C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Security system for a 62

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
I'm thinking something like was listed above - a brake lock, but not an electric line lock, but something that is mechanical, kind of like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-BR...-/310718970299

With no electrics there would be no battery drain and no concern for keeping it energized.

Combined with a hidden ignition disabling device they would not easily start it, and if they were going to try to roll it, it would have to be winched with all four tires dragging.

Not perfect, but might deter all but the most determined.

As far as guns and dogs, although I like both, neither is practical for responding the the question.
I like the idea of the mechanical line lock but since it is usually installed on the master cylinder it would be difficult for one person to step on the brake and then push the button down.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

if your corvette is a std shift it limits the number of people who an drive it off. not to many joy riders these days can drive a stick
Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

This could be an inexpensive alarm solution.
It is a driveway alert system from Harbor Freight, $9.95 on sale.
We have one on our driveway and it works fine, infrared sensor and receiver range of 400 feet. It would need to be positioned so it doesn't go off when someone walks by the car which should not be a problem.
I think I will take it on the Power Tour this summer.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I like the idea of the mechanical line lock but since it is usually installed on the master cylinder it would be difficult for one person to step on the brake and then push the button down.
In addition to the problem you mention, that device unlocks when you step on the brake pedal, so that design, as manufactured would not provide security - perhaps it can me modified with an enclosing locking mechanism to prevent the valve step from popping up.

One way around the installation problem might be to run the brake lines from the master cylinder into the area under the dash - would take two for a '64 and later. Kind of gets complicated.

I suppose if you had a hard to defeat brake lock, your primary threat would be a thief with a flat bed and four rolling tire jacks.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I like the brake locks if they can be located in a hidden spot that is accessible from the drivers seat. I think the sensors that transmit a couple hundred yard or a couple miles are also great. I wonder if the sensors could be modified to send an alarm from door and hood switches if someone entered the car. Would also need a switch that would detect motion or the tilting of the car if it were being pulled onto a flat bed. I know having a transmitter sending several miles would not allow you to reach your car before it was gone, but it would allow you to call the police and report the location quickly. Gets a little complicated covering all bases.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

This could be an inexpensive alarm solution.
It is a driveway alert system from Harbor Freight, $9.95 on sale.
We have one on our driveway and it works fine, infrared sensor and receiver range of 400 feet. It would need to be positioned so it doesn't go off when someone walks by the car which should not be a problem.
I think I will take it on the Power Tour this summer.
i like that... it should take care of someone breaking into the car.

one thing i think will slow down a 'rollback' or 'tow truck' would be to back into the parking space and leave the transmission in park or reverse. the car would have to be skidded on the rear tires to move it.
Bill
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GEM '62
I like the brake locks if they can be located in a hidden spot that is accessible from the drivers seat. I think the sensors that transmit a couple hundred yard or a couple miles are also great. I wonder if the sensors could be modified to send an alarm from door and hood switches if someone entered the car. Would also need a switch that would detect motion or the tilting of the car if it were being pulled onto a flat bed. I know having a transmitter sending several miles would not allow you to reach your car before it was gone, but it would allow you to call the police and report the location quickly. Gets a little complicated covering all bases.
With that system, I wouldn't want to call the police until I laid eyes on the car to see what was going on. I place my sensor/transmitter on the floorboard behind the pedals. I have a convertible so if I left it parked with the top down, it would send an alert to me if someone simply leaned into the cockpit. That's something I'd want to check on but it's not a situation for law enforcement.

The beauty of this device is that it will alert you if someone gets into the drivers seat to hotwire it and drive it off and it will also alert you if someone reaches in to release the emergency brake and put the car in neutral to winch it onto a rollback. Basically, it will let you know whenever anyone messes with your car. If a thief spots it, he can't disable it. As soon as he reaches for it, you get an alert.

I only use 1 motion sensor/transmitter but the receiver can handle multiple sensors/transmitters. So, you could position one sensor on the drivers side floorboard and another one aimed at the passenger door. You could even put one under the hood to alert you if the hood was opened.

-- Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 04:43 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Bill,
I agree about parking and leaving car in gear, but I have also seen pictures of tow trucks that can load a car when parallel parked with only 6" between the adjacent cars.
I think taking the appropriate steps is a must but if some crook really wants your car he will get it one way or the other.
I guess that's what we have insurance for.
Bruce B
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
With both of these, it would be hard to go wrong.

