C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with Steering Rag joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
DUGKOTA
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Help with Steering Rag joint replacement

I'm finally going to replace a torn rag joint on my 67 with non-tele steering. I have the bolts on the firewall side of the rag-joint removed, the clamp on the firewall loosened, the column unbolted from underneath and harness unhooked. The column/shaft wiggles around quite a bit but I can't get it back enough to remove the joint. What else am I missing? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

pry the rag joint open a little where the bolt is
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Do you have the escutcheon with the two black screws loose that holds the column to the bottom of the cluster?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
DUGKOTA
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Do you have the escutcheon with the two black screws loose that holds the column to the bottom of the cluster?
Yes, John I have that loose.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I left the column alone on my '66 and just removed the bolts from the steering box which made enough room to get mine free. This might be an option if the column won't give you enough movement.
My rag was COMPLETELY shot and the new one made an amazing improvement in the steering tightness! You'll love the change if yours is anywhere near as bad as mine.
Good luck with getting it done
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Shoot some PB Blaster into that joint a few times and let sit overnight and then try what Nowhere Man recommended. Pry that connector open a little, Its not easy to do, you need a big flat head screwdriver. Mine took quite a while to let loose but finally did.
Don
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default On this one, my cars have Borgeson joints!

Thus for safety and a more positive steering experience etc.. That is what I have always recommended! Throw the rag joints in the trash!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 PM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I left the column alone on my '66 and just removed the bolts from the steering box which made enough room to get mine free. This might be an option if the column won't give you enough movement.
My rag was COMPLETELY shot and the new one made an amazing improvement in the steering tightness! You'll love the change if yours is anywhere near as bad as mine.
Good luck with getting it done
I recently removed the rag coupler from my 66 and pretty much did it the same way. I did NOT remove the steering column either, but did loosen the steering shaft clamp and spring near the firewall which allowed me to gain about another inch or so by moving the column and shaft up. I also completely removed both pinch bolts from the coupler and one of the mounting bolts going through the frame, I then replaced the other two mounting bolts with a couple of 1/4" X 4" long carriage bolts with fender washers in order to give me maximum wiggle room which was needed. Important, assuming the centrality of your steering box and the steering wheel were correct to start with, then make sure you retain that position when you put the new rag joint back by marking and maintaining the gear box spline at 12:00 with the wheels and steering wheel good and straight.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
DUGKOTA
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

OK, got it out! Just didn't loosen the firewall clamp enough. Thanks to all!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Steering Rag joint replacement

Quick Reply: Help with Steering Rag joint replacement