C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
dheel
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Good ol' JC Whitney hood scoop.

The pot metal door and windshield posts should be refinished. Note you will have to find a chromer that knows how to do potmetal, don't just take their word, get references.

The stainless trim can be polished and it also needs to be flash chromed after polish.

Bumpers can be rechromed.

I like Cragars, you will probably find that new ones are cheaper than rechrome, but the new ones seem to be universal lug,and i don't care for them as much as dedicated lug circle diameter wheels, which center better.

Yours are probably for single lug diameter

Doug

good to know thx. those pictures deserve a frame, well done!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Sorry for the hijack OP, but I had to say how much I like this car. I'm a C3 guy at heart, but this one could change my mind. Beautiful!

Nice score on your C1.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Take your time and do a lot of reading ,squirt oil in spark plugs first .Clean gas tank and run that baby. also once you do drive you will know what's it all about.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dheel
your car looks great, but I've got to be honest, the thread u just shared has me a little nervous.
thx for sharing
Dave - that was not the intent! Restoring the car has been very, very rewarding. The guys on this forum are an amazing resource.. I have met some very colorful characters along the way...

I highly recommend restoring the car! But go in with your eyes open.

Fred
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

SDVette's Car is Awesome!

And yours will be too. All it takes is time, MONEY, and Persistence!

I hope to have my C2 finished in a few months, but I have to say, working on the car has been a reward in itself. I have learned so much over the past few years (searching for the car, finding it, and doing a cosmetic resto) and the guys here at the forum, and the NCRS brotherhood, have been a tremendous help.

Definitely find a local club, the camaraderie and knowledge you'll gain are priceless.

Get it running safely first, so you can drive it around a bit. You will make 10 new friends each time your drive it!

Do minor stuff in the summer while driving, do major stuff in the winter.

And Have Fun!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dheel
it weird, but the car has a number of small snaps riveted onto the body. similar to how my boat cover snaps onto the boat - and I have no idea what they r??? maybe a makeshift convertible top? we will take care of them before paint.
Probably for a tonneau cover. They were popular in the day, especially on British sports cars. Not favored today. Another modification that lowers the value of your car.

I'm not saying you shouldn't modify your car. It's your car, and you should do with it as you please. Make it suit you. But if you do, you should also understand what the market thinks of the modification. Then you can make an informed choice.

The biggest problem with restoring these cars is doing a job twice. That happens. But you want to minimize the occurrences. Spending $10K to paint the car, and then, some years later, deciding that the boat snaps should be removed is expensive.

I hope you can plan and budget for this restoration so that you have a lot of fun doing it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
One more thing.

You don't want the hood scoop. Even if you think you do now, you won't later. And when you go to sell the car, the new owner won't want it. That scoop knocks a couple thousand off the value of the car.

I recommend that if you feel you must have the scoop, then find another stock hood, and have it painted at the same time you get the car painted. Put the stock hood in storage to go with the car when it's sold. That way the paint on the stock hood will match the car.
In the description ... He has two hoods, one with scoop, 1 original. No need to buy another.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One item I have noticed in these project buys. Very few will list a value in range what the car was valued at sale time. Some get caught up in the " I got to own one " and spend their entire budget on a car that needs twice as much to make it back original.
I think the poster has a lot more to be concerned with than which hood to use or finding a correct carburetor . He needs a hoist to view the frame condition before a " body on " restore begins. Many C-1s with scale rust have deeper problems that should be corrected before trudging forward. Been there, done that !
Very desirable project , not an inexpensive venture.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Is that an old shorty helmet on the floor?
Looks interesting..
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM
chevymonza
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

The pot metal door and windshield posts should be refinished. Note you will have to find a chromer that knows how to do potmetal, don't just take their word, get references.

The stainless trim can be polished and it also needs to be flash chromed after polish.

I like Cragars, you will probably find that new ones are cheaper than rechrome, but the new ones seem to be universal lug,and i don't care for them as much as dedicated lug circle diameter wheels, which center better.

Doug

thats a nice color, whats the paint code/ color name?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like you have a good starting point.

As you are doing any disassembly work, watch for inidications of original documentation. For example, if you pull the seats watch for tags attached to the springs that have information such as date. Also, look behind the passenger side seat, on the bulkhead, for grease pencil marking saying what the orginal color was. Even though there was plenty of overspray to determine the original color of my car (see photo in avatar), it would have been nice to document these things, such as with photographs. I wish I had known about these and other things 40+ years ago when I purchased my '60.

What options is the car equipped with? Radio? Heater? Courtesy light? Sun shades? Others?

