C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buyers checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 AM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buyers checklist

Has anyone compiled a car buyers checklist of any kind? Specific to c2's would be especially helpful. While looking for a car to purchase I'm afraid with my ageing memory I may forget to look for or check the obvious. I'd hate to buy a car and realize I forgot to check something as simple as the headlights. I have started to compile one but thought maybe someone may have already done so. Thanks in advance, Charlie
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a list I made but I can not post it. Send me your email and I will send you a copy.
Joe
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM
scottydogmd
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Another good reason to bring an expert with you. They usually have that checklist in their heads!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by scottydogmd
Another good reason to bring an expert with you. They usually have that checklist in their heads!
couldn't have said it better myself....when I show up to inspect a car, the owner usually says something like "all you got is a flashlight, a magnet and a blank pad of paper?". I say "I have everything in my head that I need to look at, the pad is to write down everything that isn't right on the car"...that usually gets the seller to go in the house and grab cold brew and let me do my business.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Yeah - well...I don't look at any of 'em without my Harbor Freight gooseneck inspection camera...
They even have an upgraded version now that takes and records video in hi-def...
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
couldn't have said it better myself....when I show up to inspect a car, the owner usually says something like "all you got is a flashlight, a magnet and a blank pad of paper?". I say "I have everything in my head that I need to look at, the pad is to write down everything that isn't right on the car"...that usually gets the seller to go in the house and grab cold brew and let me do my business.
I think if someone shows up with a preprinted checklist and a clipboard, the seller would immediately know he didn't know what he was doing.

I might have a minimum of patience with such a "buyer."
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yeah - well...I don't look at any of 'em without my Harbor Freight gooseneck inspection camera...
They even have an upgraded version now that takes and records video in hi-def...
Bought one last year works great
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottydogmd
I couldn't agree more. I would pay for an expert once I have found a car that I am interested in for sure, but first I need to check it the best I can.
I can't pay someone to check out every car I look at. I also agree it would be annoying to have some guy show up with a clipboard checking things off. But it would be nice to have to freshen up your memory before you take a look. Good points and advise. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM
scottydogmd
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cbhood
I couldn't agree more. I would pay for an expert once I have found a car that I am interested in for sure, but first I need to check it the best I can.
I can't pay someone to check out every car I look at. I also agree it would be annoying to have some guy show up with a clipboard checking things off. But it would be nice to have to freshen up your memory before you take a look. Good points and advise. Thanks.
I see the point you're making and it is a good one. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't have a checklist, but I use a sheet with columns for the dated parts, so I can check the dates on parts like alternators, starters, glass etc.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by plaidside
I have a list I made but I can not post it. Send me your email and I will send you a copy.
Joe
Thanks Joe, excellent job on the list. It will come in handy.

Get notified of new replies

To Buyers checklist

Quick Reply: Buyers checklist