C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Making 11:1 live with modern fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Musta had one hell of a converter on that vortec 383
Mph makes no sense to me but hey never know right

Ditto on manifolds with a good performance head working on the rams horn is a waste of time been there done that. Just get headers enjoy the motor who cares what some car show snob thinks.

A 383 witha 6 in rod has the same rod/stroke ratio as a 350 mine will touch 7k no problem and revs just fine'thats just tuning. Like you are wanting, built mine to run more upstairs and NOT make so much low end torque. Its a kick in the azz (and very controllable) let me tell you. Drag radials are a blessing or learn to modulate that right foot

The lever action of the 383 may be a little harder but who cares a half decent rod isnt much.

Back on topic....oops!

Last edited by cv67; 02-19-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default You have alot of the good guys in on recommendations! I am not!

I am a polarizing type person!

But hogging out ram horns, they will crack eventually and die!!!! You need to leave the meat on them as designed and you will never get out of the 300 range with them.

Well, I forgot what else I was going to say. That has never happened while typing on the computer, just in real life!

Ok I remember, I am just not a fan of 383 built in the conventional way with cast parts, unforged parts, and non-high quality rods. The Rod angle is a little much for RPM's is my slam!!!!! But if you work in longer rods and stronger components, then the 383 can be a beautiful high rpm singing engine!!!!!

Darn, now I forgot what else I was going to say!!!!!! I will probably have to PS later!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-19-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A while back I installed a GM Ramjet 350 in a 62 Corvette and it ran great.
I ued ram horn 2 1/2" headers, round mufflers ,etc.
Ran it on a chassis dyno and the dyno guy told me I could gain 30 to 40 HP with headers.
So...
Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a guy on here a while ago that was makin' big power with ported rams horns... Hope he chimes in - it was interesting ...
Old 02-19-2014, 02:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Like to see it.
Few yrs ago I did a set for a member here and went as far as I possibly could with them from stem to stern
327 voodoo cam replaced the solid Wesmigletz tuned it to perfection.
Owner who I believe is an honest guy said he felt zip in the butt o meter dept so if there was any measureable gain imo not worth the money he spent. Dont know if headwork could have helped or not perhaps that was/wasnt the bottleneck
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Do a search on 632C2. Steve Barker has done some incredible work with iron manifolds on his 383" C-2 and later the 542" engine he dropped in same car. Both had tons of work to make them appear "stock". The small block made 400+ RWHP and ran 11's. The BBC made over 700 RWHP...through manifolds!

JIM
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I don't usually get mired down in these Ricky Racer threads but my take is, if you're going to use the bug cubes (383/400) and stick with the stock intake/exhaust manifolds/mufflers/carburetor, the best thing you can do to get the most bang for the buck is to slip in a mild cam in that engine and go with factory cast iron heads and forget about a high winding big cube engine with the aforementioned OEM components.

I have done several big cube engines with stock heads, LT1 intake, 780 Holley, rams horn exhaust, and L 79 cam and none of them would crank or even want to crank over 6K but they pulled like a freight train.

All I'm saying is, if you are building a big cube SBC and you want high rpm, forget the OEM intake, exhaust, heads, etc. Keep the rpm down and the factory stuff still works.

BWTFDIK?

Last edited by MikeM; 02-19-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
joebobbilly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I am a polarizing type person!

The Rod angle is a little much for RPM's is my slam!!!!!
Much for RPM's ?

Is 6,500 too much for a 1.50 rod ratio? A 383 w/a 5.7 rod is 1.52, better than 1.5.

Here's a 1.50 rod ratio:

Low 8's all steel except for hood and decklid. All real glass, bumpers, horn, blinkers, tail lights, head light, high/low beam the whole nine yards.

And that's foot braking/hand shifting and not even pulling a tire.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default It can do it! It can get there, but for how long???

Originally Posted by joebobbilly
Much for RPM's ?

Is 6,500 too much for a 1.50 rod ratio? A 383 w/a 5.7 rod is 1.52, better than 1.5.

Here's a 1.50 rod ratio:

Low 8's all steel except for hood and decklid. All real glass, bumpers, horn, blinkers, tail lights, head light, high/low beam the whole nine yards.

