C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years

Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dheel
I'm a little over $20k in the car, which is a mostly complete, has a solid frame and comes with the original motor. a project like this is pretty hard to place a value on. I put my faith in a friend who has been in the body shop/car business for 50 years. I also spent a month researching the values of recently sold projects and called some corvette professionals about the car. but at the end of the day its still a gamble. at this point we r going to get it running, driving and stopping. at that point I will decide how to proceed. I may drive it green and crusty or I may finish the interior, redo the chrome and paint it.
at this point, I feel good about where we r on this car.
You did fine if you spent 20k if the frame and glass is solid plus the inside braces. It depends upon your goal... But you can easily spend more than 30k-40k more on it to go somewhat back to somewhat stock. restomod add a lot more. You can easily place a value on the project... How much are you willing do to yourself? Don't be afraid to do some of the work yourself. You will be surprised on what you can actually do once you start working on some of these items.

Take a close look at the frame and the interior braces. Plus check the glass for any damage. If it was me... The first thing I would do is make sure I have all of the paperwork and the vin matches what is on the frame. From there I would make a list of wants and needs. Make an inventory list and find out what you are going to need to replace.

The windshield frame and posts will come out nice even though these are pitted. Look for a company which can refinish pot metal chrome.

The only reason why I know this is based upon my own experience of doing a frame off restoration. Are you sure the engine is original? It looks like the valve covers have breathers on each one. If that is correct it should have a draft tube or pcv. Then again I am no expert...

Last edited by jimh_1962; 03-05-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope I didn't sound disparaging... not my intent.

If you want/always wanted a Vette... and you have a solid foundation, dig in and have fun.

If the point is that this will be an investment that you can make money on... well, that might be tough.

Working on these cars is lots of fun... and if you do a lot of the work yourself, you will know the car intimately, and know exactly what you have for your time and $ investment.

Best of luck... and there is a great crew here to help out if you get stuck. Don't be too shy to ask!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Revfan

If the point is that this will be an investment that you can make money on... well, that might be tough.

Its a labour or love
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome good luck with your 60'
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM
RandallCole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Good ol' JC Whitney hood scoop.

I like Cragars, you will probably find that new ones are cheaper than rechrome, but the new ones seem to be universal lug,and i don't care for them as much as dedicated lug circle diameter wheels, which center better.

Yours are probably for single lug diameter

Doug
I think you just got me to buy Cragars.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

You can get a nice 4 bolt new engine for less than the cost of rebuilding the old one. $1500 will get it delivered to your door.

There is a lot of talk about the value of a numbers matching car v/s a car with a few improvements over the original one.
If you bought it to make money, spend about another $35,000 and have a car that you can ask top dollar for. (but don't even think about driving it)
If you bought it to drive it, do what ever you want. When you sell it, depending on what use it will be for, the price will be close to the same. and the cost a lot less.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
You can get a nice 4 bolt new engine for less than the cost of rebuilding the old one. $1500 will get it delivered to your door.

There is a lot of talk about the value of a numbers matching car v/s a car with a few improvements over the original one.
If you bought it to make money, spend about another $35,000 and have a car that you can ask top dollar for. (but don't even think about driving it)
If you bought it to drive it, do what ever you want. When you sell it, depending on what use it will be for, the price will be close to the same. and the cost a lot less.
That's good advise. The key to ANY project is to have a clear vision of the end result before you start. If the goal is to make a profit, it will take you in a different direction than if your main goal is to have a cool car to drive.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
dheel
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
You did fine if you spent 20k if the frame and glass is solid plus the inside braces. It depends upon your goal... But you can easily spend more than 30k-40k more on it to go somewhat back to somewhat stock. restomod add a lot more. You can easily place a value on the project... How much are you willing do to yourself? Don't be afraid to do some of the work yourself. You will be surprised on what you can actually do once you start working on some of these items.

Take a close look at the frame and the interior braces. Plus check the glass for any damage. If it was me... The first thing I would do is make sure I have all of the paperwork and the vin matches what is on the frame. From there I would make a list of wants and needs. Make an inventory list and find out what you are going to need to replace.

