C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

thinking of buying c2

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking of buying c2

I'm visiting from the c5 forum. So I'm a newbie to C2's.. Thinking of buying one with a max. budget of 60K. I'm looking for advise as to what to look for that will be more likely to appreciate in value and have easy resale when the time comes. I would think 66-67 vertte with matching #'s are at the top of the the list, but what else. I found an incredible 67 but it's an automatic. I have searched for a c2 buyers checklist of some sort with no luck also. Tips? thanks in advance, Charlie.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What kind of car do you want? A original restored show car, a nice restored but not correct car, restomod, or something diffreant. Coupe or convertible, four speed or auto, color combos and type of engine. For 60k you can get a whole lot of car. Answer these and we can narrow it down further
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Also how do you plain on using this car. Like a daily driver, drive it every nice weekend for ice cream runs and going to church or every now and then when you can find time, or just garage art that will never see light of day?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cbhood
I'm visiting from the c5 forum. So I'm a newbie to C2's.. Thinking of buying one with a max. budget of 60K. I'm looking for advise as to what to look for that will be more likely to appreciate in value and have easy resale when the time comes. I would think 66-67 vertte with matching #'s are at the top of the the list, but what else. I found an incredible 67 but it's an automatic. I have searched for a c2 buyers checklist of some sort with no luck also. Tips? thanks in advance, Charlie.
So many engines are restamped that I would not limit my search to matching numbers only. Do you want a coupe or a convertible? Big block or small block? A big block or a high horse small block, 4 speed will always be a great choice. Look for one that does not need a lot of work, the color should match the trim tag and the engine should be close to stock. The body should not be modified and the body line should sharp not rounded. Check the frame at the kick ups for rust and check the VIN on the frame, bird cage (under glove box) and title.
Take your time and do some research.

Good luck,
Kent
Old 03-08-2014, 10:54 PM
cbhood
Instructor

As original as possible, weekend driver, restored. An original big block is out of my price range.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 PM
cbhood
Instructor

I saw that that thread with the beautiful red vette with a rusted out birdcage. Yikes!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettekent
So many engines are restamped that I would not limit my search to matching numbers only. Do you want a coupe or a convertible? Big block or small block? A big block or a high horse small block, 4 speed will always be a great choice. Look for one that does not need a lot of work, the color should match the trim tag and the engine should be close to stock. The body should not be modified and the body line should sharp not rounded. Check the frame at the kick ups for rust and check the VIN on the frame, bird cage (under glove box) and title.

Good luck,
Kent
Is their a way to tell if it's been re-stamped? I didn't know it was that common, but doesn't surprise me.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Then I would find a 65-67 high horse 327 you can find. There are plenty of pigs with lip stick out there. Do some basic searches on the internet and post links on here or a new thread and ask us to pick it apart. When you narrow your picks down I am sure we can find someone close by to look at the car with you.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Are you mechanically inclined? "Sweat Equity" can work to your advantage. 63's are pretty these days. Your budget should land you a good candidate. Since you're a rookie, I'd advise asking someone knowledgable to look at your car before you finalize your purchase.

I'd buy the best condition, highest hp, optioned, 4 speed roadster, numbers match car of any year, except 63. That year coupes rule. You want best condition because it costs more to restore than you'll get in return. Highest hp is more desirable. More options are more unique. Numbers match, because that = value in this game.

Since you're interested in appreciation, driving one in great condition is not advised. BUT, even a driver will still appreciate.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettekent

Good luck,
Kent
Originally Posted by Zoomin
Are you mechanically inclined? "Sweat Equity" can work to your advantage. 63's are pretty these days. Your budget should land you a good candidate. Since you're a rookie, I'd advise asking someone knowledgable to look at your car before you finalize your purchase.

I'd buy the best condition, highest hp, optioned, 4 speed roadster, numbers match car of any year, except 63. That year coupes rule. You want best condition because it costs more to restore than you'll get in return. Highest hp is more desirable. More options are more unique. Numbers match, because that = value in this game.

