C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Security system for a 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Default Security system for a 62

My normal thought has been, if I have to worry about my car, I loose some of the fun of having it. If I go to the mall, movie etc. I just park it as I would my new cars and don't think about it until I return, it may be harder to replace than my other vehicles but probably no more valuable. Now, we will be on the road 5 to 6 weeks this summer, and that's a lot of nights in hotels, sight seeing and parking the car in various unattended and unfamiliar places. All of this give me a little pause and I have started thinking about some type of security system that would at least stop the non professionals from getting my car.
Any thoughts on an approach or system for me to consider?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Do you have an electric fuel pump?

Doug
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Do you have an electric fuel pump?

Doug
I have a mechanical pump, car is mostly stock.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Wondertoad
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For many years, I have used an ignition shut off that consisted of a magnetic proximity switch that was inserted into the starter wiring. Magnetic proximity switches are commonly used for door security and the like. One part of the switch has to be close to the other to case the blades of the switch to actuate and complete the circuit.

The switch is placed in an inconspicuous place, behind a kick panel or under the dash or behind the radio console. It is wired into the lead going from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter. To start the car, one half of the switch is placed near the other and the car can then be started normally. Without the switch closed, the starter cannot be energized.

Be sure to match the capacity of the switch to the current in the solenoid wiring for safety.

I have also wired a simple on-off switch into the coil wiring that can be hidden away in the interior. With all the shielding in place on the car, it is really hard to find these changes too.

And I always disconnect the battery when I am away from the car.

Using these methods will slow down the casual thief but not someone that is prepared to do business with a rollback or tow rig.

BC
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Put a GPS tracker in it then you can find the b@$t@rds who stole it. That's the only way you have a chance of getting it back. If it was me I would install a tracker inside the gas tank area or behind the seats somewhere it makes it difficult to uninstall it. Then check it once awhile.

Otherwise a mean dog could work too!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

These cars are so ridiculously simple to hot wire,

I could have one started in under 10 seconds once the hood is open.

Hot wiring will bypass about any cutoff switch you install, even a blown fuse grounding circuit in the ignition wire.

If I was going to steal one of these, i would crawl under the car, put the trans linkages in neutral, push the car off someplace, pop the convertible top header latches by pounding on them thru the soft top, use a long stick to unlock the door, open the hood, and hot wire it. Or slim jim the door if a hardtop.

You may want to think about one of those long steering wheel bars to slow the process down considerably, as they would ahve to remove teh steering whhel, or bar somehow, to be able to turn the wheels.

The reason I asked about the electric pump, Is I used a 20 amp fuse inline with the pump wire, in a discrete, you accessible place,and then a ground wire thru a switch, that would blow the fuse if the switch was turned ON and any current was run thru teh fuel pump wire.

That would leave enough fuel in the carb to start the car,and let the car get maybe 100 yards, out into the middle of the street, where it would die,a nd no thief is going to try and figure out what is wrong, in the middle of the street. The idea with the fuse, is even if the switch is turned OFF after teh fuse is blown, you have to find and replace the fuse

I had to keep several spare fuses for when i forgot to turn the grounding switch to OFF prior to starting the car.

Doug
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

I was thinking about using a loud horn, like a diesel truck horn, not a little beep beep that no one pays any attention to and one that would wake me up. Thinking of switches on doors, hood latch and level switch in case someone wants to flatbed it. Power everything with a small cycle battery that won't be affected by my disconnect switch. Or some modification of that.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are cell phone and even LoJac jammers on the internet for $125.
And I can start a C1 with a jumper wire and screwdriver in 20 seconds.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM
La Rossa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had probably the best security system in one of my el caminos years ago, it was a cylinder with a barrel key in the front, on the back you would run the brake line through, when you parked it you would just press on the brake pedal and turn the key and that was it.
The wheels stayed locked until you pressed on the pedal again and unlocked the unit, I can't remember the name of it but it was always advertised on the back of the hot rod or street rodder magazines.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get one of these.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Here is my solution...

