C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 Radio and Clock Restorer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 59 Radio and Clock Restorer Recommendations

I just pulled out the original wonder bar radio and clock from my 59 and now want to send them out to be rebuilt. I talked with D&M Restoration in Greenville SC and CGR Restoration in Anderson SC today and both seemed very knowledgeable. I am not building an NCRS show car but want to stay as close to original as possible. Has anyone used either company before and if so what feedback can you give me? Other recommendations would be fine too.

Working under the dash of an old Corvette can only be described as a labor of love as I am sure most of you understand.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Peter Chase
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

The Clockworks did my clock. very good work & turnaround (715)479-5759. I have a spare 62 Wonderbar that was rebuilt by Jerry Rudbeck, but not sure if he does radios anymore. He did another for me that works perfect.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I am about to send off my gauges, tach and speedometer to be rebuilt and asked about having the clock redone. I have been told by more than one restorer, that unless you are doing an NCRS with the original guts, which won't last long anyway, to just go with a repro clock with a quartz movement. you will spend as much or more on the original clock than for a new one.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Wearing a watch, I never look at the clock in the car.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PBChase
I just pulled out the original wonder bar radio and clock from my 59 and now want to send them out to be rebuilt. I talked with D&M Restoration in Greenville SC and CGR Restoration in Anderson SC today and both seemed very knowledgeable. I am not building an NCRS show car but want to stay as close to original as possible. Has anyone used either company before and if so what feedback can you give me? Other recommendations would be fine too.

Working under the dash of an old Corvette can only be described as a labor of love as I am sure most of you understand.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Peter Chase
I had D&M in Greenville do my speedometers on both my '57 and '61. They did a great job and they came back looking like new. I dealt with Mike. The prices were not cheap but still reasonable.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 PM
jroutt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D&M did all my instruments including clock. They do beautiful work and on time. Not cheap but 1st rate.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
PBChase
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information everyone. I will be sending my clock and radio to D&M.

Peter
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
lqpappy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I removed my non-working clock and took apart. Surprised how clean it was inside. Filed the points, used a toothpick and light oil and oiled every cog and wheel. it is working fine. I did install an inline fuse. My car is 1960 and best I remember the clock was stamped Dec 59.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Had my Tach done by D&M, nice work but expensive plus their shipping is high. $23 to ship the tach from NC to Philly.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Corvette Specialties of MD West is located in Palm Desert and comes highly recommended. I was looking to buy a replacement for the clock in my '63 that was in terrible shape and hardly worth restoring in my opinion. Talked to these guys at Carlisle a few years back and they quickly pointed out I would have a hard time finding another clock for the '63 and it would probably also need restoring as we'll. They suggested I send them mine and they would judge if it could be restored. What they returned to me was nothing short of incredible based on what I sent them. It's hard to believe it is the same clock. I later sent them my windshield wiper motor to be restored and was likewise very pleased.
http://www.csofmdwest.com

I also sent my radio to Jerry Rudbeck of Electro Design and was very pleased with his work and constant communication throughout the process. Like my clock I was initially reluctant to even attempt to have it restored. Jerry convinced me it was worth a shot and I must admit I was skeptical if he would find it worthwhile. Jerry is a true craftsman and a real expert on these old radios.
http://www.electrodesign.us

The good news is that we seem to have a lot of good options when it comes to restoring some of our very difficult to replace parts.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 05-11-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Corvette Specialties of MD West is located in Palm Desert and comes highly recommended. I was looking to buy a replacement for the clock in my '63 that was in terrible shape and hardly worth restoring in my opinion. Talked to these guys at Carlisle a few years back and they quickly pointed out I would have a hard time finding another clock for the '63 and it would probably also need restoring as we'll. They suggested I send them mine and they would judge if it could be restored. What they returned to me was nothing short of incredible based on what I sent them. It's hard to believe it is the same clock. I later sent them my windshield wiper motor to be restored and was likewise very pleased.
http://www.csofmdwest.com

I also sent my radio to Jerry Rudbeck of Electro Design and was very pleased with his work and constant communication throughout the process. Like my clock I was initially reluctant to even attempt to have it restored. Jerry convinced me it was worth a shot and I must admit I was skeptical if he would find it worthwhile. Jerry is a true craftsman and a real expert on these old radios.
http://www.electrodesign.us

The good news is that we seem to have a lot of good options when it comes to restoring some of our very difficult to replace parts.

Good luck... GUSTO
Unfortunately, Jerry is scaling back (to enjoy retirement?) and has stated he is overwhelmed with work and if you want work done on your radio it might be 6 months God speed Jerry, we love your work and communication skills!
Regards,
Rick
Old 05-10-2014, 03:03 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

I had Jerry do my '61 which someone else had tried to repair. Timely, quality wok.

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Radio and Clock Restorer Recommendations

Quick Reply: 59 Radio and Clock Restorer Recommendations