C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

my sig changed.........a sad day in my life.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Ernie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my sig changed.........a sad day in my life.

On Saturday July 6th, we, (Eileen & I) had to put our German Shepard, Greta down. She was our best friend in the world. What a great dog, only 10 years old with a lot of life left, but her ability to walk was going fast. She devoloped a "bad back" about a year ago. On Friday AM she had some new problems, and we knew it was time. She will be missed by a lot of friends and relatives.
Not that anyone would notice the change, but I felt I owed it to her.
She was a true Corvette fan, and knew the "sound" when we were nearing home, always there to greet us. I will truly miss her. :sad: :sad:
Old 07-13-2002, 10:30 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: my sig changed.........a sad day in my life. (Ernie)

Ernie, I lost a dog some years back and have some idea of how you feel.

Sorry to hear the bad news. :( :blueangel:
Old 07-13-2002, 10:47 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Really sorry to hear that, and I do know how you feel. August 12th will be the one-year date of our loosing the greatest pet companion we could ever hope to have, totally unexpectedly. Not a day passes that there isn't some rememberance of him.

But time marches on and it is the great healer like they say, it just doesn't seem that way at first.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:29 PM
CO_Sledgehammer
Racer

Ernie,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Us dog lovers know that this is like losing a member of the family. Peace be with you.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:03 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that Ernie. I've had and loved several dogs myself and I know how hard it is to say goodbye when their time is done. Each time I've thought that would be the last one but another has always come along to steal my heart again.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry for your loss. :sad:
Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 AM
sixtyseven427
Instructor

My wife and I had to put our 8yr old English bulldog to sleep last year because of a heart tumor. It was a horrible day. I know how you feel and good luck getting through it.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:38 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very very sad.

One year ago this month (27th) we had to fo the same thing. Our guy was around 15 and had a brain tumor. We adopted him from a shelter when he was around 11 years old. He had been found wandering around, very thin and sick. The shelter was not even showing him for adoption. They said he was too old. They were holding him in a back room sort of area for the legally required 30 days and then they were gonna off him. He had about 3 days left when we heard about him. I named him Dodger as in "Dodging the bullet". We gave him 4 years that we know were very happy for him. He gave us memories that will be with us forever.

My favorite memory of him. He liked our neighbors dog and our neighbor, She fussed over him alot. One day he disappeard from our yard. We sighted him walking downd the sidewalk, around the neighboring cul-de-sac toward our friends house. Quickly we called our neighbor to announce what was going on. Everyone watched from both of the houses. He went around the cul-de-sac on the sidewalk and walked right to our neighbors back yard via the driveway. He had a biscuit, visited with our neighbor and her dog (his "Girlfriend" )for about an hour. Then he got up and headed off again. Our neighbor called to say he was leaving. Again we watched from both houses to be sure what he was up to. Sure enough down the neighbors drive, quick left turn arund the cul-de-sac and straight home to our deck. It just made us all smile. Never forget it. . When you are ready. consider adoption of an older (middle age) dog. We have had two and they are just wonderful. It is like they know what you did for them.

I hope you have memories like the one I shared above. Sorry to hear of your loss.

[Modified by TheOman, 8:41 AM 7/14/2002]
Old 07-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

My sympathies on your loss. The wife and I have three dogs, our kids, and I can't even contemplate having to make that decision.

Steve
Old 07-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It is a sad moment, they give so much and ask for so little! The animal shelter might have a perfect new friend, hope this works out!
Old 07-14-2002, 09:34 PM
HoCoDave
Instructor

Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. About a quarter century ago I "adopted" my first dog and I remember it like it was yesterday. Oh how we cried when we had to put her down. They give such unconditional love and cheer you up no matter how bad your day has been. Our current mutt was "free to good home", but she's priceless to us!

________
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Sorry for your loss. Maybe in memory, you should return to the shelter and offer your love to another older dog. I'm sure that it was the best 4 years that he spent with you. It may be to soon to consider now but sometimes it's best to get back on the bike as soon as you fall off. I'm sure you will find another smiling face wagging his tail hopeing to find a home...

Old 07-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: my sig changed.........a sad day in my life. (Viet Nam Vett)

We lost our cocker, Alf, this spring after 15 1/2 years so I can relate to your loss. Although time does soften the loss, I don't think you'll ever forget your friend. I still recall the beagle, Rusty, I had as a kid on the farm 40 years ago. I like to think that Rusty and Alf are chasing rabbits together somewhere.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:26 AM
JPatrick
Racer

Sorry to hear about Greta. I've been through this before and it certainly is one of life's toughest chapters. Like myself and others on this board I hope you will one day bring another dog into your lives. Of course all our old buddies are waiting at Rainbow Bridge.
The Story of Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Old 07-15-2002, 01:20 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ernie sorry to hear of your loss :sad: I know the day is comming for my 14 year old companion. She barely even wants to get up to go out by mid-day. She has been with us 10 years longer than we have had kids. I hope to look at it this way when she goes or we have to put here down. She has lived a long time and we always took her everywhere. We have many happy memories and the end will come, so I hope it will be like closing the cover on a good book.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:42 PM
clearrun
Racer

Ernie,
My deepest sympathy. I have lost four over the years and we have four in our house now. One of them is eleven. One thing you will never lose is the memories. I think this piece is a fitting tribute to our best friends:

IF......................
If you can start the day without caffiene or pep pills,
If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when loved ones are to busy to give you time,
If you can overlook when people take things out on you when through no
fault of yours, something goes wrong,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can face the world without lies and deceit,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,
If you can do all these things

THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY THE FAMILY DOG
Author Unknown

Get notified of new replies

To my sig changed.........a sad day in my life.

Quick Reply: my sig changed.........a sad day in my life.