C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A Question About Keisler TKO Vs Rs Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A Question About Keisler TKO Vs Rs Tranny

Not a thread about Keisler in general but simply about the differences between their RS series and the TKO transmissions. Disregarding the differences in the gearing I guess I don't understand why they had two different transmissions that seem to be very similar. Both had similar torque capacity, both were 5 speeds and both were direct replacement for the Muncie. I think they were both available in close and wide ratio too.

The one difference that is noted is the improved shift from 2 to 3 with the RS. Oh, it was a couple hundred cheaper too. So is that it?

I'm waiting for the TKO 600 to arrive off the boat to put in my '64 and I was just wondering. (I should have known this already!)

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I can't really ask Keisler now can I?

Bud.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The RS has a smaller rounded case....more clearance.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

RS/SS are completely different transmissions from the TKO, and it is not truly a "direct replacement" as both are longer than a Muncie; therefore making installation a bit more challenging......
Bill
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes, the different case for the RS/SS. Was the RS/SS made 'in house' and could be correctly called Keisler transmission while the TKO only re-engineered by Keisler? Is the RS 2nd to 3rd shift truly better?

Thanks.

Bud.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The RS is a ford mustang T5 I believe. keisler added Carbon fiber clutches so the 2-3 shift is smooth supposedly at 7000+ shifts. I havent tried to prove that yet....
Old 02-27-2014, 08:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Bud2
Ah yes, the different case for the RS/SS. Was the RS/SS made 'in house' and could be correctly called Keisler transmission while the TKO only re-engineered by Keisler? Is the RS 2nd to 3rd shift truly better?

Thanks.

Bud.
the SS was (and still is) made by Legend Gear. Keisler supposedly 'customized' it for direct fit applications. the case doesn't seem to be modified using adapter plates/etc, so i don't know which came first, a transmission by Legend Gear or a design by Keisler and just gears fabricated by LGT...

haven't installed mine yet, but i'm getting itchy palms to get it done....
Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 02-28-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't speak of the RS/SS but i just installed a tko 600 in my 66 327/350 coupe. I don't have any problem with the 2-3 shift. From what I understand the problem manifests itself during high rpm shifts.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS409
I can't speak of the RS/SS but i just installed a tko 600 in my 66 327/350 coupe. I don't have any problem with the 2-3 shift. From what I understand the problem manifests itself during high rpm shifts.
Would there be any links or pictures of installing the 6 speed Hurst. I was told the 6 speed would not fit the 64. I assume this was the wrong info given to me. Thanks

Last edited by Wayne1964; 02-28-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Wayne1964
Would there be any links or pictures of installing the 6 speed . I was told the 6 speed would not fit the 64. I assume this was the wrong info given to me. Thanks
which 6 speed?
Bill
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SS409
The 2-3 TKO shift is a common problem and usually from man-handling the stick and not letting the detent springs do their work. I can hit 3rd very nicely in my '61 by doing an open palm "push" straight at the "TEMP" **** on the center console. If I try to ram it in gear or "aim" it elsewhere you'll get a hang-up. Like the first round of shifting in this video (not the second round of shifting)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 AM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne1964
Would there be any links or pictures of installing the 6 speed . I was told the 6 speed would not fit the 64. I assume this was the wrong info given to me. Thanks
Wayne, the tko 600 and 500 are both five speeds. The difference between the two would be in the gear spacing.

Here's a video showing a TKO going into a 71 vette.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 PM
5-Speeds
Heel & Toe

Default RS and SS differences

The Keisler RS series was a modified Borg Warner ( now Tremec) T45 Transmission. Not a T5. The SS700 was a Modified Legend LGT700.

Keilser never made his own transmission.

The TKO was obviously made by Tremec and is still available. Keisler never did anything to the blocking rings and all T45 units came with carbon fiber rings. The T45 was a short lived production 5 speed in the Mustang, thus ALL Keisler RS units based on the T45, were made from primarily core units. Remember Keisler was no longer a Tremec dealer and Tremec never offered much in the way of aftermarket parts or complete NEW units for the T45.

The T45 and LGT700 use a single rail shift system

The TKO uses a 3 rail system ( thus the bulky top covers.)

The LGT700 that was modified by Keisler is still made by Legend Gear and Transmission. It is still available today and Legend is coming out with better shifter positions and offsets than with Keisler had.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-13-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Links to Non Supporting Vendors removed
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TKO's from Tremec were the first available solution to the 5 spd overdrive need for muscle cars. Then came the RS and then the SS.

From what I have found out, the early TKO's had different endplay specs on the main and countershafts. This was one thing that helped lead to the high rpm shift problem reputation. It used to be something like .015, and they found that tightening them up helped the shifting. I think the new spec on all the tremecs since ?? is .000 to .004. This was not the only problem, but was something that made a difference. When I changed the 5th gear ratios in mine, I put the main shaft at .000 and the countershaft at a -.002 per Tony Sarvis at AstroPerformance.com. He knows these transmissions like no other - he is also the place to go to for parts or problems with the Tremec's. Bought everything i needed from him, at a really good price, and he had great advice on what I should do while i was in there. He also has a few solutions to help the shifting, and knows which tricks really work, and which don't.

