C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ethanol Hates Carburetors

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
And.... The two are more similar than different. They key element to both iso and Ethanol, are that they both have an affinity for water. This moisture is the reason for corrosion in some systems.

Regards, John McGraw.
10-4!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
And.... The two are more similar than different. They key element to both iso and Ethanol, are that they both have an affinity for water. This moisture is the reason for corrosion in some systems.
I dunno, I can drink a lot more ethanol than isopropyl. But I've also never tried to mix my gas tank with 10% isopropyl.

Edit: I'm not disputing moisture's impact.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Well out here in California!

The Gas Stations are just now this week getting the wonderful super California Summer blend with the added Alcohol! Instantly the prices jumped 25-75 cents! Anyone want some to try?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I just don't like the smell from the exhaust. If I don't push them out into the driveway before firing them up and push them back in after a drive - it takes 2 days before the stench fades away in the garage. Yeah, some of it is from the hot rod cams but even my bone-stock GTX exhaust reeks. If they would fix that somehow I would be a lot happier with today's fuel.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
The Gas Stations are just now this week getting the wonderful super California Summer blend with the added Alcohol! Instantly the prices jumped 25-75 cents! Anyone want some to try?
I'm pretty sure the summer fuel doesn't come with any more ethanol than the winter blend. The upper limit on the amount of ethanol is set by EPA rule. Summer fuel has a different blend of other components which result in a lower Reid vapor pressure..... which is a Real Good Thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I'm pretty sure the summer fuel doesn't come with any more ethanol than the winter blend. The upper limit on the amount of ethanol is set by EPA rule. Summer fuel has a different blend of other components which result in a lower Reid vapor pressure..... which is a Real Good Thing.
Unfortunately, this blending is not consistent. Because Ethanol is somewhat less expensive than gasoline, a little more may be used than should be. Due to its corrosive nature, it is not blended anywhere other than at a distributer, and the blending may vary considerably. In other words, the E-10 may be off by several percentage points. Who do you think will profit by this "mistake" ?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
Unfortunately, this blending is not consistent. Because Ethanol is somewhat less expensive than gasoline, a little more may be used than should be. Due to its corrosive nature, it is not blended anywhere other than at a distributer, and the blending may vary considerably. In other words, the E-10 may be off by several percentage points. Who do you think will profit by this "mistake" ?
Are you saying that E10 will or could have more than 10% ethanol content?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ok I just read!

There are 20 different fuels being mixed throughout the US for the Summer blend because of the overlap in Regulations. And the summer focuses on a mix to prevent evaporation as stated and to be more green, they change things to prevent added polution during the hot summer. California and two other states get the crap!

Personally, I have a V-8 Corvette and I am proud to add my fair share of pollution (me and my Road draft tube and venting to the atmosphere, but I do some recycling and I have extra plants around the place so I feel like I am doing my part to be green.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-14-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I do my part for the environment by owning lots of gas guzzlers, ensuring no more than one can be used at any time. Thus I keep up to 7 polluters off the road on any given day
Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I like your thinking!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I do my part for the environment by owning lots of gas guzzlers, ensuring no more than one can be used at any time. Thus I keep up to 7 polluters off the road on any given day
You should get (earn) some pollution credits, because of your truly noble and appreciated effort! Yes great way to put thing into perspective!

Heck, everyone in Los Angeles knows that the pollution blows to the east if it can get out of the basin, except when the Santa Ana's are blowing! It messes up the system! If you live in the beach areas, you have less to worry about! (What pollution?-- just don't look eastward and you will never know it is there!).