http://www.gadgetshack.com/powidral4mir.html

They've worked great so far and the best thing is you can use them with any vehicle you will be using on a trip, or when it has to sit out somewhere!
The transmitters are motion sensors so I put one inside the cars driver's floor area, so it'll trigger if someone opens the drivers door and reaches in or sits down. The other one, I put on top of a tire, or directly behind it, so it'll trigger if the car is rolled! They have a 4 mile clear obstruction range, so they will still reach to most hotel rooms through the walls - worked at all places we've stayed so far - I alwys test them to be sure! When the motion is sensed, the transmitter will alert your receiver and tell you which zone is alerting (you can put up to 4 or 5 transmitters for each receiver, so there are multiple names for each). These are designed to be put out for an early warning on a driveway or approach area, but work perfectly for something like this! Pretty cheap and you get an immediat notification of the possible theft!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

[QUOTE=oldsarge;1586069240]Get one of these.
.I'd have to leave the wife home... What the heck, besides the security I can see a number of additional advantages.

:
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=SonnyAK;1586069603]Here is my solution...

Now we're gettin' close ..
Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

[QUOTE=00fxd;1586070763]
Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Here is my solution...

Now we're gettin' close ..
They've worked well for me so far. I'd like to do something else to my '66 which might make it a little more theft proof too - threads like this are great so I can see what others have done! I really like the idea of the brake lock too - sounds like it works on the same principle as many aircraft parking brakes!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

For the brake lock just buy a Line Lock for drag racing and wire it with a switch instead of a button.
But check power draw, it might kill a battery as it is usually used for a short period of time.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Here is my solution...

They've worked great so far and the best thing is you can use them with any vehicle you will be using on a trip, or when it has to sit out somewhere!
The transmitters are motion sensors so I put one inside the cars driver's floor area, so it'll trigger if someone opens the drivers door and reaches in or sits down. The other one, I put on top of a tire, or directly behind it, so it'll trigger if the car is rolled! They have a 4 mile clear obstruction range, so they will still reach to most hotel rooms through the walls - worked at all places we've stayed so far - I alwys test them to be sure! When the motion is sensed, the transmitter will alert your receiver and tell you which zone is alerting (you can put up to 4 or 5 transmitters for each receiver, so there are multiple names for each). These are designed to be put out for an early warning on a driveway or approach area, but work perfectly for something like this! Pretty cheap and you get an immediat notification of the possible theft!
I use that, too. I like it for the reasons you mention plus it requires no drilling or wiring.

I opted for the small, 2" x 1-1/2" receiver instead of the long range receiver you have. The smaller receiver only has a 200 yard range but I decided on it because:

1. It's not likely I'd stray more than 200 yards from my car. I mostly use it when we go to a restaurant.

2. If I'm 4 miles away, there's no way I'm going to make it back to my car before it's gone.

3. I like the small size I can put on my keychain or put in my pocket. It buzzes and vibrates if the sensor/transmitter detects motion.

[Note: the white cap on the sensor/transmitter is the plastic lid from an RX bottle. Fits perfectly and keeps the sensor from picking up random motions and wearing down the battery when I'm driving around.]

-- Steve
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

install a wire to the negative side of the coil,run it thru a hidden switch under the carpet and ground the other side of the switch. close the switch for a anti theift device and open the switch to run the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Security system for a 62

Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The problem with solutions that involve disabling the ignition or fuel pump is that the car can still be winched up onto a rollback.

-- Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I'm thinking something like was listed above - a brake lock, but not an electric line lock, but something that is mechanical, kind of like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-BR...-/310718970299

With no electrics there would be no battery drain and no concern for keeping it energized.

Combined with a hidden ignition disabling device they would not easily start it, and if they were going to try to roll it, it would have to be winched with all four tires dragging.

Not perfect, but might deter all but the most determined.

As far as guns and dogs, although I like both, neither is practical for responding the the question.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by [IMG
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o572/oldsarge3/funny%20shit/windowslivewriterdontworryhewontbite-10bd7mean-dog-21_zps3578b716.jpg[/IMG]

With both of these, it would be hard to go wrong.

When I'm on the road, I make a pallet on one side and sleep in the trailer, with one of the above under the pillow.

Quick Reply: Security system for a 62