pretty self evident as to which side goes where.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
The star portion of the adjuster goes to the rear. the adjuster mechanism will ride on the outside of it, so as it pushes down, it should open up, or get longer. It will be pretty self evident as to which side goes where.
Yep, that's correct. By the way SWCs use the same star wheel as the convertibles.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Do ONE side of the car at a time so you have a reference to look at for assembly as you go along. There are also different length 'keeper' springs that hold the shoes on (usually color coded). The short spring (yellow in my picture) goes on the shoe that holds the self-adjuster plate to allow for the extra thickness - I assume you know how the leading/trailing shoes go .. right ?

You really, REALLY want to get your brakes 100% correct on these all drum cars. This is my completed '63 left rear (driver's side).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-11-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Kentie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the confirmation I had hoped for. Thanks for the great information and pictures.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Ya know, back in the old days when I worked as a brake and alignment mechanic for Goodyear, it made for a much prettier job if I blew off the backing plates before installing the new stuff. Wonder how many pounds of asbestos I ingested. No mask, tough guy.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Corvette Star wheel Brake Adjusters L & R

Quick Reply: 63 Corvette Star wheel Brake Adjusters L & R