C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How Many Wires Connect To The Back Of 1965 Clock

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How Many Wires Connect To The Back Of 1965 Clock

My dealer cut the wire of the plug that connects to the back of the clock in my 65 corvette. I see a bare wire in the opening where I need to remount my clock and want to re-connect the original wire he but but want to know how many wires go to the plug? I know there are two tabs on the rear middle of the clock that have to get connected...just want to make sure I do this correctly so I dojn't short anything out.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Two wires going into the plug

Find a new dealer to work on your car, seems they've done more harm than good given your other posts
Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Look at the picture I posted in your other post about removing the clock. You have a 12v wire (orange), a ground wire that connects to the black wire in the radio connector, and two bulb sockets (with brown wires). I don't know what "dealer" you have working on it, but find someone else. You need to find a knowledgeable friend to help you with this easy stuff and stay away from people charging you to screw it up.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Not going to defend the dealer here, but I don't understand taking a 49 year old car to a dealer who can no longer be proficient in working on these cars. They work on different cars, different systems, and have different training today.

If a good Corvette mechanic worked there when these cars were new, he would likely be in the range of 75 years old now. The chances are not good of finding that guy.

But good luck getting it back together. If it is still not solved when I take delivery on my '65, you can call me and I will walk you through it.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:17 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Not going to defend the dealer here, but I don't understand taking a 49 year old car to a dealer who can no longer be proficient in working on these cars. They work on different cars, different systems, and have different training today.

If a good Corvette mechanic worked there when these cars were new, he would likely be in the range of 75 years old now. The chances are not good of finding that guy.

But good luck getting it back together. If it is still not solved when I take delivery on my '65, you can call me and I will walk you through it.
i am not servicing at a Chevy dealer...a local shop who seems to work on a lot of 60's cars...
Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Look at the picture I posted in your other post about removing the clock. You have a 12v wire (orange), a ground wire that connects to the black wire in the radio connector, and two bulb sockets (with brown wires). I don't know what "dealer" you have working on it, but find someone else. You need to find a knowledgeable friend to help you with this easy stuff and stay away from people charging you to screw it up.
Looked at the picture. I got the clock back from The Clock Works in the mail today. I don't have the black plug on connector for the back of the clock. Getting it back from my shop tomorrow. In the hold of the dash where the clock goes, there is a wire that is two colors, black and orange striped (I'm guessing this is the "orange" wire you speak of). The other wire is a black wire (ground I think). Now, my question, since I don't have the plug here is...do two wires connect to that plug or just the black ground and the orange connects directly to the clock (i.e.: are there two wires coming out the back of the plug)?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Also, there is a thin brown wire hanging loose back there...not sure what that is or if it's related to the clock...but my bulbs are still connected and they are using a grayish colored wire for both...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Brown Wire

The brown wire is hot when the key is on, (ask me how I know)make sure it doesn't ground on anything. I think there is a brown wire to the radio, but I don't have my wiring diagram with me. But I do remember all the lights that light the dash are gray wires to include the clock.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Both wires normally go into the black plastic connector that you are missing.

This photo shows the orange/black wire goes on the top of the "T" and the black wire goes on the leg of the "T".

If you have a brown wire with a female terminal, and it's always hot, then that wire normally goes to a capacitor that mounts behind the dash.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Yeah, sorry, I meant gray wires to the bulbs. As Jeff said, you should have a two wire connector for the clock. The orange and black wire is your 12v wire to the clock and is hot all the time. The black wire goes to the lug that is connected to the clock case. The black wire connects electrically to the black wire in the radio connector and then the black wire with the ring in Jeff's picture connects to I believe the Z bar to provide ground for the clock and radio.
I can't think of a brown wire in that area except the one that goes to the turn signal flasher mounted on the radio side panel on the driver's side.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

Yeah, sorry, I meant gray wires to the bulbs. As Jeff said, you should have a two wire connector for the clock. The orange and black wire is your 12v wire to the clock and is hot all the time. The black wire goes to the lug that is connected to the clock case. The black wire connects electrically to the black wire in the radio connector and then the black wire with the ring in Jeff's picture connects to I believe the Z bar to provide ground for the clock and radio.
I can't think of a brown wire in that area except the one that goes to the turn signal flasher mounted on the radio side panel on the driver's side.
Here is a shot of the rear of the clock and the connectors.
Dave Z
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Both wires normally go into the black plastic connector that you are missing.

