C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Behind Gauge Cluster Capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1963 Behind Gauge Cluster Capacitors

I took out my 63 SWC Gauge cluster in perfect working condition and freshened it up with paint, plastic clear lenses, plastic green/red indicators etc, and it came out great - actually better than I thought. I was getting ready to reinstall and noticed 2 capacitors - One behind the ignition switch (#'s are unreadable) and it looks like the wire had separated and the the other reading 1960959. My plan is to install it this weekend and as much as I hate to order anything overnight, I would like to replace those 2 parts now instead of having to get back on my back again at a later time.

Anyone care to advise on where to order from and if they do actually ship overnight instead of an online system telling you it is available overnight once it crosses the fulfillment center in the North Pole.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM
KMS396
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Zip Corvettes shipping is insanely fast.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Zip only does Ground.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You can get to the ignition switch capacitor with the cluster in the car (I've done it on my '63). You could epoxy the broken off wire to the busted capacitor if you just want the look. It only provides noise suppression on AM radio anyway and if you don't listen to that its no big deal. It undoubtedly 'died' years ago and you've been without it anyway.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by HHZ06
Zip only does Ground.
From their website.....click "Shipping" Blue Dropdown box on any item
  • UPS Ground: Guaranteed day of delivery to all 50 states and Puerto Rico according to above shipping map. Total freight costs calculated based on order value includes all shipping, handling and insurance costs. Additional insurance protection is NOT required when ordering from Zip.
  • UPS Next Day Air: Guaranteed next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination to all 50 states and Puerto Rico, with some limitations in Alaska and Hawaii. Freight costs are calculated at the time of shipment. *Next Day Air Saturday delivery is available upon request. Contact our sales department for details.
  • UPS 2nd Day Air: Guaranteed delivery by the end of the second business day to All 50 states and Puerto Rico, with some limitations in Alaska and Hawaii (may require additional transit time.) Freight costs are calculated at the time of shipment.
  • UPS 3 Day Select: Guaranteed delivery by the end of the third business day to the 48 contiguous states. Freight costs are calculated at the time of shipment.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can get to the ignition switch capacitor with the cluster in the car (I've done it on my '63). You could epoxy the broken off wire to the busted capacitor if you just want the look. It only provides noise suppression on AM radio anyway and if you don't listen to that its no big deal. It undoubtedly 'died' years ago and you've been without it anyway.
Agree, save your UPS Next Day money and put it in later after you place a order for those other things forgotten.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM
HHZ06
Pro

Are the capacitors pretty much signal conditioners and power reserves? Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Is that the same type of paper capacitor as the ones for C1s?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by HHZ06
Are the capacitors pretty much signal conditioners and power reserves? Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Pretty much noise suppression to keep the clicking and ticking noises down and to reduce needle bounce on the meters.

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Is that the same type of paper capacitor as the ones for C1s?
No.....the ones on the 63-67's are all metal cans

BTW the 1960959 goes on the Ammeter. The one behind the Ign switch is 1960960. I believe same 0.3mfd value, but the wire lead for this one has a plastic connector that plugs into the heavy gauge brown lead from the main harness with a mating connector. That Brown wire is the Accessory feed from the fuse panel.

Rich
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Zip has the capacitors for about $21 each...its nice to have them but again, yours probably failed two decades ago...they age and leak, wires break and they are ineffective. I bet you never even noticed. I did replace them on my '63 just because the car is so original in all other respects.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Behind Gauge Cluster Capacitors

Quick Reply: 1963 Behind Gauge Cluster Capacitors