C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

no start yet 327 rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

If I remember correctly you have a high volume pump, the HV pump will cover a loose engine set up. I think you are missing a plug somewhere in the oil gallery or the engine was built with .005 clearance. Maybe the wrong oversize bearings were used. You can use plastigage to measure bearing clearance. Plug location and tips that may help.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...k_plug_basics/
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
If you have dry rockers I would think those pushrods are plugged up. Myself, I would remove a couple dry ones and blow them out onto a paper towel and take a look.
I already done this before installing the pushrods.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
If I remember correctly you have a high volume pump, the HV pump will cover a loose engine set up. I think you are missing a plug somewhere in the oil gallery or the engine was built with .005 clearance. Maybe the wrong oversize bearings were used. You can use plastigage to measure bearing clearance. Plug location and tips that may help.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...k_plug_basics/
I have a HV pump on a shelf. Installed is a STD pump (see I am paying attention since before I said low volume ).

I do plan on taking the pan off first and checking to see if I did happen to miss one of the plugs or loose pump. The oil pump pick up was measured and welded into place. I used the other pump position of the pickup as a reference since I did have the correct oil pressure prior to disassembly.

I did measure the clearances with plasticgage during the pre-assembly phase. This weekend, I am going to check the clearances on the crank once more.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Also, if you replace the hydraulic lifters with some of the *bleed down* type, you can kill off a bunch of the 'lopey' idle and still have the performance of the cam once it gets up to full lift and duration at about 3500 or so. Several companies make them.- Crane, Comp, Rhoads. Actually the L79 Nostalgia cam is not a bad idling cam, has a nice rumpity rump sound to it, but the lifters will make a difference.
Gotcha!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
I have a HV pump on a shelf. Installed is a STD pump (see I am paying attention since before I said low volume ).

I do plan on taking the pan off first and checking to see if I did happen to miss one of the plugs or loose pump. The oil pump pick up was measured and welded into place. I used the other pump position of the pickup as a reference since I did have the correct oil pressure prior to disassembly.

I did measure the clearances with plasticgage during the pre-assembly phase. This weekend, I am going to check the clearances on the crank once more.
. This thread reminds me of a similar problem a buddy of mine had with his 62 327-300 hp car. No oil to one bank of rockers, but good oil pressure. Wound up being a cigarette filter in thelifter galley. Go figure.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

The oil pump pick up was measured and welded into place.
Was the pump disassembled when it was welded? The heat supposedly can ruin the spring if not.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Was the pump disassembled when it was welded? The heat supposedly can ruin the spring if not.
Yes, I watched the shop reassembly the pump.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
. This thread reminds me of a similar problem a buddy of mine had with his 62 327-300 hp car. No oil to one bank of rockers, but good oil pressure. Wound up being a cigarette filter in thelifter galley. Go figure.
I pressure washed the engine and took gun brushes to all of the galleys. No smoking
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pressure washed the engine and took gun brushes to all of the galleys. No smoking
Bottom line is......

If you are not getting completly soaked with oil with the engine running and the valve covers off,, You have a probem

GM Engines are well oiled and should shoot oil out the lifters almost over the fender...

If you are running with dry rockers STOP !!! Bottom Galley plug is missing, pump is not pumping or has broken by-pass spring, leaking by-pass valve etc....
Oil is just returning to the pan

That would explain both of your oiling problems

Conditions above would cause

1)
LOW Oil Pressure due to by-pass of the top half of the motor... and the remainder of the bearing clearances before oil is allowed to return to pan

2) Dry Rockers on one or both banks

Im sorry but...
Continuing to try and run with this condition will Kill it

Bite the bullet,
Take it apart and check everything
You will learn a great deal, end the guessing, and get her back on the road...

I can tell you, I have many times pondered how hard it world be to tackle something and found that thinking about it was actually harder than actually doing it

This is all part of the sport.. It's supposed to be FUN

There are a great bunch of guys here that are trying to help

Tony
Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

My guess is bottom plug was punched out for cleaning and not replaced.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pittsaj
Bottom line is......

If you are not getting completly soaked with oil with the engine running and the valve covers off,, You have a probem

GM Engines are well oiled and should shoot oil out the lifters almost over the fender...

