C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Coupe rear carpet install sequence??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 AM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 66 Coupe rear carpet install sequence??

I am having a difficult time installing new carpet in my 66 coupe behind the seats.. Is there a specific sequence that the carpet must be installed. To me it looks like the metal cross piece behind the seats is installed first, followed by the carpet over the wheel wells, and then the center rear floor piece.

Another problem the center rear piece of carpet does not evenly cover the upper wall on the back. Carpet does not appear to be cut correctly to fill rounded space below rear window, or is this a normal problem.

Is there an adhesive that gives you some time to adust the carpet while installing?

Could not find any threads or FAQ's on carpet installation.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What brand carpet did you buy
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Coupe Rear Carpet

Your sequence is the one I use, can't see how it could be different.

I used ACC's carpets in my coupe, and the rear piece fit fine under the window itself, but had 1/2" gaps above the end flaps. Close enough for Gov't. Motors work.

Of course the tricky part is getting the side pieces to lay snug. I happen to have a Jiffy Steamer and it really helps soften up the backing so you can massage it into place.

What glue? Lot's of things will work, but 3M Super 90 (green can) holds pretty well, lets you position things a bit, and has an adjustable spray nozzle. You don't get covered with glue mist like with 3M 77.
The following users liked this post:
1st one (06-09-2022)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm also in the process of getting my 66 coupe rear carpet changed. I purchased my set from ebay (Newark auto) and slowly getting the job done. So far I had removed the all of the juke/glue in the front and about 70% rear. I planning to use a brushable contact cement from Home Depot after the sound dentner is installed.

I hoping to start the sound/heat padding installed by end of the month due to wife and two kids keeping me busy during the weekends.

I also have the same problem with the left and right wheel wells at first. When put the old carpet on top of the new carpet, the rear upper corners on both side were missing some parts from the original. I found two extra pieces in my kit that need to be attached above the wheels wells and the main part of the rear side tucks under.

For the rear piece, they made the carpet based on 3 pieces - back wall, floor and bump and not as one like the factory.

When I called the vendor about the rear wheel wells, the person told me that they sold many kits for the vette coupes before without any issues regarding the wheel wells. They did offer to make me a new pieces if I sent him the original wheel wells carpet. I didn't take his offer for now and informed him that I would call back in a few weeks if I had an issue since.

Just a FYI the hottest interior point I could find is the passenger foot area highest point which was about 140-150 degrees and the driver's side was close. This was based on a 65-70 degrees outside and driving in the street.

http://www.newark-auto.com/

If you want to see the pictures of the carpet kit, send me a personal note with your email address.

Good Luck

Irwin
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like a GOOD vendor!

Originally Posted by irwiny
Just a FYI the hottest interior point I could find is the passenger foot area highest point which was about 140-150 degrees and the driver's side was close. This was based on a 65-70 degrees outside and driving in the street.
Wow. Maybe you need something like Dynamat just on the footwell floors, or at least some HD aluminum foil under the carpets?

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Coupe rear carpet install sequence??

Quick Reply: 66 Coupe rear carpet install sequence??