C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Kissimmee thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope, unless you're keeping close tabs on your deductions in each segment and doing the math. Awards are announced and presented tonight at the Awards Banquet.
Well in that case.......I suppose at this stage, no news is good news for him.......Thank you John.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Just got back, had an awesome time, Mecum tomorrow. Some good items at the swap meet including a Centennial Edition interior in perfect condition, a couple of C6 fitment Z06/GS front fascias, and I would have loved to find a way to trade my B&B Oval tips for a beautifully polished set of B&B rounds tips for sale.

So glad to see the responses to the next generation topic. Glad to know that there are others interested in preserving the future of our addiction/hobby.

TNVetteguy please post a thread on that project please. You mentioned Trans Ams so I am going to post an unsolicited, gratuitous picture of my Firechicken...

Last edited by 360Rocket; 01-25-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
I agree about "passing the baton" to the next generation. Here's a shot of 2 of my grandsons exploring my '5 between rounds at the Pure Stocks. If you "open the door" to these old cars, the young generation will "walk in". Encouragement and a willingness to let them "touch", will give the hobby some yardage.

Jim
In God We Trust!

Reminds me of myself at that age..
Wow! It goes up to 160
Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
I agree about "passing the baton" to the next generation. Here's a shot of 2 of my grandsons exploring my '5 between rounds at the Pure Stocks. If you "open the door" to these old cars, the young generation will "walk in". Encouragement and a willingness to let them "touch", will give the hobby some yardage.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Good looking kids Jim - great to see them in that 65!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by donbayers
IMO

Were a bunch of really young guys buying them new or was it the same as now, older, more financially able folks buying them??
Speaking of my neighborhood, most of the new Corvette purchases I knew about were young, single guys with jobs anywhere from owning/running a gas station, factory workers or lower level office types.

From what I remember, almost all these guys got rid of the Corvette when they settled in with some female, but not all.

I would believe though that the owners I described spent a considerable portion of their income supporting the new Corvette. I know I couldn't even afford one or so I thought.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

I think I ended up a gear head because my dad was an old school drag racer, I think he started in the early 60 and ended up with an old slingshot.

But I think what most influenced me was the young guy down the street, I was about 14 or 15 and he got a real 289 AC Cobra and I would go down there and he would let me help him wash it and clean it up. He about drove the wheels off it and took me around the block plenty of time and let me shift.

After it was kind of ragged out my dad bought it and ran it at the strip, my first full pass was in that car.

I have been through plenty of cars since then as we all have. I used to do my best to keep those snotty nosed brats away form my cars, I always thought they would treat it like moms mini van. That was until I became a granddad with a little girl. She was riding in my cars as soon as I could strap her into the passenger seat, taught her how to shift by time was 3 or 4. She was on the back of my Harley by time she was 2.

When ever Miss E was down to visit I had her out in the shop putzing around with cars. When she was about 8 or 9 she helped me rebuild the 2x4s on my 60, I rebuilt one and she did the other at the same time. As luck would have it, after I told her that the car NEVER starts the first try after doing this, I poured some gas down the carbs, she it the key and it roared to life should have seen the look on her face.

She was my crew chief at the NCM HPDE last year at Sebring doing all the checks on my ZR1 every time I was in the pits, honest to god it was priceless.

She has developed a thing to show the cars and has won many awards at local shows. I always let her invite kids she meet there to sit in the car and she tells them all about them, she takes pictures with them in the cars.

I recently got a 2014 Viper GTS in racing yellow and black stripes that we took to a little Vets benefit show in town. To my surprise most of the kids knew what it was, I guess it is one of the cars in one of the driving games. We let them all sit in it, take pictures. The funny part was the parents were freaking out about the kids even standing close to it let alone sit in it. We had a great time and all the kids were very respectful and thanked us, it was very very cool.

So all you old farts (me included) if you want our passion to continue on, let the kids experience our cars. I have taken kids in my neighborhood on plenty of rides around the block and I just can't help remembering my rides with Clint and the AC.