And that's foot braking/hand shifting and not even pulling a tire.

I just """like""" a higher rod ration is my preference. Not saying that guys aren't doing it with shorter ratios (thus don't get a short complex, please!). And we aren't talking all of the magic race car combinations, but about the OP's street car! But Is your bottom end built??? You didn't say??? Do you have higher end rods?, upgraded rod bolt hardware? Forged Crankshaft???? Like I recommended with a 383, I bet you do! And that is a super cool and fast looking car!!!!! I like it! You have good tastes!

A lot of people slam that rod ratio!!!! Don't just burn me at the stake or tar and feather me only. Oh ya! For some reason, everyone from NASCAR to F1 and such seem to lengthen the rods!!!! There must be some intelligent life form in those series, that causes that to happen!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-19-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default The most creative way to hog out Ram Horns that I have seen!

Is that Extrude Hone process! I have mixed feelings about that stuff, but to some degree it makes sense. To take a pair of iron boat anchor weights and burn up grinding stones and such for a gain, OK are you honestly that darned bored!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus maybe this process, but I can't see how you can control the distribution on this process. I can see the material hitting an obstruction point or choke point and removing more here or there and less here or there! But maybe something like that would be cost effective if that was your path in life!

Headers Headers Headers! is so much easier!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Not bad advice! But come on over to the Dark side!!

Originally Posted by MikeM
I don't usually get mired down in these Ricky Racer threads but my take is, if you're going to use the bug cubes (383/400) and stick with the stock intake/exhaust manifolds/mufflers/carburetor, the best thing you can do to get the most bang for the buck is to slip in a mild cam in that engine and go with factory cast iron heads and forget about a high winding big cube engine with the aforementioned OEM components.

I have done several big cube engines with stock heads, LT1 intake, 780 Holley, rams horn exhaust, and L 79 cam and none of them would crank or even want to crank over 6K but they pulled like a freight train.

All I'm saying is, if you are building a big cube SBC and you want high rpm, forget the OEM intake, exhaust, heads, etc. Keep the rpm down and the factory stuff still works.

BWTFDIK?
Join us ricky racers! The force literally in HP is stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
joebobbilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
But Is your bottom end built??? You didn't say??? Do you have higher end rods?, upgraded rod bolt hardware? Forged Crankshaft???? Like I recommended with a 383, I bet you do! And that is a super cool and fast looking car!!!!! I like it! You have good tastes!

A lot of people slam that rod ratio!!!! Don't just burn me at the stake or tar and feather me only. Oh ya! For some reason, everyone from NASCAR to F1 and such seem to lengthen the rods!!!! There must be some intelligent life form in those series, that causes that to happen!!!!!!
I know a lot of people slam that rod ratio. I could always see them in my mirror. The vortec 383 I did for my friend, like I said and you can look back and find it, it was a 5.7 rod....a powdered metal rod...factory rod. One of those cheap cast steel cranks and for the guy that commented on the convertor, it was one of those cheap $200 9 inch deals, sorry to inform you.

Sure the nascar/F1 like a different ratio, but they are running 9-12K rpm. It's the flame travel that is important, not the rod ratio.

And fyi, the 1.5 ratio was with a 4130 eagle crank/rods, and stock block.

With today's aftermarket selections, making big power is easy....if you know what parts to slap together.

OP can do what he wants to do. He wanted real life experience opinions, and I gave one. I was running that fast 20 years ago on a budget. Nowadays, it takes much less talent to go fast if you have the wallet.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

A 383 witha 6 in rod has the same rod/stroke ratio as a 350 mine will touch 7k no problem and revs just fine'thats just tuning. Like you are wanting, built mine to run more upstairs and NOT make so much low end torque. Its a kick in the azz (and very controllable) let me tell you. Drag radials are a blessing or learn to modulate that right foot

The lever action of the 383 may be a little harder but who cares a half decent rod isnt much.

Back on topic....oops!
What is the combo that you are running?

Imstarting to look at headers now, as I dont want a mack truck vette...Id like to spin the thing a bit. And i can put them on the car now, while I am building the 383. I "could" do the same with the heads too I suppose...

