C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1 pc door window conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 AM
drd1vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1 pc door window conversions

Does anyone manufacture a 1-pc door window conversion kit for the midyear corvettes? I have a coupe and would like to get rid of the vent window. Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Someone here on the forum is doing a conversion on their project. I believe he had most of it all figured out. You can also try calling these folks.....

http://www.hitekhotrods.com/gallery.html

They make a complete 67 coupe body. I called them for a price for a pair of doors with one piece glass awhile back, I was going to do the same on my 65 coupe. If I recall, the price was around 3K for the doors, glass, and power window motors.

R/
Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 AM
drd1vette
Racer

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a try.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Someone here on the forum is doing a conversion on their project. I believe he had most of it all figured out. You can also try calling these folks.....

http://www.hitekhotrods.com/gallery.html

They make a complete 67 coupe body. I called them for a price for a pair of doors with one piece glass awhile back, I was going to do the same on my 65 coupe. If I recall, the price was around 3K for the doors, glass, and power window motors.

R/
Jeff
it is now http://www.burtonsmotorwerks.com/
jake burton was the manager of hitekhotrods and now owns
the above. great guy, very busy and did my build. jim
Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by drd1vette
Does anyone manufacture a 1-pc door window conversion kit for the midyear corvettes? I have a coupe and would like to get rid of the vent window. Thanks everyone in advance.
I looked into this extensively because I wanted to do the same thing. There are no kits and it is very difficult to do because of the way the glass goes down in the door at an angle. There is a guy on here doing it but you have to fill in the front lower corner of the window opening and use a straight piece of glass. It would be very time consuming and expensive. I ended up just using the original glass and put in a fixed piece of tinted Lexan in the vent window frame. I painted the frames black and tinted the windows.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by drd1vette
GM Styling built one for Bill Mitchell when he was in charge - a friend of mine restored it; you wouldn't believe the cost and complexity of that piece of glass and the runner/track system that drops it in a compound motion.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 04:28 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
GM Styling built one for Bill Mitchell when he was in charge - a friend of mine restored it; you wouldn't believe the cost and complexity of that piece of glass and the runner/track system that drops it in a compound motion.
Looks really good but the cost and the complexity would just be too much for most people. I've seen a few customs that have just a fixed piece of tinted Lexan but if you can't open it then what good is it.

Last edited by biggd; 03-08-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Now that is an interesting fact and obviously a rare set up. But when your Bill Mitchell in that era, things can just happen Thanks for sharing John, just how many interesting pictures do you actually have tucked away? Seems like you always have one up your sleeve

R/
Jeff
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 649 Likes on 278 Posts

These guys have a whole door configured to allow a one piece window. Flat glass is cheap, <$100 each, curved would be thousands.
http://www.downscars.com/1967-corvet...ica-door-left/
Old 03-09-2014, 01:10 AM
drd1vette
Racer

Heard of the compound mechanism before; thought someone had figured out a simple solution like Camaro. Am looking into the link from the first response. John Z has helped me so many times over the past 10 years. Thank you again, Sir. Great pictures.

Last edited by drd1vette; 03-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1 pc door window conversions

Quick Reply: 1 pc door window conversions