Just figured I pass his info along since I had trouble finding where to go for parts for them, and couldnt be happier since finding him.

Last edited by FastEddy; 03-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
the SS was (and still is) made by Legend Gear. Keisler supposedly 'customized' it for direct fit applications. the case doesn't seem to be modified using adapter plates/etc, so i don't know which came first, a transmission by Legend Gear or a design by Keisler and just gears fabricated by LGT...

haven't installed mine yet, but i'm getting itchy palms to get it done....
Bill
what a great looking trans.... so clean compared to the TKO case.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by FastEddy
what a great looking trans.... so clean compared to the TKO case.

Bill
Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5-Speeds
The LGT700 that was modified by Keisler is still made by Legend Gear and Transmission ( legendGT.com ). It is still available today and Legend is coming out with better shifter positions and offsets than with Keisler had. Its currently available from sprakerracing.com bowlertransmissions.com and 5speeds.com

I saw LG&T added Bowler to their distributor list, but I don't even see the LGT-700 mentioned on Bowlers site (or your 5speeds site for that matter Paul). Be nice if the general population could see whats in the works from Legend as far as the shifter mods required to fit the other 99% of the available market ..not just the few race cars Spraker caters to.. and a solid eta for release. Its understood any price quotes would need to come from the distributor or dealer.

**EDIT**
I just hung up the phone with Jack at Legend. He says they currently have and have had, the ability to modify the shifter locations on their LGT-700 over 7 different shifter locations/spacings, including C1/C2/C3 Corvette, early F bodies, A-bodies, Ford, Chrysler, AMC etc ..said he didnt realize there was no press/blogs/threads anywhere advertising this fact and he'll update their website and/or Facebook page with this news pronto. Just some good news for anyone researching their options or on the fence b/n the TKO, T56, LGT. You'd still need to contact one of their Distributors or dealers for pricing, but it looks like somewhere in the mid-$3K ballpark.

January 20 (LG&T's FB page)
Legend Gear and Transmission would like to say thank you to all that have called, emailed, & posted in the last few days. I know there are many concerns about LGT's status and ability to continue producing transmissions and driveline compon...ents after the recent posts of Keisler's decision to file Chapter 7. Let me first say that LGT and sister company Abundant Mfg., Inc are here to support those that have purchased LGT transmissions, Axles, Shifters, or other driveline components. LGT along with Jeff and Sue Spraker of Spraker Racing are working closely together as we create a distribution network such as Spraker Racing that have the same passion, integrity, and values that we feel are representative of Legend Gear and Transmission. LGT will be announcing a 2nd distributor next week as we team up with another qualified transmission company that can offer additional services and products that will enhance the value of our LGT 700 transmission. We have developed a strong and supportive supply chain for our products and we are very appreciative of the efforts by all to get this LGT-700 to market. I look forward to your feedback and pictures of the projects you've allowed us to participate in. It is your feedback that allows us to continually improve and meet the demands and challenges of this ever-changing market we serve. If you find yourself in the Statesville, NC area please stop and visit us. Please visit our website www.LegendGT.com for contact & distributor information. Jack Simms (VP of LegendGT Operations) along with myself are available to answer any questions you might have.
Kevin Smith, President, Legend Gear & Transmission. (W) 704-495-3406

January 22nd (Pro-Touring.com; Bowler transmission thread)
Legend LGT-700 and Tremec 5&6 speeds Now Available.
After many PMs to both Mark and I, We have made the decision to offer the Legend LGT-700 Available NOW retail on the stand alone transmission will be $3495.00 plus S&H and we do offer complete kits as well... expected delivery time from time of order is 8-10 weeks. feel free to PM, email or call us with any questions. This decision was made from shown interest, our belief in the company, and industry feed back thus far.
Jon
Ph: (618) 943-4856
Fx: (618) 943-3690
Jon@bowlertransmissions.com
Bowler Performance

Last edited by Viking427; 03-03-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 AM
5-Speeds
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Viking427
I saw LG&T added Bowler to their distributor list, but I don't even see the LGT-700 mentioned on Bowlers site (or your 5speeds site for that matter Paul).
The deal literally happened last week. 5speeds.com will be upgrading the website to reflect sales and service of the LGT700. I'm really impressed with their facility and attention to detail. I've seen the new offset shifters and they are very well thought out. the http://www.transmissionbook.com (facebook page) will be used as a support portal.

Last edited by 5-Speeds; 03-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A Question About Keisler TKO Vs Rs Tranny

Quick Reply: A Question About Keisler TKO Vs Rs Tranny