C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 67 vette build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM
chevymonza
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot to mention, I am trying to learn the history of the car, and possibly try to find that trim tag. The previous owner was a dealership, whom I contacted and they do not know any history of the vehicle, and claim they bought it in the same condition I received it, with no trim tag. The only other clues I have on the history is pictures from after the fire and before it was cleaned up. I also have a copy of the title before I transferred it into my name which shows the previous title number out of Michigan. The pictures are out of Michigan and the engine is a 427 tri-power, If anyone knows anyone in Michigan who had a 67 tri-power that caught on fire with in the last year or two please let me know.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,940 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The car had factory AC from the pictures
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM
earl schieb
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymonza
thanks for all the support, im not in the market for a salvaged c2, the salvage car i plan on buying is a 4th gen camaro or firebird, or a C5 should be able to pick one up for around $500 and ill be using the ls1/t56, seats, seat belts and maybe a few other parts. Also this C2 is not a salvaged title, the title is clean despite the damage.
No disrespect, but did you mean LT1, not LS1? You ain't gonna find any LS F-body or C5 salvage for that kind of $$$ with the parts you need.
Again, no disrespect....I DO wish you luck with your build. I'm a cheap sob myself, so I can relate to 'budget builds'
Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by earl schieb
No disrespect, but did you mean LT1, not LS1? You ain't gonna find any LS F-body or C5 salvage for that kind of $$$ with the parts you need.
Again, no disrespect....I DO wish you luck with your build. I'm a cheap sob myself, so I can relate to 'budget builds'
Theyre everywhere going between $25 to $1200 at the auctions. Ive been monitoring the auctions for a few months now
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM
earl schieb
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Theyre everywhere going between $25 to $1200 at the auctions. Ive been monitoring the auctions for a few months now
Auctions, like...? Copart? I'm seriously intrigued...care to share?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by earl schieb
Auctions, like...? Copart? I'm seriously intrigued...care to share?
yep copart
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Good luck with the build, you might want to do a search on 1968pongto build.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I doubt you will find the trim tag, but you might find a replacement on ebay if you shop around long enough. I can"t imagine somebody bothering to take the Trim tag while leaving the VIN, but in your case, im glad they did.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65silververt
I doubt you will find the trim tag, but you might find a replacement on ebay if you shop around long enough. I can"t imagine somebody bothering to take the Trim tag while leaving the VIN, but in your case, im glad they did.
I'm thinking this was prob a rare option car, the tri-power was most likely original, the dealership who owned it last most likely parted out the expensive stuff like the engine and steering column and that trim tag, and the sell of the car itself was just a bonus.. and lying to me was prob easier than explaining that, but there's still that small chance of whoever owned it in michigan has the trim tag...like I said before, I'm not too woried about it, but it would be nice to have if I can track it down

Last edited by chevymonza; 02-17-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Trim tag wouldnt be worth too much...probably 800 bucks max. If it was actually a tri power car, they would have been much better off keeping the numbers matching block with the burnt chassis and VIN.
Doesn't really much matter now! All that matters currently is what you make of it! Hopefully the guy in NC has the fiberglass parts you are looking for and isnt asking a fortune for them!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkC
Call Dream Restorations in northeastern North Carolina. Greg probably has everything you need. Just google his business for his number.

BTW, JohnZ is your friend.
They might be closed down, I tried calling and they had a message saying they're closed today and 28th but doesn't say what month or year, and the email I sent them had a failed delivery
Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
BTW, JohnZ is your friend.
+1
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I talked to Greg in Fl at the NCRS event. His truck blew a transmission on the way down. He does not have a secretary and he is terrible at keeping his messages up to date. Just keep trying. Give it a few days and if you can't contact, let me know.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by sub006
+1
whos Johnz?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM
seventyls5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention, I am trying to learn the history of the car, and possibly try to find that trim tag. The previous owner was a dealership, whom I contacted and they do not know any history of the vehicle, and claim they bought it in the same condition I received it, with no trim tag. The only other clues I have on the history is pictures from after the fire and before it was cleaned up. I also have a copy of the title before I transferred it into my name which shows the previous title number out of Michigan. The pictures are out of Michigan and the engine is a 427 tri-power, If anyone knows anyone in Michigan who had a 67 tri-power that caught on fire with in the last year or two please let me know.
If this car was burned the trim tag being aluminum probably just melted in the fire.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by seventyls5
If this car was burned the trim tag being aluminum probably just melted in the fire.
that is defiantly a possibility, the rivets are still there, and appear to be untouched, although I thought the both the trim tag and vin tag were stainless steel
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

that is defiantly a possibility, the rivets are still there, and appear to be untouched, although I thought the both the trim tag and vin tag were stainless steel
Trim is aluminum, VIN tag is stainless.

John Z is the most knowledgeable person on this forum. He worked at GM and remembers every part and procedure used for building midyear Corvettes. You responded to him with an LOL in one of your initial posts.

Get notified of new replies

To My 67 vette build

Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Do you have any body parts to start with? Or are you looking for a new body? Looks like there's part of bird cage sitting on the frame now.

My 63 roadster burned down to the ground, I used new replacement body panels on the original birdcage and have the car almost done now. I'm not even close to 100K into it even with the brand new LS3/T56, new everything and I live in Europe so you can double all the catalog prices for me.

Keep us updated, I always like these funky projects.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM
chevymonza
Advanced

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Do you have any body parts to start with? Or are you looking for a new body? Looks like there's part of bird cage sitting on the frame now.

My 63 roadster burned down to the ground, I used new replacement body panels on the original birdcage and have the car almost done now. I'm not even close to 100K into it even with the brand new LS3/T56, new everything and I live in Europe so you can double all the catalog prices for me.

Keep us updated, I always like these funky projects.
Nope whats in the picture is what im working with, Im waiting a quote from Tony's Corvette shop in MD to repair the birdcage, its something I would like to do myself but not welder yet, and I dont think I would be that great at recreating pieces of metal, especially without knowing the original shape, so unfortunately have to pay someone for that fix, or buy a new one. The rest I plan on getting from the catalogs (minus the few pieces unavailable) unless I can find it somewhere cheaper.

How much did you spend for the LS3/T56? I think im going to spend a little more to go that route instead of an LS1.. I wanted to prove I could build this car for 25k, but I cant let me trying to prove something ruin the way I want to build my dream car.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Was it a coupe on convertible? Zip, paragon, and others sell the rear lock pillars, luggage stop extensions, luggage stops, and the upper windshield piece you are missing.

If your car was a coupe, well, they don't make the pieces you need yet. I spoke to caledonia the other day and they are in the process of making the tooling to reproduce the coupe roof sections, but they aren't ready yet. No new Birdcages are available.

Quick Reply: My 67 vette build