Comparing McJacks long tubes to Hooker Supercomps, Stainlessworks and Dougs... McJacks has the best price point... which fit the AFR .25" raised port angle plug heads the best?....still unsure.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

billybob was referring to stall speed I didnt clarify

don probably not what most would want to drive
11.5:1
Some out of date Dart Conquest heads by Mamo they are exactly 230cc now
Isky solid roller 260/268@050 640 lift 108 lsa
Fully ported Team G with 1 in spacer
AED 850
What most would consider mismatched (its in an A body, 6 spd). Flat out rips

Where exactly do you want yours to come on and let up at?

With todays parts you could make even more power with a modern head and a smaller cam also.

Last edited by cv67; 02-19-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by DucatiDon

Imstarting to look at headers now, as I dont want a mack truck vette...Id like to spin the thing a bit. And i can put them on the car now, while I am building the 383. I "could" do the same with the heads too I suppose...

Comparing McJacks long tubes to Hooker Supercomps, Stainlessworks and Dougs... McJacks has the best price point... which fit the AFR .25" raised port angle plug heads the best?....still unsure.
I have Hooker SC's on the engine I am currently running on my test stand and they clear the RHS angle plug heads just fine. Raising the holes 1/4" might cause some issues with the #6 spark plug.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,282 Likes on 820 Posts

We built Cast, Hypereutectic and Forged pistons used in 383's in the early 90's, at first these were known to only last 40-60,000 miles before you saw block problems, mains cracked through the webbing, piston skirts cracked from the high side load when using the factory 400 5.65 rods. When the 5.7 rod pistons started being used in the mid 90's the blocks stopped failing and the piston skirts were fine, short life spans were eliminated and the 383 became an engine upgrade of choice.
The 6 inch rod versions allowed even more, ability to rev higher and less side loading of the pistons. A much better 383 for all purposes.
A good crankshaft is needed, the factory 400 crank had it's limitations as do many of the aftermarket cast cranks.
BTW the powdered metal rods mentioned in this thread tested to be stronger than the OEM 1970's Pink Rods. Those powdered metal rods held up really well once they got the bugs out of them. Some of the early attempts had rod failures but that was worked out and most OEM's use powdered metal rods today.
They save money vs forged rods. With any forged part you only get so many forgings and the dies need to be replaced, this makes all things forged more expensive.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I would hold off doing mounts for headers, until you have the engine in!

With the raised ports, there probably is just enough of a difference in them vice the 461's that I wouldn't mock them in yet, until you have the AFR's on the block and in the car. I can't make recommendations on those models, your config is different. On one car (my C2) I have old Vintage Hooker sidemounts with 1-7/8 and 4" collectors on STD Bowtie heads and on the other (my C3) I have old no longer available Hedman 65330's which are under the car 1-7/8 and 3-1/2 collector units also on the same vintage heads. I am sure the topic of best to pick has been covered on the forum in the past. I bought one set painted black to save a bunch of money, and prior to firing the engine, fitted them and did the special flange, and then took them off to send for Jet Coating.

But back to my project of trying to get a gun rack into the hardtop of my C2!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-19-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Making 11:1 live with modern fuel

Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good buddy who happens to be licensed class A mechanic, said I should try running regular 87 fuel in in my 66 327/300 hp/ p/g with a/m electronic ignition. I was quite surprised with his recomendation...so I tried it.
This was 2 years ago...never looked back...no pings, no bucking, no bucking, no snorting.
I do drive my car for about an hour just about everynight between May and into Nov. weather permiting. Does make a difference in the fuel bill.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

OK I've been convinced. Z28 intake and 1.75 long tubes. Now I need to decide on heads...195 or 220cc. And straight or angle plug....any suggestions on which will be best with headers?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 AM
joebobbilly
Instructor

OK I've been convinced. Z28 intake and 1.75 long tubes. Now I need to decide on heads...195 or 220cc. And straight or angle plug....any suggestions on which will be best with headers?
the Z28 intake has decided the heads for you....but you do what you want to do because there will be far less informed opinions that trump hands-on experience of 'ricky racers' such as myself

Quick Reply: Making 11:1 live with modern fuel