C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

carb. change / upgrade for 327 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM
frankgv
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default carb. change / upgrade for 327 ??

Hi again, well I think I'll stay away from a 383 stroker ( for now,lol)

I have. my 327 with high flowing AFR180 allum. heads, a mild comp. cam and yes an ededlbrock rpm intake with a holley 670 street avenger carb.( it just fits ) and hooker header performance side exhaust coupled to a Keisler 5 speed trans with a low 3.38 first gear and a 0.67 overdrive 5th. I think I'll just drive it and be happy, :-) and forget about a 383 stroker.

Do you think I can use a carb. upgrade to improve performance , not fuel consumption,lol (and not because of the following problem, but a solution to it would help ) My Holley 670 street avenger is ok,but somtimes it floods when sitting for about an hour or less after getting warm. have changed needle, checked floats, power valve ,put a plate under the carb for MANIFOLD HEat deflection, have electric fuel pump ( run with ign. on only) plus added regulater to 6 psi, etc. sometimes nothing happens but when it does you can smell the gas under the hood and need to open throttle and just crank it till it starts ?????
Any thoughts ? Thanks, Frank.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My initial thought would be junk the Holley and go for a slightly smaller Quick Fuel HR carb.
I'm not sure if you would consider going down in size an upgrade, but that is how things played out for me in the quest for improved drivability, good power etc.
My engine recieved a few mild enhancements similar to yours when I rebuilt it - Trick Flo Heads, just under 10:1 with Hypereutectic flat top pistons, balanced rotating assembly & all Comp Cams gear - Nostalgia + cam and also using all their valve train (with Magnum XD Roller Rocker Arms &beehive springs). Ignition is MSD Streetfire and exhaust is blockhugger headers into sidepipes.
I never felt the engine ran anywhere near it's potential, not just powerwise but general driveability.
After talking at length, on and off, to a local tuning guy I know, I took the plunge and removed the 670 SA Holley and replaced with 590 HR Quick Fuel.
After a session on his rolling road dyno the difference is night and day - the car is very pleasant to drive and after dialing in jets has also gained over 20hp at the rev limiters 6000 rpm - and power was still climbing at that point. 320hp at rear wheels.
Drivability, esp at lower speeds, is hugely improved. Unless you have got a screamer of an engine 600 cfm appears to be the sweet spot for the 327 even with some enhancements.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I don't usually comment on aftermarket stuff but I'd say this about your question. You carburetor possibly being bigger than required doesn't have anything to do with your "flooding" problem. I'd fix that before I'd spend the money to change carburetors.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Try an EFI system. There are a bunch out there. Turn the key the car starts hot or cold. Do a search for EFI feedback.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 PM
red65Michigan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the recommendation of a friend who runs a rail drag car and has Quick Fuel Technology as a sponsor I replaced my Holly with a QF HR. Unbelievable difference. Couldn't be happier. Glad I took his advice.

Get notified of new replies

To carb. change / upgrade for 327 ??

Quick Reply: carb. change / upgrade for 327 ??