The windshield frame and posts will come out nice even though these are pitted. Look for a company which can refinish pot metal chrome.

The only reason why I know this is based upon my own experience of doing a frame off restoration. Are you sure the engine is original? It looks like the valve covers have breathers on each one. If that is correct it should have a draft tube or pcv. Then again I am no expert...
frame is solid, glass is pretty good, and the numbers on the engine block match. we r going to do the bulk of the work ourselves, which I am really looking forward to. in fact, i'll be spending 9 days of my vacation working on the car this summer. I have a budget for the restoration, but it is contingent upon no major surprises. if we have extra expenses, i'll keep it green for a few more years.
what's that song Kermit the Frog sings? "its not easy being green?" Thanks for your thoughts! dave
Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
dheel
Intermediate

I hope I didn't sound disparaging... not my intent.

If you want/always wanted a Vette... and you have a solid foundation, dig in and have fun.

Working on these cars is lots of fun... and if you do a lot of the work yourself, you will know the car intimately, and know exactly what you have for your time and $ investment.

Best of luck... and there is a great crew here to help out if you get stuck. Don't be too shy to ask!
all is good, thx. I'm really excited to get the restoration underway!
many thx,
dave
Old 03-07-2014, 02:04 PM
dheel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roger Walling

thx roger, interesting comments. I feel like I should use the original motor at this point. the carb has been changed and I'm told the valve covers may not be original, but the numbers do match. I plan on driving it, having fun with it, and letting the kids eat ice cream in it. but we will have to see what kind of shape the motor is in before I commit to a rebuild. appreciate your thoughts, thx.
dave
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM
dheel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
1. If the motor turns over, why don't you try to start it? See what happens. Maybe you don't need to rebuild it right away. Maybe the generator and starter work too.

2. You probably do want to paint it and completely replace the interior. If you do that, then remove the windshield and send the windshield chrome out to be redone with the bumpers and other chrome pieces. You can remove all those items yourself and save on paint prep costs.

3. Replace the windshield glass because you have the windshield assembly out. The glass is probably pitted from age. Zip can put the glass into the re-chromed frame. You can put the assembly back on the car.

4. The time to do the dash pad is when the windshield is out. You can do this.

5. You can replace the interior carpets and door panels. Send the seats out.

6. If you have the interior out, replace the wiring.

7. Remove the passenger side door mirror. It is not original to the car. If you're spending $10K for a paint job, this is your opportunity to fix the holes in the passenger door where the mirror was.

8. You already know about the brakes, fuel tank, and fuel lines. If it were my car, I'd replace the master brake cylinder, wheel cylinders, and lines and switch over to DOT5 (silicone). The gas tank is under $200. Cheap insurance to help keep the car running well.

9. Join your local NCRS chapter. Those guys know all the local resources that could help you get this work done.

Good luck with your car.
chris, quick question for u. keep the drum brakes or go to disks? I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible without going over board. but modern brakes seem like a smart thing to do, as does a modern paint job and even a modern stereo.
thx,
d-
Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think with the original motor, and the drum brakes, you should be just fine. Cruising with kids and ice cream is not going to stress out drum brakes if they are sorted out properly.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Lots of stop and goes around clarendon area (used to live there...). I would put a dual master disk brake setup.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

I like it GREEN. Concentrate on making it a safe driving Corvette. Then drive it for a year. In Spring of 2015, big $$$$ decisions can be made. A year from now you will have learned lots about CORVETTE , this car and all your new friends.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find an old school 327 machinist who can rebuild your motor for about $2000.
At least just here north of Atlanta !
Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a fun project! Take your time and enjoy the restoration process. Anything you'll ever need to know about your car can be found here. Good luck with it!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dheel
chris, quick question for u. keep the drum brakes or go to disks? I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible without going over board. but modern brakes seem like a smart thing to do, as does a modern paint job and even a modern stereo.
I'd stick with the drums. If the drum system on your car is working properly, and you stomp on the brake pedal, the 4 wheels will lock up. You can't ask it to do more than that. What discs get you is that if you have to do that many times in a row, such as in a race, the drums will fade, but the discs fade much later. That's important in a race and perhaps in the mountains. But not so much on the street. Disc brakes don't stop better than drums. They just can do it more often. I'd get the system up to snuff and drive the car. If after driving it for a while you feel the need to convert to discs, then do it. It's a reversible modification.

