C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 brake lights only problem

Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 63 brake lights only problem

Problem: Tail lights=OK/ Turn lights=OK/ Brake lights=No work. Brake light switch checks out OK. No previous problems. Where to start?-lib
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Fuse ok?

If so, it's likely your directional switch. Brake light circuit passes through that before getting out to the back.

Rich
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
954rider
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have 12 volts on the output terminal of the brake switch when applied, that wire goes directly to the turn signal switch at the base of the column. Check for power at that wire at the turn signal switch. If you have power there, check the adjustment of the turn signal switch. There are only 3 outputs from the turn signal switch to the rear lights, violet, purple and blue. Chances are, you problem will lie in the turn signal switch or it's adjustment.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Brake light

With turn signal in neutral position, manually slide the switch sdjuster to middle position, then see if they light.
Boyan
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
lib
Pro

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know if I've found the problem-lib
Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
lib
Pro

Default Day 2 update #1

A] Confirmed power in and out of brake light switch. It appears orange= power in / white- power out. Unable to locate this switch in Shop Manual Electrical Schematic.
B] Manually manipulated turn signal switch while still mounted. Made no difference in operation of any lights. Removed turn signal switch from steering column. Separated wiring plug from switch to test. All connections looked good and could see no loose wires in connector. Located a constant 12v (blue wire?) but couldn't find any continuity between or power from brake light switch when pedal depressed. It would be helpful to confirm which wire in that connector brings power from brake light sw. to turn signal sw. Thanks-lib
Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

The white wire goes directly from the brake switch to the turn signal switch on 64 and up. The diagram shows "natural" as the color on a 63. It's the one that's not orange. Orange is the 12v source and the "natural" goes to the turn signal switch. The diagram shows the dark blue and light blue wires feeding the front turn signal bulbs and the turn indicator bulbs on the dash. When the turn signal is in the center position, the contacts should be made to the brake lights. When in the left position, it interrupts the brake signal and allows the flasher to flash the same filament for the turn signal. With the signal in the center position, and the brake pressed, you should have 12v on both the brake light bulbs at the rear (not the tail light filament, only the brake filament), even with the ignition switch off.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
954rider
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, the White or Natural colored wire goes directly from the stoplight switch to the turn signal switch.
From the turn signal switch, the pink and violet wires carry the power to the stoplights.
If your turn signals operate correctly, it sounds like the contact in the turn signal switch between the white wire and the pink and violet wires is open.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
lib
Pro

Default SUCCESS!!!! You gents know of what you speak, as usual....

I cut off what I couldn't see of the Wht. wire, stripped the ends, clipped in a test wire between switches, and turned the battery on. Voila, we have brake lights! Spliced in a new wire after removing the test wire and all lights are working correctly. Re-installed and adjusted the turn signal switch (that top screw is challenging) and continued on with the original task I started last night. I recently bought new LED tail lights and an electronic flasher from CF member Bruce/"Ohiovet" and had installed the first one when I realized I had no tail lights. I now have half of them done and what a visual difference they make. They are "flame throwers" compared to stock.
Thanks again for the solid info. It saved me many hours of "fishing" for the answer, accompanied by extreme annoyance while working in a cramped area. Someday I may surrender and remove the driver's seat, but probably not-lib
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Lib,
Glad you solved the problem.
This forum is a great resource.
Bruce B

Get notified of new replies

To 63 brake lights only problem

Search this Thread