Since you're interested in appreciation, driving one in great condition is not advised. BUT, even a driver will still appreciate.
Thanks, everybody, great tips.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Then I would find a 65-67 high horse 327 you can find. There are plenty of pigs with lip stick out there. Do some basic searches on the internet and post links on here or a new thread and ask us to pick it apart. When you narrow your picks down I am sure we can find someone close by to look at the car with you.
Thanks, will do.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Does it take away substantial value if someone has replaced a small block hood with a big block hood? I've seen allot of these.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

easy to put in a 4 speed muncie with an auto car, done it twice myself.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I don't think the big block hood will exactly hurt the resale of a small block car, but many people don't want something that seems to be trying to be something it's not, so it may narrow the resale market a bit. Most people when in search of a car are either looking for a SB car or a BB car...and they want it to be represented as such...

That said, restomod cars are a big maket right now, and with those cars, anything goes...

My suggestion is to decide exactly what you want, then stick to the search for it! You'll be suprised what you can find for 60k, if you search long and hard!!

My goal was to find a great driver '66 BB conv, and I was ultimately able to find that exact car, but it also had the original engine and trans (out of the car and apart)...It had another 427 in it and another M-21 trans...since I planned to drive the car a lot, this was the perfect package deal for me!!

I was able to get exactly what I wanted for less than you're wanting to spend, and you will too...Just be very patient and don't jump the gun to just get something in the garage!!

Good luck in your search!! Post photos when you find the right C2 for you!!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM
cbhood
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I don't think the big block hood will exactly hurt the resale of a small block car, but many people don't want something that seems to be trying to be something it's not, so it may narrow the resale market a bit. Most people when in search of a car are either looking for a SB car or a BB car...and they want it to be represented as such...

That said, restomod cars are a big maket right now, and with those cars, anything goes...

My suggestion is to decide exactly what you want, then stick to the search for it! You'll be suprised what you can find for 60k, if you search long and hard!!

My goal was to find a great driver '66 BB conv, and I was ultimately able to find that exact car, but it also had the original engine and trans (out of the car and apart)...It had another 427 in it and another M-21 trans...since I planned to drive the car a lot, this was the perfect package deal for me!!

I was able to get exactly what I wanted for less than you're wanting to spend, and you will too...Just be very patient and don't jump the gun to just get something in the garage!!

Good luck in your search!! Post photos when you find the right C2 for you!!
Any thoughts on this?
http://www.gmdownunder.com/9884-64vet.html
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 AM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

I think 67 is the best year in terms of value and potential appreciation. I bought a numbers matching '67 vert a few weeks ago from Mershon's that has beautiful, fresh paint and interior with brand new top for $57K. It was a decent value but needed a lot of suspension rebuilding as the previous owners took care of the drive train but completely ignored the underside of the car. I'm not certain of the final cost to fix that stuff but say it's $5K: the total cost then of a very nice show/driver is then $62K.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by cbhood
That car looks very nice from here, highly correct as well. Other than minor details (cracked spare tire carrier - expensive to replace), it could be solid.

In general, many shy away from the '64s as the least desirable, but it makes them more affordable, and they are still a mid-year.

That one may be pricey for what you are getting.

Get notified of new replies

To thinking of buying c2

Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by cbhood View Post
Any thoughts on this?

Blackwall tires in one photo .. . whitewalls in the next??? . . . seem "odd" . . .
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
Originally Posted by cbhood View Post
Any thoughts on this?

Blackwall tires in one photo .. . whitewalls in the next??? . . . seem "odd" . . .
That is a little odd, I'd ask about it. I'd also ask for some underhood pictures before I went to look. Car looks like a nice car. Doesn't show the vin tag, I'd also ask for that.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Be patient. It took me several months to narrow down all the options and come to the conclusion I really wanted a 65 or 66 silver 4 sp L79 coupe. It took me 3 years to find a rust free and reliable one, but no buyers remorse here...I have my dream car in every detail.

I would also start looking for an expert to inspect any midyear you are thinking about buying. These cars are 50 years old and many have issues, sellers use misleading terms and there are a lot of fakes out there.

Have you ever driven a midyear?

Convertibles cost more than coupes except for the SWC. If you want a coupe, get one with ac. Documentation is always very valuable. Real KH knock offs will increase the value and for most so will factory side pipes. Generally, the more options the better it will hold its value, but I would not be buying a midyear as a financial investment. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying c2