C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Knock Off differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 AM
V1Rotate
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 64 Knock Off differences

Hey Gang,

I'm planning on getting some KOs for my 64 sometime this summer and have a quick question. I've browsed through the threads on KOs in the FAQ pages, and can't seem to find the answer. Or if I did, I was just overloaded with info and my feeble brain just didn't absorb it.

I realize they were different for 63-64 and the rest of the C2 years in regards to finishes and center caps/spinners. But is the only difference being the finish between the spokes on the actual wheels themselves? I've looked closely at pictures and they all appear relatively the same (casting wise).

MY 64 is an unrestored original, so instead of going for a set of new KOs, I'd try and find a set of used 64s (preferably the bolt on style) that has a little patina on them to match the rest of the car.

Thanks!

Cheers
Attached Images  

Last edited by V1Rotate; 02-11-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The wheels are physically the same
Old 02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by V1Rotate
But is the only difference being the finish between the spokes on the actual wheels themselves?
Yup!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,050 Likes on 578 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The old repro wheels where the wrong thickness in the fin part of the wheel, the new repro is the same as original.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
miles and miles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
The old repro wheels where the wrong thickness in the fin part of the wheel, the new repro is the same as original.
Actually the oldest repro wheels from the 70s were the same as the originals.As they used the same tooling as the originals.The changes came when the suppliers went off shore for production and new tooling was used.The fins as well as other little nuances on the wheels changed through out the years as well as the quality took a dip.Many wheels were found to have the individual fins not run completely from end to end.The newest wheels being manufactured by the two biggest producers today are very close to originals right down to the correct size of the fins,the color between the fins and the correct shape and size of the outer lip.I bought my first set of repops in 1974 and a set in each decade since.A classic look on a midyear
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How close are the Western Wheels to the KH?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HHZ06
How close are the Western Wheels to the KH?
In the era when Western Wheel made the reproduction KO wheels, Western was the wholly-owned Retail subsidiary of Kelsey-Hayes; except for the lack of the K-H casting logo on the back side, they were pretty close.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 AM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnZ
In the era when Western Wheel made the reproduction KO wheels, Western was the wholly-owned Retail subsidiary of Kelsey-Hayes; except for the lack of the K-H casting logo on the back side, they were pretty close.
Thanks John. When did Western Wheel start making the Knockoffs? How can one tell the year?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HHZ06
Thanks John. When did Western Wheel start making the Knockoffs? How can one tell the year?
I dunno - have never worked with the reproduction wheels.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,050 Likes on 578 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The early ones they made with the safety pins are the wrong fins they are to wide, as noted the very early wheels 72-73 where closer to original and the latest wheels made by America's finest are not bad. I will post a close up picture of each when I go down to my garage
I dunno - have never worked with the reproduction wheels.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I have knock offs on my car and there is one thing i might regret and that is that i should have bought the later 1965-66 knock off wheels that are painted between the fins

I think the 1965-66 knock off wheels looks better, but they are nor correct for my 1964

If you buy knock offs that is attached with the center spinner the tool on the picture to the right is a working great and do not make any marks on the spinners

1963-64 to the left and 1965-66 to the right
Attached Images    

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-15-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The early ones they made with the safety pins are the wrong fins they are to wide, as noted the very early wheels 72-73 where closer to original and the latest wheels made by America's finest are not bad. I will post a close up picture of each when I go down to my garage
I need a clarification on what is wider. Is it the machined portion of the fin or is it the width of the fin below the machined surface?

I started hearing about the wide fins maybe 7-8 years ago. Maybe about the time I heard CA sent the product to China. I saw a picture of those wheels. The spokes did look fatter but if they were fatter, it seems there would have to be a reduced fin count on each wheel.

I have two sets of repop ko's. I don't know how old they are but both sets have safety pin slots. I used a digital caliper to measure both the fin width on the machined surface and below the surface and noted no difference in dimension between my wheels and known originals.

Just curious.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
I need a clarification on what is wider. Is it the machined portion of the fin or is it the width of the fin below the machined surface?

