C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best home 4post lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Many "drive on/storage" lifts come with a tray that will support a jack or (a bit pricey) you can buy something like this: http://www.garagegadgetsinc.com/prok...ack-p-273.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Lift

You can work on suspension or brakes two ways. You can purchase a jack from the mfg. that slides on channels on the inboard side of the ramps and uses compressed air to jack the car up. These jacks are a little pricey. I use a jack plate. It slides on the same channel and provides a flat surface to place a bottle or floor jack. I just changed both rear trailing arm bushings using my jack plate two bottle jacks and two jack stands. My son and I had both trailing arms out in just under two hours. Jerry
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well you guys put me over the edge - I just bought a Challenger lift (the one that is often demo'ed and used for judging at the Kissimmee NCRS meet) for a very good price including installation. This lift is sold under different brand names but they are all identical.

If things work out perfectly I won't even have to deal with the garage door/opener depending on how I park the '61 on top. Worst case I'll have to shuffle garage door opener around and add a panel. No roof mods necessary whatsoever..

The new design has slack cable locks, double safety catches and seems like a very reasonable setup for a home hobbyist and runs on 110V.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Frank. I hate you the other lift owners.

I just came in a few hours ago adjusting the clutch and doing some other stuff. I wish I had a nickel every time that my creeper rolled over the drop light chord, got stuck, couldn't move, forgot a socket, grabbed the wrong socket, forgot a wrench, hurt my back getting up again from the creeper for the 10th time. You know the drill....

Enjoy and best of luck with your lift.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

And don't forget laying down too far up (or down) on the creeper and having to squirm around like a hooked fish to get just the right position for comfortably working.

I'm 63 in a few weeks and I find that I'm more willing to spend $$$ to make life a little easier. Besides, the lift will free up another spot in the garage that the wife can clutter up. Everybody wins...

Post #19 above is what finally made me pull the trigger - my garage is 10'4" high and the other stuff in the picture looks exactly what I will have when everything installed - a very acceptable setup.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-18-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 PM
uvettcha
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default welcome the quick jack

Originally Posted by stratplus

I just came in a few hours ago adjusting the clutch and doing some other stuff. I wish I had a nickel every time that my creeper rolled over the drop light chord, got stuck, couldn't move, forgot a socket, grabbed the wrong socket, forgot a wrench, hurt my back getting up again from the creeper for the 10th time. You know the drill....

you need to try thishttp://cdn3.volusion.com/o3n9t.dyzs5/v/vspfiles/photos/RangerBL-3500-2.jpg?1397139149
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm in Miami and have a narrow garage but had no problem installing the Auto Lift Car-Park-8. My ceiling is about 10' but I'm opening it up next week and creating a recessed section so that I can run the lift up to its highest lock and get the most space underneath for ease of walking and getting in and out of the car parked below. PM me if you want contact info for the dealer/installer. My total cost installed came to $2800.
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well - I finally REALLY measured my garage ceiling and its 10'3" (surprised me). I ain't cuttin' no trusses Bill - I think I've been clear on that... I can see my $2,100 lift purchase turning into a $7,500-$10,000 "project" real fast - not worth it to me..
10' 3" is enough to get by with. I had a 9' 11'1/2 in ceiling once and parked my 66 Coupe over the top of my 67 Plymouth GTX. It's enough if you can get the OH door up high enough anyway.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus

I have a lift but primarily use it for storage, sometimes to work under. I prefer working off of a creeper most of the time. I look at getting down and up off of the creeper as an aerobic workout to stay fit.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Check this one out.

I found this product at www.bestbuyautoequipment.com and thought you might find it of interest.

Richard

Auto Lift Car-Park-8 Car Storage Lift 8K lb 4 Post Parking Lift

Car Park 8
8,000 lbs.
86 1/4"
103 1/2"
94.5"
19"
165.5"
70"
1HP 110v 20A

Auto Lift 8K lb. 4 Post Car Storage and Service Lift |Parking Lift

8,000 lb. capacity and large 3" cylinder, one-piece diamond-plate runways and scratch-resistant powder coat paint. The clearance between the column posts are about 6 inches wider than most hobbyist lifts.
•Free Caster Kit
•Free Jack Tray

, $1,799.00

Read more about this product
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

room for 1 more... actually, i'm getting ready to change transmissions; so this is only a temporary thing. i still have one empty garage stall open (and to be honest, it's so full of 'stuff' there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting another vehicle in it) but this is a convenient way to park the truck in the interim.
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Check this one out.

I found this product at www.bestbuyautoequipment.com and thought you might find it of interest.