When I'm on the road, I make a pallet on one side and sleep in the trailer, with one of the above under the pillow.
Oh sorry Tom. I just had to chuckle. I could picture you sleeping in the trailer, while they are driving off with your car and trailer and you are still in the trailer...
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If I go to the mall, movie etc.......
I would never do either in my classic Corvettes - that is just asking for them to be stolen or vandalized. I drive both of mine all the time but am cautious about it...
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
La Rossa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the one I was talking about, no electrical, no push button release, no key-no go unless you cut the brake lines.
I remember getting it off a advertised company on a street rod magazine if you're looking to go that route.
Cheers!
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

That's why I bought the second sensor for the system and leave it on one of the tires, or behind it (depending on what we're driving), so it'll sense the car being moved, even if no one ever enters the interior.
I like the looks of the little receiver for restaurants and such! I'll probably pick one of those up! I got the bigger unit since it's pretty tough to know where you're staying when on the road and we end up in some of the bigger hotels with LOTS of walls and concrete, so the range is pushed way down.
Lots of great ideas here, and a combination of many of them could definitely save a car from theft! We hit the road a lot in our cars, and while I'm not paranoid about them being stolen, I'm definitely going to do whatever I can to prevent it! (I keep a .45 handy too!) I'm not going to be a victim by choice!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=GEM '62;1586066302]My normal thought has been, if I have to worry about my car, I loose some of the fun of having it. If I go to the mall, movie etc. I just park it as I would my new cars and don't think about it until I return, it may be harder to replace than my other vehicles but probably no more valuable. QUOTE]

I don't know about other collector car insurance companies, but I'm pretty sure my National Corvette Museum insurance won't cover my car in those venues and insurance is the #1 security protection.

-- Steve
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=RatDog;1586079391]
My normal thought has been, if I have to worry about my car, I loose some of the fun of having it. If I go to the mall, movie etc. I just park it as I would my new cars and don't think about it until I return, it may be harder to replace than my other vehicles but probably no more valuable. QUOTE]

I don't know about other collector car insurance companies, but I'm pretty sure my National Corvette Museum insurance won't cover my car in those venues and insurance is the #1 security protection.

-- Steve
Steve,
How is the puppy?
She could be the guard dog for the car if it wasn't to hot down there.
Bruce B
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=ohiovet;1586079542]
Originally Posted by RatDog

Steve,
How is the puppy?
She could be the guard dog for the car if it wasn't to hot down there.
Bruce B
Hey, Bruce.

SinDee the Rat Terrier recently started puppy preschool and quickly advanced to Alpha dog status in a mixed breed group that includes, Boxers, German Shepherds, and other big dogs. But she's only 10 pounds so I don't think I can count on her to provide much in the way of auto protection <LOL>.

-- Steve
Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

I understand that some disagree with parking an old car in a lot and have issues with insurance coverage in such locations. My insurance does cover my car for all uses and locations, but, I just want to make it harder for some thief to steal my car. If I'm traveling or just out driving, I'm not going to miss out on the other interests in my life by standing guard over my car. I can't visit a National Park or a car show and see the sights and also keep the car in view. I have a security system at my house and hope it works, if someone breaks in, but I'm not staying home and standing guard just in case.
I like several of the suggestions mentioned and will try one or more of them and let you know how they work out for me.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand that some disagree with parking an old car in a lot and have issues with insurance coverage in such locations. My insurance does cover my car for all uses and locations, . . .

Do you have an agreed value policy? If so, I'd be interested in learning what company you use.

Take care,
-- Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Security system for a 62

Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default Insurance coverage & exceptions.

I understand that some disagree with parking an old car in a lot and have issues with insurance coverage in such locations. My insurance does cover my car for all uses and locations, but, I just want to make it harder for some thief to steal my car. If I'm traveling or just out driving, I'm not going to miss out on the other interests in my life by standing guard over my car. I can't visit a National Park or a car show and see the sights and also keep the car in view. I have a security system at my house and hope it works, if someone breaks in, but I'm not staying home and standing guard just in case.
I like several of the suggestions mentioned and will try one or more of them and let you know how they work out for me.

I agree with you 100%.

My classic car insurance is a agreed upon policy with State Farm,
on 4 classic cars.
I just spoke to my agent and my cars are covered at a ball game, restaurant, shopping center, race, etc.
NO EXCEPTIONS.
This includes theft, damage or whatever.
As Gem'62 mentioned my policy can also be suspended (keep garage insurance) and reinstated with a phone call to my agent.
So take the normal precautions, leave the car and don't worry about it.
Bruce B

Last edited by ohiovet; 02-03-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Originally Posted by RatDog
Do you have an agreed value policy? If so, I'd be interested in learning what company you use.

Take care,
-- Steve
Yes, with Nationwide. They will also suspend the collision and liability if the car is not going to be driven for some period, just a phone call.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with you 100%.

My classic car insurance is a agreed upon policy with State Farm,
on 4 classic cars.
I just spoke to my agent and my cars are covered at a ball game, restaurant, shopping center, race, etc.
NO EXCEPTIONS.
This includes theft, damage or whatever.
As Gem'62 mentioned my policy can also be suspended (keep garage insurance) and reinstated with a phone call to my agent.
So take the normal precautions, leave the car and don't worry about it.
Bruce B
Yes, with Nationwide. They will also suspend the collision and liability if the car is not going to be driven for some period, just a phone call.

I need to check with those companies. I don't drive my car very much at all but it seems like every time I want to go somewhere, it's to a place where my car won't be covered. It covers Corvette-related events and pleasure drives but not to the mall, to the gym, to the shopping center, grocery store, bank, or any other "errand" type destinations.

-- Steve

Quick Reply: Security system for a 62