I started hearing about the wide fins maybe 7-8 years ago. Maybe about the time I heard CA sent the product to China. I saw a picture of those wheels. The spokes did look fatter but if they were fatter, it seems there would have to be a reduced fin count on each wheel.
Took the photo below at Jerry's shop in 2005 - the wheel on the car is an original N89, and the other one is one of the first CA reproductions made after they sent their repro tooling to China, with the "fat fins". CA caught a crapload of trouble over it, and it took two years to make new tooling (which makes very nice wheels).
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Took the photo below at Jerry's shop in 2005 - the wheel on the car is an original N89, and the other one is one of the first CA reproductions made after they sent their repro tooling to China, with the "fat fins". CA caught a crapload of trouble over it, and it took two years to make new tooling (which makes very nice wheels).
I think it was at Jerry's that you first told this story to me and I saw the difference. The only thing I'm saying here is, the earlier repop wheels like I have are not made like the Chinese wheels.

I'm thinking it was the first edition CA wheels made in China with the fat fins. Correct?

Last edited by MikeM; 02-15-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think it was at Jerry's that you first told this story to me and I saw the difference. The only thing I'm saying here is, the earlier repop wheels like I have are not made like the Chinese wheels.

I'm thinking it was the first edition CA wheels made in China with the fat fins. Correct?
CA had been making a pretty nice reproduction wheel here in the U.S. before they moved the job to China; the Chinese messed with the aluminum mold tooling and with the machining processes, and the Chinese set that showed up at Jerry's hadn't even been seen yet by the CA folks (which tells you about their follow-up/quality assurance activity at the time).

When I called CA from Jerry's after that set of "fat-fin" wheels showed up, their Manufacturing VP said they hadn't made any yet and hadn't submitted samples for quality approval - I told him to go check their retail outlets, as the system was full of the junk "fat-fin" wheels. He beat a hasty exit, and called me a week later with the whole sorry story.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I have knock offs on my car and there is one thing i might regret and that is that i should have bought the later 1965-66 knock off wheels that are painted between the fins

I think the 1965-66 knock off wheels looks better, but they are nor correct for my 1964

If you buy knock offs that is attached with the center spinner the tool on the picture to the right is a working great and do not make any marks on the spinners

1963-64 to the left and 1965-66 to the right
Hey Saint, that's a nice tool, but at almost $500.00 US, that's very pricey..., and that doesn't even include the 19% shipping fees.....and since it's mostly for cosmetic reasons, at those prices I can buy a new set of spinners.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

CA had been making a pretty nice reproduction wheel here in the U.S. before they moved the job to China; the Chinese messed with the aluminum mold tooling and with the machining processes, and the Chinese set that showed up at Jerry's hadn't even been seen yet by the CA folks (which tells you about their follow-up/quality assurance activity at the time).

When I called CA from Jerry's after that set of "fat-fin" wheels showed up, their Manufacturing VP said they hadn't made any yet and hadn't submitted samples for quality approval - I told him to go check their retail outlets, as the system was full of the junk "fat-fin" wheels. He beat a hasty exit, and called me a week later with the whole sorry story.
That is the story as I remember it.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Knock Off differences

Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 385 Posts

The earliest ones did not have the pins and they were not wider than originals.As others have posted here later on the fins got fatter.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

John,
Sometime back on a different subject you posted a video of a Chinese stamping plant where the workers (about 4 of them) were sitting inside the unit and they would place and remove the product in between the press coming down and then retracting. By chance do you recall that video and do you still have it? I think the thread subject matter was a safety issue and OSHUA standards.
Rick
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ricks327
John,
Sometime back on a different subject you posted a video of a Chinese stamping plant where the workers (about 4 of them) were sitting inside the unit and they would place and remove the product in between the press coming down and then retracting. By chance do you recall that video and do you still have it? I think the thread subject matter was a safety issue and OSHUA standards.
Rick
I think you mean this one

Quick Reply: 64 Knock Off differences