C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 vet windshield installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Rando1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 vet windshield installation

can I mount the lower windshield channel with the studs first onto the car then the windshield assembly to the channel,or do I assemble the whole unit.......what is easiest way to mount windshield back on the car? is there a process?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Rando1
can I mount the lower windshield channel with the studs first onto the car then the windshield assembly to the channel,or do I assemble the whole unit.......what is easiest way to mount windshield back on the car? is there a process?
The best way that I have found is to call a windshield installation company. That way if it breaks while it is being installed (which they do now and then) they get to pay for the new windshield and to re-install it. It is not that much, let the pro's do it. you would not want a Dentist to treat you for a heart attack would you?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You want the whole frame ready-to-go and together before mounting:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...62csg0104.html

I know of no windshield company (not around me anyway) that will touch a C1. It ain't one of their usual "glue and pop-it-in" jobs and the opportunity fink something up is monumental...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You want the whole frame ready-to-go and together before mounting:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...62csg0104.html

I know of no windshield company (not around me anyway) that will touch a C1. It ain't one of their usual "glue and pop-it-in" jobs and the opportunity fink something up is monumental...
Frank is probably right unless you have an "old-time" shop nearby. The attached document by Rich5962 will pretty well lay out what all's involved.

DZ
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 566 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Rando1
You must assemble the lower trim to the channel after installing the T-bolts. There is no other way. As Dave said it's fully described in the document.

There is no modern "Auto Glass" shop, per se, that is knowledgeable or capable of replacing these that I know of.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 vet windshield installation

Quick Reply: 1960 vet windshield installation