This photo shows the orange/black wire goes on the top of the "T" and the black wire goes on the leg of the "T".

If you have a brown wire with a female terminal, and it's always hot, then that wire normally goes to a capacitor that mounts behind the dash.
The above photo courtesy of DZVette, hosted by BarryK at http://www.lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
bondguy
Instructor

I installed the clock today...he used the connector but rewired it directly to the fusebox. I told him I'd install the clips myself. I got the car home, reached back up behind and got the right one on no problem. Tried getting the left one on and dropped the clip...I will open it up by removing the right side panel later. But, in the meantime, he must have left the orange/black clock wire back there without taping the end up. I touched a wire and it touched some metal back there and made a small sound and the next thing I know, the courtesy lights by the footwells on both sides went out and so did the light in the glovebox. I'm guessing I just blew a fuse. I didn't have time to check it but will check it out later. I must say that with only the right clip on there the clock is in pretty securely and tight. I might just fish the old clip out and tape up that loose wire so that doesn't happen again. This time, though , I will disconnect the battery first.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
anglerjon
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure why this guy would not use original wiring, but to leave hot wires exposed like that is crazy, I would be careful taking this car back to him, just mho.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The posts where you're sliding those clips to hold the clock are grounded to the clock case, so if you touch the clips to the spade where the black/orange wire plugs, you short out your 12v for the clock to ground. Did you ever get that battery disconnect switch we discussed earlier. It would have come in handy.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM
bondguy
Instructor

[QUOTE=65GGvert;1586519775]The posts where you're sliding those clips to hold the clock are grounded to the clock case, so if you touch the clips to the spade where the black/orange wire plugs, you short out your 12v for the clock to ground. Did you ever get that battery disconnect switch we discussed earlier. It would have come in handy.[/QUOTE
Clock is still working fine...I think I need to replace a fuse for the courtesy lights on both driver's side and passenger side...prob the same fuse is for the glovebox light as all three bulbs went out when that happened. I looked at my manual and looked with a flashlight at the fuse box but my eyes aren't too good and I can't tell if the fuse is blown or which one controls that. Any help as to which fuse would be appreciated...thanks. I think it's the bottom fuse in the box and it's a 20 amp I see...controls courtesy lamps, and brake lamps.

Last edited by bondguy; 03-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

should be the bottom fuse. Also controls the brake lights.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Wires Connect To The Back Of 1965 Clock

Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM
bondguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5thvet
should be the bottom fuse. Also controls the brake lights.
I did replace the 20amp fuse on the bottom. No problem and all is good. I disconnected the batter terminal this time, opened up the side panel near glovebox and reached in…put a small piece of electrical tape over the exposed loose wire…also got the other clip for the clock installed…what a hard time I had clipping the clock clip on the other side reaching in from the right side of dash panel…but I finally got it after nearly dropping the clip numerous times. All is good now..thanks for all your help.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:24 PM
RestoVette
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Be sure to check this post out before you wire your mid-year clock....

You might want to review a post I made 10 year ago before you do the final wiring hookup for your mid-year clock. If not wired correctly, you can destroy your heater core. Check it out here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ores-long.html
Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RestoVette
You might want to review a post I made 10 year ago before you do the final wiring hookup for your mid-year clock. If not wired correctly, you can destroy your heater core. Check it out here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ores-long.html
And did you figure out how the 12v got from the clock case, through the fiberglass console to the heater core?

Quick Reply: How Many Wires Connect To The Back Of 1965 Clock