C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ethanol free (E0) gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Ethanol free (E0) gas

Would the ethanol free gas being sold be "new gas" or is it left over "old gas" made before they started wide scale adding ethanol?
(I'm mostly referring to the 91 to 93 octanes and not the race gas or airplane fuel.)

I guess another way of putting it is whether ethanol free gas is still being made in the standard octanes.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM
henry63
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the ethanol is added when the tanker is loaded to bring the gas to your gas station. In other words, It is all pure gas until it is put in the tanker. Scott
Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is ethanol free pump at the BP about 12 miles from my home. They have a disclaimer that it is not a BP endorsed product. The octaine is 90 and it is about $1/gal more expensive.

Last edited by steveale; 01-26-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Non ethanol here in Minnesota is 92 octaine, I use it all the time, car, lawn mower, snow blower. Works great and doesn't break down.BILL.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishn
Would the ethanol free gas being sold be "new gas" or is it left over "old gas" made before they started wide scale adding ethanol?
(I'm mostly referring to the 91 to 93 octanes and not the race gas or airplane fuel.)

I guess another way of putting it is whether ethanol free gas is still being made in the standard octanes.

Thanks
Ethanol free gas is being made and refined daily at the refineries. The ethanol is added at/in the tank trunk prior to delivery. The ethanol typically adds about 2 octane points to the non-ethanol gas.

I can buy 93 octane ethanol free gas here in Louisiana just about every day…..but supply is somewhat restricted. Occasionally there are some refinery issues and the pumps are switched over to 91 octane ethanol free for a few weeks or so

This 91 ethanol free gas + the added ethanol is the 93 octane sold by many/most gas stations in the area.

Same criteria for the lower octane blends. There are many (too many) combinations.

Larry
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishn
Contrary to the beliefs of the doom and gloom club, E10 gas has been widely available for 30 years in much of the continent. The only thing 'new' is labels on the pumps telling you so.

I've been using it continuously since about 1996 and still don't understand the fuss.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for confirming the ethanol free gas is not left over old gas.

Since I had read here that the ethanol could affect some of the old seals and hoses, such as in the carburetor, then if ethanol free was available I would just as well use it instead.

For anyone else that may want ethanol free here's a collection for each state of E0 locations.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol free (E0) gas

Quick Reply: Ethanol free (E0) gas