Here is a couple shots of Miss E

She says she loves the 67 but the 60 is hers. man I'm looking forward to us taking it apart and making the way she wants it. She is going to get dirty, bloody, cry but when it's done it will be hers.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

We need more guys like MikeM and MikeWard here so that they can make sure to help the younger guys get into the hobby....
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Pictures from the NCRS event taken Sat.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...53555226856593
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default fakes

Great place here at old town. drove 1550mi down for some warmth Ha HA. To the initial posters comment, I found re-stamping, broaching, and a box at a booth with at least 25-30 trim tags for sale. Could someone really build a fake car that could fool NCRS? I guess if there is $ to be made it is possible to do most anything. In my opinion this deception together with modern technology would make it VERY hard for anyone except? to know a fake from the real deal especially considering there are far more 427 cars than were produced. Sad.
Anyone looking for the real deal better do their homework and take an expert. or just buy a quality non original(there are lots of them) for a reasonable price and have fun. At the end of the day numbers do not make a car more fun to drive, or give you more
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 396/425
Drove 1100 miles to Kissimmee . Checked out the NCRS gig. Ok. It was mainly to attend the auction but I had some thoughts. First the swap meet was ok. Not what I expected but I did get a few odds and ends. I've been out of NCRS for about 15 yrs and I got tot tell you from the looks of the crowd....they better get some young blood in there or it's gonna die out... Man everybody (including me) is getting old. I mean real old. No youngsters in sight. Sad. Car count was less than I remember too. One cat drove 4300 miles in his and was getting it judged... I wasn't sure if I should pat him on the back or book him on Dr Phil. Probably both. Impressive.

Hope they find a way to recruit the next group of younger folks. Or it's not going to end well for that niche of the hobby.

Also I found it ironic that there was a booth there that sold restamped engines. They looked right on the money too. Impressive but it seemed a little odd to see that there. I thought that was taboo?

I've owned my 65 for 13 years, and I'm 37 yrs old. I enjoy the forum but I did my last car show/organized event 10 years ago. After several events I found the "older generation" not at all open to even having a conversation. Stuck up, clicky, etc. Most local clubs are a "who's who" social scene. I have no time or interest in joining any corvette type club or organization. I would rather spend my time and money doing something fun, like taking my 2 year old daughter to the dairy queen in the vette!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Great place here at old town. drove 1550mi down for some warmth Ha HA. To the initial posters comment, I found re-stamping, broaching, and a box at a booth with at least 25-30 trim tags for sale. Could someone really build a fake car that could fool NCRS? I guess if there is $ to be made it is possible to do most anything. In my opinion this deception together with modern technology would make it VERY hard for anyone except? to know a fake from the real deal especially considering there are far more 427 cars than were produced. Sad.
Anyone looking for the real deal better do their homework and take an expert. or just buy a quality non original(there are lots of them) for a reasonable price and have fun. At the end of the day numbers do not make a car more fun to drive, or give you more
We had one car withdraw from judging to keep from being catagorized as a fake (Vin tag) and 2 disqualified due to trim tag issues. People need to do thier homework.

Tyler
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I drove the '63 SWC Thur, skipped Friday to work, and drove the '61 Sat. I was in the Corvette Only parking area Sat and for the first time in all the years I've shown the car I had some moron jump me about my non-original paint while I was talking to two forum friends and, with his arms spread wide said, "Why that color ?" with a scowl on his face. I said "Why not ?" and he told his pal, "That guy ruined his car ?". I told him to carry his @ss over to the judging field if he wanted to see perfection.

He got the message.

All-in-all, except for cooler weather than we all probably liked it was a pretty nice, laid back deal both days I was there. Bought a copy of Noland Adams, "C2 Restoration Guide" for a good price and some odds and ends but no big purchases.

As to the hobby eroding as the current crop of owners fade - it was pretty telling looking around at all the gray hair, bald spots, pot bellies (and I include myself). My plan is to sell one of my cars in about 3-5 years as I think prices will have peaked or be trending downward (one alternative might be to restomod one but my cars are so original)...and I REALLY hate to admit that but even the "younger" crowd at the meet were in the early-to-mid '50s I'd say.

Tyler and his crew deserve a huge deal of credit for pulling this thing together every year - I can't even imagine all the work and logistic nightmares.