Ps we are probably now offending guys about to sell their C1/C2 cars for Prius Ownership! And anyone that speaks up and claims to have one of each, you mine as well live with one foot in the grave!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-15-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
You had to use "thus"? There will be no living with him after this.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 AM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you saying that E10 will or could have more than 10% ethanol content?
Yes, absolutely.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by FFBillysCor
Yes, absolutely.
I'd like to research that some more. Can you cite a reference?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM
leaky4150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1984 F 250 had since 1987 sits outside from November to March (NY) no problem on start up or running problems after sitting all winter not so lucky w/ case lawn tractor or sears chain saw
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I'd like to research that some more. Can you cite a reference?
I think the current EPA limit is 15%. Just not mandated. But I think any pump that contains 15% has to have a warning label on the pump about what can use it, what can't.

Here is something worth reading.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment...anol.-Now-what

Here's another that talks of pump labeling:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/e15.asp

Last edited by MikeM; 04-15-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think the current EPA limit is 15%. Just not mandated. But I think any pump that contains 15% has to have a warning label on the pump about what can use it, what can't.

Here is something worth reading.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment...anol.-Now-what

Here's another that talks of pump labeling:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/e15.asp

Are we just splitting hairs here.....

I agree we all need to contribute to our environment from the air we breathe to our oceans that is essential to our ego system. But are we really making a difference? Isn’t it really about feeling good about ourselves rather than making a difference?

Look at the big picture, other countries are polluting our air and oceans ten times faster than we are, and its set up that only a few in the USA only need to comply, for instance majority of automobiles are required to have updated efficient emissions, what about that 18 wheeler that pulls up next to you at a traffic light. Take notice to the bellowing smoke or look just beyond over at our locomotives sitting in the yards chugging 8 gallons of fuel an hour at idle. You can find the same air polluting smoke stacks from factories producing choking hydrocarbons at night only to subside hours before sun rise.

Contributing your 100.00 to Green Peace every year, and driving a Prius is make an impact on our environment about the same ratio as if you provided a bucket to every sole aboard the Titanic and ask them to start bailing……. The results are both the same, but it helps right!

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013...w=1024&bih=706

Just my two cents
rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 04-15-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: eco to ego...
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Supposedly, E10 reduces vehicular greenhouse gas emissions by 20-50% (that's a wide range, in my opinion). If true, then yeah that makes a difference. Every winter, pollution gets trapped here in the Salt Lake valley, pinned by the mountains to the east that prevent it from blowing away, and kept down low by thermal layers in the atmosphere that prevent it from rising up out of the valley. It gets bad enough that people in their 20s develop respiratory problems and visibility is impacted within days. It takes a major windstorm to overcome the temperature inversion and blow the crap over the top of the mountains, or a snow/rain shower to wash it down...which turns the snow a lovely ****-yellow along the benches of the mountains.

So yeah, cutting that crap by 1/3 or 1/2 would be nice.

Too bad we can't use anything but corn to do it, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol Hates Carburetors

Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Are we just splitting hairs here.....

I agree we all need to contribute to our environment from the air we breathe to our oceans that is essential to our ego system. But are we really making a difference? Isn’t it really about feeling good about ourselves rather than making a difference?

Look at the big picture, other countries are polluting our air and oceans ten times faster than we are, and its set up that only a few in the USA only need to comply, for instance majority of automobiles are required to have updated efficient emissions, what about that 18 wheeler that pulls up next to you at a traffic light. Take notice to the bellowing smoke or look just beyond over at our locomotives sitting in the yards chugging 8 gallons of fuel an hour at idle. You can find the same air polluting smoke stacks from factories producing choking hydrocarbons at night only to subside hours before sun rise.

Contributing your 100.00 to Green Peace every year, and driving a Prius is make an impact on our environment about the same ratio as if you provided a bucket to every sole aboard the Titanic and ask them to start bailing……. The results are both the same, but it helps right!

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013...w=1024&bih=706

Just my two cents
rustylugnuts

You are out of order! Have a seat. And I'm not part of the green movement!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Godholio

Too bad we can't use anything but corn to do it, though.
We can. It's called birth control.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Good luck, this is Mormon country. My neighbor had 10 kids, no exaggeration.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Hates Carburetors