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Last edited by 1COOL60; 03-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chevymonza
thats a nice color, whats the paint code/ color name?
2004 Lexus color: Indigo Ink effect. PM me if you want the paint code. It isn't cheap paint, about $1600/gallon

Here is a different sun angle photo.

To the OP: Your car looks like a fairly simple project, if there is nothing wrong with the frame, just do it a piece at a time rather than tearing it all apart at once.

Get it running from a coffee can of gas, clean or replace the gas tank and rubber fuel lines, do brakes, check and do front suspension if need be. Now that it runs and steers and stops, do the body a piece at a time, bumpers, other chrome, windshield and dash pad, instruments, interior,, paint. That is how I did my car, though the last paint job (I have had the car 40 years), I did the repaint, and rechrome and interior all at once time. Good luck.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 PM
dheel
Intermediate

2004 Lexus color: Indigo Ink effect. PM me if you want the paint code. It isn't cheap paint, about $1600/gallon

Here is a different sun angle photo.

To the OP: Your car looks like a fairly simple project, if there is nothing wrong with the frame, just do it a piece at a time rather than tearing it all apart at once.

Get it running from a coffee can of gas, clean or replace the gas tank and rubber fuel lines, do brakes, check and do front suspension if need be. Now that it runs and steers and stops, do the body a piece at a time, bumpers, other chrome, windshield and dash pad, instruments, interior,, paint. That is how I did my car, though the last paint job (I have had the car 40 years), I did the repaint, and rechrome and interior all at once time. Good luck.

Thanks,
Doug

thx, that's the general plan - get it running and driving first. we'll see, if we go over budget, i'll drive it Kermit green for a while. I gotta tell you, I've really been studying up on corvettes and have looked at literally thousands of them over the past several months and yours is absolutely stunning! what a great color on a classic fullie, well done!
appreciate your thoughts.
best,
dave
Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 PM
dheel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
Looks like you have a good starting point.

As you are doing any disassembly work, watch for inidications of original documentation. For example, if you pull the seats watch for tags attached to the springs that have information such as date. Also, look behind the passenger side seat, on the bulkhead, for grease pencil marking saying what the orginal color was. Even though there was plenty of overspray to determine the original color of my car (see photo in avatar), it would have been nice to document these things, such as with photographs. I wish I had known about these and other things 40+ years ago when I purchased my '60.

What options is the car equipped with? Radio? Heater? Courtesy light? Sun shades? Others?

Good luck, and keep us informed.
thx for the wisdom, I appreciate it. this car has a wonderbar radio, but not light or shades (has the holes). hope it has a heater!
congrats on such a long relationship with your car, 40 years is a long time!
best,
dave
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Chevyhaulic
One item I have noticed in these project buys. Very few will list a value in range what the car was valued at sale time. Some get caught up in the " I got to own one " and spend their entire budget on a car that needs twice as much to make it back original.
This is so true, and the less familiar one is with these cars, the more trouble they can get into with them.

I'm guilty.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That walnut Grant steering wheel takes away more of the limited space between your chest and it by about 4 inches. You need the original or a smaller flat wheel if you prefer for the space. Even then it's a tight squeeze behind the wheel.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default AZ Doug

What color Blue is your car?? Love it!!! My 66 coupe may be that color soon. Dave

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 65specialk
What color Blue is your car?? Love it!!! My 66 coupe may be that color soon. Dave
See post 32
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM
dheel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Revfan
Chevyhaulic

This is so true, and the less familiar one is with these cars, the more trouble they can get into with them.

I'm guilty.
I'm a little over $20k in the car, which is a mostly complete, has a solid frame and comes with the original motor. a project like this is pretty hard to place a value on. I put my faith in a friend who has been in the body shop/car business for 50 years. I also spent a month researching the values of recently sold projects and called some corvette professionals about the car. but at the end of the day its still a gamble. at this point we r going to get it running, driving and stopping. at that point I will decide how to proceed. I may drive it green and crusty or I may finish the interior, redo the chrome and paint it.
at this point, I feel good about where we r on this car.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Yours is together. That makes it somewhat of an easier project.

This was mine after I obtained a used motor (307) and trans (cast iron Saginaw 4 sp) for it,and got it running, and stopping, and after I put a new left fender on it and primered it.

it came with all the chrome and stainless parts in the trunk. it took a 17 YO high school kid with minimal money about a month to get it running and driving, then about 3 more years to get it painted, new interior and put together. The better motor, trans, fancy paint and rechrome came long after, when i could afford it.

Have fun, it is really fairly easy to work on these cars.

Doug

Quick Reply: 1960 corvette - lost for the past 40 years