Thanks to you and your team sir !!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-26-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 AM
blusteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike M I am sure you are referring to Danny Boone and the 62 fuelie he used to street race
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ghostrider20
I've owned my 65 for 13 years, and I'm 37 yrs old. I enjoy the forum but I did my last car show/organized event 10 years ago. After several events I found the "older generation" not at all open to even having a conversation. Stuck up, clicky, etc. Most local clubs are a "who's who" social scene. I have no time or interest in joining any corvette type club or organization. I would rather spend my time and money doing something fun, like taking my 2 year old daughter to the dairy queen in the vette!
For years and years I have tried to get this across to people in the GENERAL Corvette community------------------------including here and in the NCRS camps. These people (or YOU people) are just in absolute denial. No one in the Corvette community will own up to the fact that in general, they are a large group of primadonna snobs. And instead of trying to improve that image, the common response is that "Oh, all car clubs/groups have those kinds of people within each group". To an extent, that is very true-------------------BUT NOT AS MUCH AS IT IS IN THE OVERALL CORVETTE COMMUNITY!!!! Yes, there are people with superiority complexes in other car communities, but I've never encountered it as much as it is within Corvette folks. What is it about Corvette people that make them feel they are God's gift?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting topic.
I sold my 62 fuelie on EBay a few months ago. My ad was as honest as could be on what the car was and what it wasn't. Only negative messages I got were from 2 different NCRS judges, one telling me it was a "mutt of a car". My response was "so what, I am pricing it as a mut!".
Two young guys (30ish) wanted the car and I sold it to a young guy in Mexico, who was very excited and was a very smooth transaction.
Also sold my resto-mod 70 Chevelle to a young guy in September at a price in the same range as a numbers matching SS.

I still think there is significant interest in high quality drivers and resto-mod's from the younger crowd. Ton's of younger people at Mecum Indy every year.
Not to be down on the NCRS crowd, but my limited experience seems like (some of these experts) need to get a major attitude adjustment if they want to preserve that part of the hobby.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 396/425
...............I've been out of NCRS for about 15 yrs and I got tot tell you from the looks of the crowd....they better get some young blood in there or it's gonna die out... Man everybody (including me) is getting old. I mean real old. No youngsters in sight.................................

Hope they find a way to recruit the next group of younger folks. Or it's not going to end well for that niche of the hobby.
We went up there yesterday and here's a pic I took in the NCRS section of the show, which sorta confirms your observation. For the most part the folks in the pic (who I applaud for being there, BTW) are pretty typical of the overall crowd in that particular section.

Vendors in the swap meet are getting older as well, and in some unfortunate cases have even fallen by the wayside.

Regarding kids, I was standing in the swap meet talking with a buddy when I couldn't help but overhear an exchange between what appeared to be a grandmother and her young grandson. The rather loud granny said....Oh look, TOYS.....as she pointed to a display of model cars/trucks/etc in a nearby stall. Then she added.....but those aren't the kind of toys you like, are they?

Anyway, it is what it is and most folks seemed to be having a great time.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Kissimmee thoughts

Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TNVettGuy
Each year I have a goal...typically surrounding around cars. This year, I plan on starting up a free auto camp for teenagers. I am going to take either a 70's Trans am or Corvette and strip it down and rebuild in a few weeks this summer with a handful of kids.

I'll send more info when this happens. My kids are complete car nuts. My 8 year old has already replaced calipers, rotors and pads on my 68 Corvette and my 10 year old changes the oil in all of my cars. Could not ask for better kids!
Attachment 47761885

Attachment 47761886

Matt
I applaud your efforts about a free auto camp. I wish they had one where I lived growing up. But please be aware that we have become a society of irresponsible behavior in which people at fault blame other people. What I'm saying is, if something happens, better be sure you have good insurance. Or at the very least have the parents of these young kids sign waivers, then again, sometimes they don't hold up in court.

Also, that is great you are giving your kids experience with these older vehicles, but you don't give your son shoes while he's in the garage, but give him gloves to push a tire? Not trying to be too critical, but this is the reason for the above paragraph.

Again, great for you showing your kids how to work on these cars and I'll be doing the same for my boys, but please remember to instill safety at the same time.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Default w/DL comes responsibilty...No thank you I'd rather nap or ipod

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have friends with teenage kids who aren't even all that interested in getting their drivers' licenses.
Was reading somewhere that 1/3 fewer kids are getting their DL than in 1983.

Someone from Un of MI did a study on why:
Too busy
Able to get transport from others
(parents ).

Kids also said... car is a hassle, gots to feed it gas & maintain it.
(it's sort of like a relationship they want no part of)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 PM
remus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
For years and years I have tried to get this across to people in the GENERAL Corvette community------------------------including here and in the NCRS camps. These people (or YOU people) are just in absolute denial. No one in the Corvette community will own up to the fact that in general, they are a large group of primadonna snobs. And instead of trying to improve that image, the common response is that "Oh, all car clubs/groups have those kinds of people within each group". To an extent, that is very true-------------------BUT NOT AS MUCH AS IT IS IN THE OVERALL CORVETTE COMMUNITY!!!! Yes, there are people with superiority complexes in other car communities, but I've never encountered it as much as it is within Corvette folks. What is it about Corvette people that make them feel they are God's gift?
Well said, could not agree more!!

Quick Reply: NCRS Kissimmee thoughts