C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-2 Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 AM
I NEED-A-SPLIT
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-2 Automatic Transmission

Hey Folks, This is my first question on the forum, So please bear with me, I hopefully will be Buying a C-2 series in the next few months( I've been saving for many years and last had a 67 coupe in 1971) and the biggest problem I have is, After 37 years with the Railroad my knees and ankles are trashed and I really need an automatic tranny, Again another problem is, about 95% of what I find that has most of what I want are 4 speeds, My question is this, How expensive is it to have a Powerglide automatic put in the place of the 4 speed?? Is there somebody on the West coast that do these often?? Thanks in advance everybody. Bill Montgomery (In Portland Oregon)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by I NEED-A-SPLIT
Hey Folks, This is my first question on the forum, So please bear with me, I hopefully will be Buying a C-2 series in the next few months( I've been saving for many years and last had a 67 coupe in 1971) and the biggest problem I have is, After 37 years with the Railroad my knees and ankles are trashed and I really need an automatic tranny, Again another problem is, about 95% of what I find that has most of what I want are 4 speeds, My question is this, How expensive is it to have a Powerglide automatic put in the place of the 4 speed?? Is there somebody on the West coast that do these often?? Thanks in advance everybody. Bill Montgomery (In Portland Oregon)
A 200-4R would be a better choice than a powerglide. It is a small cased non-electric overdrive .

There are many advantages to the overdrive concerning drivability...and the 2004R is very popular these days due to it's size and available component upgrades that can make them near bullet proof. (along with great gear ratios )

Check out this link http://www.cpttransmission.com/ Art is one of the first builders to realize the potential of the 2004R ...and can provide everything you need.

Just save all your 4-speed stuff for the next guy when you sell the car. They may never use it...but seems to be a good selling point "just in case"..lol.

Good luck...Stan
Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,050 Likes on 578 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Automatic transmission in a C-2 is not an easy thing, because the cross member does not come out you must take the engine mount bolts out and move the engine forward to get the trans in and out. I have done 2 of them and it would be costly to have it converted if the shop has ever worked on a C2 and they know the problem. I would look for an automatic car they are out there.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,470 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The crossmember can be modified so it will bolt in/out. It is not a show stopper. The 200R4 is a great choice for all the above reasons. Dennis
Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 AM
I NEED-A-SPLIT
Cruising

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
A 200-4R would be a better choice than a powerglide. It is a small cased non-electric overdrive .

There are many advantages to the overdrive concerning drivability...and the 2004R is very popular these days due to it's size and available component upgrades that can make them near bullet proof. (along with great gear ratios )

Check out this link http://www.cpttransmission.com/ Art is one of the first builders to realize the potential of the 2004R ...and can provide everything you need.

Just save all your 4-speed stuff for the next guy when you sell the car. They may never use it...but seems to be a good selling point "just in case"..lol.

Good luck...Stan
Thanks Stan, Local folks here in Portland are saying the same thing, It's a great transmission. Thanks again Bill
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM
I NEED-A-SPLIT
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
The crossmember can be modified so it will bolt in/out. It is not a show stopper. The 200R4 is a great choice for all the above reasons. Dennis
Thanks Dennis, It's good to know that there are options, Bill
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 AM
I NEED-A-SPLIT
Cruising

Default c-2 auto

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Automatic transmission in a C-2 is not an easy thing, because the cross member does not come out you must take the engine mount bolts out and move the engine forward to get the trans in and out. I have done 2 of them and it would be costly to have it converted if the shop has ever worked on a C2 and they know the problem. I would look for an automatic car they are out there.
Thank You, Bill
Old 02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
iluvhockey
Advanced

A TH350 - three speed with no overdirve would fit with no mods and used the same mount as the Muncie or powerglide. The biggest pain with the 200r4 is welding a new mount on the crossmember and connecting the speedometer cable as the shifter kit may interfere with the cable.

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 Automatic Transmission

Quick Reply: C-2 Automatic Transmission