Richard

Auto Lift Car-Park-8 Car Storage Lift 8K lb 4 Post Parking Lift

Car Park 8
8,000 lbs.
86 1/4"
103 1/2"
94.5"
19"
165.5"
70"
1HP 110v 20A

Auto Lift 8K lb. 4 Post Car Storage and Service Lift |Parking Lift

8,000 lb. capacity and large 3" cylinder, one-piece diamond-plate runways and scratch-resistant powder coat paint. The clearance between the column posts are about 6 inches wider than most hobbyist lifts.
•Free Caster Kit
•Free Jack Tray

, $1,799.00

Read more about this product
That's where I sourced mine. Anthony was very helpful and set me up with a local installer. With shipping and installation it came to $2800.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Mine will be about $2,300 installed including delivery, hydraulic oil and installation. Includes 4 casters, jack plate, drip tray.....best deal I could find that was also safe enough for me to feel comfortable using it.

Casters are about a wasted accessory IMO - I'd rather they gave me lightweight aluminum drive up ramps instead of the steel but I can get those later...
Old 04-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine will be about $2,300 installed including delivery, hydraulic oil and installation. Includes 4 casters, jack plate, drip tray.....best deal I could find that was also safe enough for me to feel comfortable using it.

Casters are about a wasted accessory IMO - I'd rather they gave me lightweight aluminum drive up ramps instead of the steel but I can get those later...
You're right, Frank............

The casters are a waste. I didn't get a set when I bought my lift, but I have access to a set that a neighbor has. I have used them ONCE in 5+ years, and that was after the initial set-up of the lift.

I decided to move the lift a few feet back to give me more room for my work bench.

The aluminum ramps are almost mandatory for old geezers like us.

Those steel ramps are HEAVY and awkward to use. I guarantee that you'll be buying a pair of those quickly.

Chuck
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I hear ya Chuck. A little ironic - I just bought my lift from your same guys AND I talked to them at length about buying the demo lift at the 2009 Kissimmee meet back then and even got the green light from the "household finance committee" (if you know what I mean). But then figured I would just tough it out since I only had one classic car. Buying the second car forced the space issue.

Also, doing the rust treatment on the '63 frame using ramps/jack stands was a life altering experience - don't have that in me any more...
Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I hear ya Chuck. A little ironic - I just bought my lift from your same guys AND I talked to them at length about buying the demo lift at the 2009 Kissimmee meet back then and even got the green light from the "household finance committee" (if you know what I mean). But then figured I would just tough it out since I only had one classic car. Buying the second car forced the space issue.

Also, doing the rust treatment on the '63 frame using ramps/jack stands was a life altering experience - don't have that in me any more...
It's tough when you get old. My knees and my back won't take the "ups and downs" anymore.

I love my lift. I had one at the house in Maryland, but it was impractical to move it 1000 miles to Florida, thus I left it at the house, and it went as part of the sale............

I had a Superior brand lift in MD. The one here in Florida is a Direct brand which came from Garage Gadgets. As you know, it was a Kissimmee demo.

I got 3 drip trays, 2 aluminum ramps, and a jacking bridge with my deal.

It was delivered via a rollback, already erected, and set up at my house.

I paid $2,000.00 total, including sales tax and delivery back in early 2009.

Chuck
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

My shop ceiling is also 9.5', there is room though for stacked low profile cars like these. Mine is not bolted down and it has never been an issue. I too have the castors but have only used them once. I found mine barely used for $1500, I see them on Craigs list regularly. Brian

http://i41.tinypic.com/2w7j12e.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Best home 4post lift

Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You got a killer deal Chuck - I prob should have pulled the trigger on the same deal back in '09. Your lift is a little higher rated than mine but what the hey ? We're only lifting 2,900 lb cars so 8,000 lb vs 9,000 lb capacity ? And the cables are rated at 14,000 lbs -- I think its covered...

One thing to avoid is those plastic drip trays - brake fluid can eat through them and damage anything below....mine is metal.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at lifts also. I taped out my floor for the Pro Park 8 dimensions and it's too big for my wife to comfortably be able to park her Enclave.

I'm going to get out there and retape with the BendPak ST narrow lift and see how that looks.

My dad has had a lift in his garage for probably 10 years and it's awesome.

One thing to avoid is those plastic drip trays - brake fluid can eat through them and damage anything below....mine is metal.
I don't get this quote. Brake fluid is sold in plastic bottles. Modern day master cylinders are plastic.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

On the subject of ramps, the steel one's are a little hefty, but why would you really need to move them? I have a Pro Park 9plus, with steel ramps, I just leave them in place. They are designed to attach to lift, but I leave them about two inches away, and they never move.

Quick Reply: Best home 4post lift