C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Roadster - Body Off Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Devil_Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 Roadster - Body Off Restoration

This is my first posting on the forum, so here goes!
As a young child growing up in a small rural town in NW Ohio (Wauseon), I had neighbor who owned the most incredible car, and I promised myself that I would work hard and someday own one of my own. That car, which left its indelible impression on my mind, was a C2 roadster with gleaming side pipes, and a rumble that you could feel coming down the street. And as the years passed by, while I was struggling through college (both with classes and the finances), I’d remind myself of my reward to come. Then upon graduation from college I did some soul searching and decided that service to my country needed to be more of a priority than the search for the highest paying occupation (and my car), so within a month of college graduation I found myself slogging through Marine Corps officer boot camp.
Now after 14 years in the Corps, and multiple deployments, I finally find myself senior enough to be able to start making my dream a reality. So during the latter half of 2013 I spent months searching the country for the right project car, and although the Marine Corps currently has me stationed in Northern Virginia, I ironically I found my car less than 100 miles from where I grew up. I purchased my 64 roadster on 13 Nov, and then spent 6 weeks attempting to absorb as much knowledge as I could from this forum and from restoration and assembly guides. Armed with the confidence I’ve gleaned from the experience of other forum member’s projects, and the hope for forum member support as I undergo my restoration (please!), I started what is by far my largest automotive project on 28 Dec 13. My desire is to do a complete frame off, and just over three weeks later I have the interior gutted, the body off, engine/transmission removed, and am prepping to dismantle the frame. As you'll probably be able to tell from the pics, the engine is not numbers matching (is actually a 350 from a 75) and the side-pipes are also obviously not original. Although it is not clear from the pics, the paint is rough (cracks, scratches, and chips) and as for the interior, well let's just say the early 80's can have it back!
Here's some pics of before I dug started to into it.
Attached Images      
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
AJC 69 BB
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the 64 club!!!!! Nice ride by the way. Good luck with the project
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Craftsman51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice project! I am well into a body off restoration with a car that has a similar history. I first saw my 67 Coupe when it was at a dealer located in SE Ohio in 1967. Unable to afford gas for my ride at the time owning it was out of the question. After graduating from college and just prior to starting 30 year career in the Army I bought the car. It spent the next 30 years either stored in Ohio when I was overseas or followed me from base to base. Now it is finally getting the restoration I never had time for until now. Enjoy the experience and thank you for your service.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Devil_Dog
Instructor

Default 21 Jan status

And here are some pics of where my project is today after 3 weeks of work. Although the attached pic doesn't show it, I have now added an additional rear section to the body dolly in order to support the rear of the body.
In the pic of the frame you will see an additional transmission cross member, this is to replace the badly damaged one currently on the frame.
Attached Images     
Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 PM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the best source of information on Corvettes. I did a frame off on my 64. I bought mine in 66 when I was in the army. 48 years later I still have it. My car is not quite stock, 5 speed, cruise, tilt, discs, power, stereo, air etc. I suggest you think about how you will use the car. I built mine to NCRS specs and found out I really didn't enjoy driving it. I then modified it to make it a nice cruiser. All the mods can be reversed. Keep posting on your build, we all enjoy watching builds come together.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Devil_Dog
Instructor

Default First question - suspension recommendations

Okay so the first question that I'd like to throw out for input is what is the best suspension set up to put on for a good tight feel without getting into crazy money? Based on a novice review it appears as though my current set up is pretty much stock with many components appearing to be original. I'd like my finished roadster to be tight, but I'd prefer to not get into the cost of rear coil-overs, etc unless necessary. Can you get a tight suspension out of a C2 by just replacing shocks, control arms, bushings, etc? And is it recommended to replace the rear leaf spring or can you just rebuild it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If nothing else, my 14 years as a Marine has given me thick skin, so don't worry about offending me if I am off target.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil_Dog
Okay so the first question that I'd like to throw out for input is what is the best suspension set up to put on for a good tight feel without getting into crazy money?
Just rebuild the existing with new OEM rubber bushings and wear parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) and new shocks, and check the rear spindles/bearings. If you have the original 9-leaf rear spring, rebuild it too. You don't need any of the super-whizbang double-monkey-motion aftermarket suspensions.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

Default Frame

My 68 had a button tuff interior also. It looked great in the 70s, not so much now. Looks like if you have to replace the transmission crossmember think about making it removable. This makes changing transmissions and clutches so much easier. I added a Tremec and I wish I added a removable crossmember when I did my frame off. There are a few posts about the topic on the forum. Good luck with your project. Jerry
Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all. Thank you for your service!