If you are running with dry rockers STOP !!! Bottom Galley plug is missing, pump is not pumping or has broken by-pass spring, leaking by-pass valve etc....
Oil is just returning to the pan

That would explain both of your oiling problems

Conditions above would cause

1)
LOW Oil Pressure due to by-pass of the top half of the motor... and the remainder of the bearing clearances before oil is allowed to return to pan

2) Dry Rockers on one or both banks

Im sorry but...
Continuing to try and run with this condition will Kill it

Bite the bullet,
Take it apart and check everything
You will learn a great deal, end the guessing, and get her back on the road...

I can tell you, I have many times pondered how hard it world be to tackle something and found that thinking about it was actually harder than actually doing it

This is all part of the sport.. It's supposed to be FUN

There are a great bunch of guys here that are trying to help

Tony

I know no oil is not a good thing. that's why I stopped... I have done enough troubleshooting to know the next step is to pull the pan off and check underneath then go from there.

I really do appreciate the help!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Do you remember if you punched out the plug shown in the figure 12 diagram in this thread, it is under the rear main and is easy to forget to re-install.

http://forums.carcraft.com/70/882039...-oil-pressure/
Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The shop who did the machine work installed all new plugs including the cam bearings. The top of the block was plugged off. I know I checked this one. But did not check for the bottom plug. I did check the holes on the cam and bearings when did the pre-assembly. I took a paper clip and ran it into the holes.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 04-16-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It has the oil plug on the bottom. I have not checked the clearances yet. I did not see any metal flakes in the pan so I guess that's good... I will check the clearances on the main and rods.

Then, I am going to install this HV pump and see what the pressure looks like if the clearances are good. If not then I will pull the engine.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It has the oil plug on the bottom. I have not checked the clearances yet. I did not see any metal flakes in the pan so I guess that's good... I will check the clearances on the main and rods.

Then, I am going to install this HV pump and see what the pressure looks like if the clearances are good. If not then I will pull the engine.
A HV pump on a stock SB chevy is not going to fix your oil pressure problem. A stock GM OEM type pump is all you need and should give you plenty of pressure.

Given everything you have posted my guess is main bearing clearances and most likely you have already wiped the crank.

I hope it's not that bad but 7 PSI on a newly rebuilt engine point to wrong parts being installed.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mr D.
A HV pump on a stock SB chevy is not going to fix your oil pressure problem. A stock GM OEM type pump is all you need and should give you plenty of pressure.

Given everything you have posted my guess is main bearing clearances and most likely you have already wiped the crank.

I hope it's not that bad but 7 PSI on a newly rebuilt engine point to wrong parts being installed.
I guess that's why I need to get some plastic gauge and check the clearances. How can I tell if I wiped the crank?

Last edited by jimh_1962; 04-17-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I guess that's why I need to get some plastic gauge and check the clearances. How can I tell if I wiped the crank?
The crankshaft journal will show wear and the main bearings will also show wear.

Get notified of new replies

To no start yet 327 rebuilt engine

Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Plastigage comes in a few sizes, you may need to buy Green SPG-1 which tests .001-.003 and Red SPR-1 which covers .002-.006. Put the plastigage North south across the journal, going from the crankshaft to the front snout. Torque the bearing cap in place with the plastigage at the crown of the cap then remove and measure the width. It is fast and accurate.
Bearings have more clearance as you approach the parting lines, where the bolts are so measure at the crown, farthest from the bolts. The Plastigage package has quick measuring guides included.
Very easy to use. The bearing should be clean and dry when you do this.

I checked and Federal-Mogul still offers a Bearing Pre Lubricator now it is Part # T-40 and only holds 4 qts, the older T-100 held 5 qts.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 04-17-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I used the green plastic gauge during the first go around. I know I can get both kinds (red and green) and will do so. The bearings were clean when I did this before. Then used Clevite bearing lube during the assembly. Also, I did measure it in the middle of the bearing with the plastic gauge going the same direction.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mr D.
The crankshaft journal will show wear and the main bearings will also show wear.
No wear on the one I took off. Very light marks on the bearing towards the edges of the bearing. The middle of the bearing still had the original finish.

Quick Reply: no start yet 327 rebuilt engine