What you might want to spend your effort on is the master cylinder, the lines, the wheel cylinders, and the parking (emergency) brake. Your car is a single line system. If you get a leak, you lose your brakes. I'd make sure that part of your system is up to snuff. That part of the system will be needed whether you have drums or discs. If that part of the system is old, you may consider replacing all of it. The parts are not that expensive, and it buys you peace of mind. If you replace everything, you might consider converting to DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid. See the archives for lots of discussion on that. ("Tastes great. Less filling.")

You're right about modern paint. Modern paint is so much better than lacquer. If NCRS judging becomes important to you in the future, there's ways to mitigate the points hit.

I'd hold off on the killer sound system. Again, you can always install that later. I find I don't much listen to a stereo when I drive my car.

If it were my car, I'd get it running safely and reliably and then just drive it and enjoy it for a while. Most guys find that what they want to do with their cars changes over time. That's a good thing. It's your car. You should restore it in such a way that suits you.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years

Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
You can find an old school 327 machinist who can rebuild your motor for about $2000.
At least just here north of Atlanta !

I had my 327 rebuilt which required boring, polish the crank, new 10:1 pistons, a new L79 cam , freshen the heads, all for $1400.
This was done by a reputable machine shop/engine builder in Middletown, Ohio. A great deal 2 years ago.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
I'd stick with the drums. If the drum system on your car is working properly, and you stomp on the brake pedal, the 4 wheels will lock up. You can't ask it to do more than that. What discs get you is that if you have to do that many times in a row, such as in a race, the drums will fade, but the discs fade much later. That's important in a race and perhaps in the mountains. But not so much on the street. Disc brakes don't stop better than drums. They just can do it more often. I'd get the system up to snuff and drive the car. If after driving it for a while you feel the need to convert to discs, then do it. It's a reversible modification.

What you might want to spend your effort on is the master cylinder, the lines, the wheel cylinders, and the parking (emergency) brake. Your car is a single line system. If you get a leak, you lose your brakes. I'd make sure that part of your system is up to snuff. That part of the system will be needed whether you have drums or discs. If that part of the system is old, you may consider replacing all of it. The parts are not that expensive, and it buys you peace of mind. If you replace everything, you might consider converting to DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid. See the archives for lots of discussion on that. ("Tastes great. Less filling.")

You're right about modern paint. Modern paint is so much better than lacquer. If NCRS judging becomes important to you in the future, there's ways to mitigate the points hit.

I'd hold off on the killer sound system. Again, you can always install that later. I find I don't much listen to a stereo when I drive my car.

If it were my car, I'd get it running safely and reliably and then just drive it and enjoy it for a while. Most guys find that what they want to do with their cars changes over time. That's a good thing. It's your car. You should restore it in such a way that suits you.
I agree with everything you said.
Original drum brakes are fine.
The brake failure scenario is accurate although all my old Corvettes are that way. But the 57 Gasser I'm building uses a dual master cylinder.
I just saw that Speedway Motors now sells a dual master cylinder that resembles a original Delco master cylinder, pretty cool.
Also, DOT 5 is the only way to go, works fine doesn't attract moisture and won't hurt paint.
The best sound system is the sound from the engine, no high power stereo for me.
My good 57 fuel car is painted base/clear and with some minor shrinkage over the past 3 years the paint would probably pass NCRS judging.
Bruce B

Last edited by ohiovet; 03-08-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: comments
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM
dheel
Intermediate

I think with the original motor, and the drum brakes, you should be just fine. Cruising with kids and ice cream is not going to stress out drum brakes if they are sorted out properly.
great, many thx!
dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years