C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to Tell if SS Caliper Sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
JohnGibson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Tell if SS Caliper Sleeves

I had problems with my calipers leaking so I am rebuilding them. Currently have them apart and the pistons are out. How can I tell if they are SS sleeved? They don't look silver, but didn't know if they would change color with the fluid. Any pictures and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGibson
I had problems with my calipers leaking so I am rebuilding them. Currently have them apart and the pistons are out. How can I tell if they are SS sleeved? They don't look silver, but didn't know if they would change color with the fluid. Any pictures and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John
The sleeve is a very thin wall. You should be able to see a lip at the top of the piston bore. Also, if the bore is rusty or corroded or you can't wipe same out with a rag, you can bet that the calipers haven't been sleeved
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

If your caliper bores look like the photo below, with the cast-in piston guides in the bottom, and 1st-design pistons with guides, chances are they haven't been sleeved; the first thing the rebuilders do is to machine out the piston guides so they can use the 2nd-design pistons in everything.
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
JohnGibson
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If your caliper bores look like the photo below, with the cast-in piston guides in the bottom, and 1st-design pistons with guides, chances are they haven't been sleeved; the first thing the rebuilders do is to machine out the piston guides so they can use the 2nd-design pistons in everything.
Thank you, sir. This helps a lot. From the pictures, mine have been sleeved then since bottom has been machined out.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM
oengus
Advanced

Touch the bores with a small magnet. Most all stainless alloys are non-magnetic.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,046 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JohnGibson
Thank you, sir. This helps a lot. From the pictures, mine have been sleeved then since bottom has been machined out.
Just because there is nothing on the bottom of your bore doesn't make them sleeved , you may have 2nd design calipers.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Thomas66
Racer

Leaky brakes. fluid out, air in, was one of the most frustrating issues I had with my '65 in the late sixties. Each caliper received a honing and lip seals as required. Could there be a set of original calipers today that haven't been sleeved?

Get notified of new replies

To How to Tell if SS Caliper Sleeves

Quick Reply: How to Tell if SS Caliper Sleeves