C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ethanol Hates Carburetors

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think the current EPA limit is 15%. Just not mandated. But I think any pump that contains 15% has to have a warning label on the pump about what can use it, what can't.

Here is something worth reading.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment...anol.-Now-what

Here's another that talks of pump labeling:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/e15.asp
I read all that and, frankly, my eyes glazed over.

Neither article directly addressed how accurately a pump which is supposed to dispense E10 actually does so. That said, I'm reasonably confident that for an E10 pump, 10% ethanol is the upper limit of what the blend can contain by law (or EPA edict or whatever).
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio
Good luck, this is Mormon country. My neighbor had 10 kids, no exaggeration.
The cheapest, easiest, fastest, most efficient way to cut the ills of the worlds environment is birth control.

Governments ain't up to the task!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I'd like to research that some more. Can you cite a reference?
Jim, you can check out several references on this issue. See Emerson or EMA (engine manufactures assoc), etc. A little knowledge and good fuel management will go a long way towards maintaining your classic. Best regards.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
Jim, you can check out several references on this issue. See Emerson or EMA (engine manufactures assoc), etc. A little knowledge and good fuel management will go a long way towards maintaining your classic. Best regards.
I have done some looking. My take-aways:

1. E10, by law, may contain no more than 10% ethanol by weight.

2. Ethanol is not actually mandatory for California fuel. Only an oxygenate is required. Ethanol is used in CA to satisfy the oxygenate requirement.

3. The allowable Reid Vapor Pressure for CA fuels has declined from 9 PSI prior to 1992 to ~7 PSI for fuel available after 2007. Not sure what to make of this since I associate higher RVP with a greater tendency for there to be fuel perc.

4. There are approximately a gazzillion different fuel blends available in the US, depending on region. No wonder some people report issues and others give those folks the Internet equivalent of a blank stare:

US Gasoline Map

Anyway, back to point #1, 10% is the maximum amount of ethanol allowed by law in fuel sold as E10, just as I thought. If you have tangible evidence that the actual percentage sold is greater, feel free to post it.

Jim

BTW, my sources for the above information include the web pages of CARB, EPA, and ExxonMobile

Last edited by jim lockwood; 04-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I had a 55 Chevy about 7 years back with a 350 engine with 3 deuces. I had it for 5 years and it always ran like a top. The first year that they introduced the 10% ethanol and from my very first fill up it never ran the same. After one off season with that stuff sitting in the carbs they were junk. I pulled the carbs apart to rebuild them and the insides were so corroded that I decided to change it over to a new 4 barrel. Coincidence, I don't think so? I sold it a year later and bought a 67 Coupe project which has FI.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

That said, I'm reasonably confident that for an E10 pump, 10% ethanol is the upper limit of what the blend can contain by law (or EPA edict or whatever).
The CSM link was simply to point out that there is/was a glut of alcohol on the market that the refiners had to pay for but couldn't use. Legally.

Legally being the operative word here.

I'd bet there is a healthy financial penalty for retail outlets if they're caught selling more that 10% in their tanks. They might even be leaving themselves open to a civil lawsuit.

If anyone is unsure what alky content they are getting, there are cheap little test kits that can tell you real quick what is going in their tank.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Just went to a place that sells racing fuel ,I bought 2 gallons it was $8.50 gallon
I just wanted to see if it makes a difference .I have about 1/2 tank now was going to run some out first. I asked this guy what octane it was he said it was Sunoco 260 108 octane.
Heck I used to run that all the time is this plan gas or racing fuel. Thought racing fuel was different.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Just went to a place that sells racing fuel ,I bought 2 gallons it was $8.50 gallon
I just wanted to see if it makes a difference .
It does, but only if you change your tuneup to take advantage of the increased resistance to detonation it can provide (add more spark advance).
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It does, but only if you change your tuneup to take advantage of the increased resistance to detonation it can provide (add more spark advance).
Got ya

Quick Reply: Ethanol Hates Carburetors