C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Garage Tip? Care to share yours?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Garage Tip? Care to share yours?

Hey Guys

A little trick I came up with got me thinking... and I thought I'd ask here, cause there is probably 1000s of years worth of Shop/Garage experience that checks in here on a monthly basis.

Do you guys have any tips, tricks or tools that you use in your garage that makes working on your C1/C2 easier?

IF so.... PLEASE share em.

Here is mine.

I don't know what to call this stuff except backer rod. Its a foam tube that is split up the side, and just about every hardware store has it.

Anyway, I have close quarters in my garage on the passenger side, and I am scared to death that I will bump the door by accident when working on the car. So, I cut a few pieces of the foam rod, and slip it over the edge of the door.

No worries!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM
65-396
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

Maybe not a tip -- but got me thinking just the same. I don't want my classics to wander off from the garage....and my house burglar alarm is not tied to the overhead garage doors either.

A simple zip tie to secure the shuttle pull down lever up against the frame it pivots off of is all it takes to prevent this. That's what I did -- see picture. You can drill a hole for the top part if needed - my opener shuttle already had one for the lever return spring...

You can easily cut the zip tie later on if you need to disconnect the door from the track.

This video is already on YouTube so I'm not teaching a car thief anything new....
And the guy in the video is strictly an amateur!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-14-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 575 Likes on 322 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks Frankie for the tip. I will fix mine today.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I drilled my garage door frame and put a circle motorcycle lock in it. Can only raise it about a foot. Gives me a little more piece of mind when I'm not at the pad. Plus thinking like a thief, that would be a deterant to get out of there..
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Hey Guys

A little trick I came up with got me thinking... and I thought I'd ask here, cause there is probably 1000s of years worth of Shop/Garage experience that checks in here on a monthly basis.

Do you guys have any tips, tricks or tools that you use in your garage that makes working on your C1/C2 easier?

Here is mine.

I don't know what to call this stuff except backer rod. Its a foam tube that is split up the side, and just about every hardware store has it.

Anyway, I have close quarters in my garage on the passenger side, and I am scared to death that I will bump the door by accident when working on the car. So, I cut a few pieces of the foam rod, and slip it over the edge of the door.

No worries!
I had the same idea and use pool noodles!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 456 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I keep lots of beer in the garage fridge. Does that count as a tip?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I had a center steel pole holding up the second floor bedroom that was dead center. I wrapped it in old carpet padding so the doors would not bump it when open. It also saved me when I was not thinking and ran into it. One other trick and I am not a hat wearer is to put one on when the car is on the lift. I don't know how many times I bump my head on the lift. It won't prevent a concussion but it may prevent some bleeding skull injury. Just a thin layer but sometimes that is enough to not rip open your head.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,480 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you don't have a lift for your Vette so you can stand under it, then you are on your knee's a lot . Get some quality knee pads with velcro straps. They make a major difference in comfort. If you use a wheel chock in the same place all the time, but move it as necessary, put a tape outline around it. You will always know the rightful place for it. Dennis
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 456 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The tennis ball trick so you do not hit the front of the garage if your garage is short.

The other tip is to add some type of epoxy on the floors. Nice to have for the winter time. Keeps the heat in better than regular cement sealer.

Also, safety first... Fire extinguisher mounted somewhere it is accessible.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Although this is about as messy as my garage gets, on my welding table I welded a Reese hitch receiver under the top, then I mounted my spare grinder on a receiver post, this allows me to put the grinder away when not in use keeping my table free from clutter :
Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Yep no clutter there
Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Revfan
Hey Guys

Here is mine.

No worries!
Foam pipe insulation. Comes in various sizes.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If you have a 2 post lift put tennis ***** on the bottom of 4 height adjuster screws.

Feels a lot better on the head then running into the screw...
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I tend to leave stuff all over my workbench, so I found a way to get around it in an emergency (like when I don't feel like cleaning up). I built a slide out table top.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Basic Safety:

Fire extinguisher appropriate to the risks.

Emergency eyewash station for when you pour acid into your eyes (but don't).

Convenient hearing and eye protection - easy to grasp is easy to use.

Minimize clutter.

Emphasize cleanliness.

No open flammable liquids.

No open vapor-producing chemicals.

No children around dangerous equipment.

Telephone handy.

Non-slip flooring.

Jack stands and wheel chocks.

No fume-producing events with any open flame gas appliances.

All electrical items to code.

It's all fun until someone e gets hurt.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Maybe not a tip -- but got me thinking just the same. I don't want my classics to wander off from the garage....and my house burglar alarm is not tied to the overhead garage doors either.

A simple zip tie to secure the shuttle pull down lever up against the frame it pivots off of is all it takes to prevent this. That's what I did -- see picture. You can drill a hole for the top part if needed - my opener shuttle already had one for the lever return spring...

You can easily cut the zip tie later on if you need to disconnect the door from the track.

This video is already on YouTube so I'm not teaching a car thief anything new....
And the guy in the video is strictly an amateur!
Frankie – thanks for the tip. I must be leading a sheltered life because I had never heard of that before. I just finished enlarging one of the holes and installing heavy-duty cable ties on my garage doors. I have motion detectors in the garage as part of my alarm system but an alarm system is only as good as the police response time.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Tip? Care to share yours?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,089 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

The orange "L" painted on the floor in the left of this picture is EXACTLY where I have to stop my left front tire when backing the '61 into the garage to be precisely underneath the hardtop hoist so I can lower/raise the top straight on/off the car. I can open the driver's door and see it enough to park the car just right for the top install/removal.

And don't start in on me about the cinder blocks...those silver stands are holding up ONLY the rear axle - the car is supported on those beefy blue jack stands farther forward on the frame...pic is during rear spring installation

I know - not much or a tip but it DOES work !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-14-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The orange "L" painted on the floor in the left of this picture is EXACTLY where I have to stop my left front tire when backing the '61 into the garage to be precisely underneath the hardtop hoist so I can lower/raise the top straight on/off the car. I can open the driver's door and see it enough to park the car just right for the top install/removal.
I bought a couple of these right after our house was built. We have Chamberlain door openers so they just connect to their opener motor (no additional wiring).

Park cars where you want them, adjust the lasers to the middle of the dash (or someplace else) and watch for position when driving into the garage. My better half has always had difficulty parking a car in the garage for some reason – now there’s no excuse.

http://www.chamberlain.com/garage-to...king-accessory
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I bolted a 2 x 4 into the concrete and use it as a front wheel stop. Works perfectly every time. Port and starboard alignment I use a tennis ball and a string.

Quick Reply: Garage Tip? Care to share yours?