Welcome to the 64 club. I purchased mine in 2009 and did a body off restoration and with the help of this forum completed mine with great results. I really look back with pride every time I look at the car and remember I had the car down to nothing but the frame. Enjoy this and when you have a day were nothing is going right just go in the house and try again tomorrow.

Richard
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice project car! Yeah, welcome to the '64 club!

Semper Fi!

/Tracy
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats on the '64. And thanks for your service. Your story reminds me of the 1980's when I worked at the family hoagie shop right off the East Gate outside of Fort Hood, Texas. We had the closest eatery to the army base and all the soldiers would pull up in their '60's/'70's muscle cars and order a cheesesteak. In '86, I got my '64 roadster, like yours, and would talk cars with the soldiers. Three things made them happy; cars, sports bikes, and cheese steaks. I remember a few them saying they were saving up for a Corvette.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You don't need any of the super-whizbang double-monkey-motion aftermarket suspensions.
I'm gonna stamp mine with those words in hopes you judge my car one day. Funniest thing I've read you write. Always thought you were "just the facts" in terms of accurate details.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

You are just ahead of me (I hope) as I'm shopping for my mid-year now.

I am surprised that you were able to claim your forum name - that no one had taken it yet. Never served with a Marine I didn't like, although I am retired from the taxi service (USN).

I like your find - that will be quite the transformation. Are you sure you want to trash that interior?

Looking forward to watching this project come along.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, Thank you for your service to the Country.

The forum is loaded with information, like a prior post stated, think what you are going to do with the car, If it is going to be a driver, or NCRS type candidate.

I would much rather read about a mistake and learn from it versus repeating it by making it myself.

I among other things changed just front drum brakes to disc (still has rear drum, much happier with it, I also changed to Offset trailing arms which involved changing to a shortened fiberglass spring, I went with the 300lb spring, the higher the rate, the harsher the ride, but better cornering. Also changed shocks that VBP suggested to go with the spring.

Please drive it and enjoy it.

Members that I have sent pm's (personal messages) to on the forum with questions have been great on responding.

RJ (Beach Dude)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Great project! I see the seats are already done, so you won't need to worry about that expense.

Would you mind taking a picture of the luggage stop for me where it meets the side extensions? I would greatly appreciate it. I believe the side pieces on my latest project have been cut, but i cant quite tell.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Devil_Dog
Instructor

Thanks to all for both the support of the build and the military service. On that note, for those of you who are also currently serving, it’s an honor to be pulling the rope alongside you. To those of you who have served previously (Craftsman51, 365GTB4, Easy Rhino, and others), thank you for your service, you have left us enormous shoes to attempt to fill and we refuse to let you down or to tarnish your legacy.

AJC 69 BB, Tracy64, Hokie04, ifitgoesfast, etc, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. I have always been told that the friendship and connection shared by fellow Corvette owners was almost as fulfilling as actual ownership (well almost…)

Beach Dude, great points thanks! In the end my goal is to make this the perfect driver’s car for my tastes and the only judge I want to worry about the degree of smile on my face while enjoying the drive! Okay so perhaps I am a little interested in my wife’s opinion, but only a little…

JohnZ, thanks for the recommendation. Based on your input, and several hours of forum research I put in last night, I will just rebuild the stock suspension and 9-leaf spring. No super-whizbang double-monkey-motion aftermarket suspensions, check! One follow-on question, I have read forum postings going both directions on this issues, is it worthwhile to replace the stock springs? Thanks again!

65 Sliververt, I went out and took some pics of the luggage stop where it meets the side extensions. If I didn’t capture exactly what you need just let me know and I’ll post additional ones.

Due to the fact that I have two young boys of my own now (8 and 13) I am typically tied up during the week, so most of my work gets done on the weekends. I’ll do my best to keep you all posted on the progress thought and try not to overwhelm all with my novice questions. My only update for today was the receipt of my desperately needed battery tray! This weekend I am hoping to start strip down the suspension and will then be focused on getting the frame ready for sandblasting and powder coating in the next few weeks.
And the journey continues!
Attached Images       
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but since it's a '64, have you considered adding a rear sway bar? Mine was slalom raced in the 70's, and the previous owner added one bolted to trailing arm rear ends and frame in usual place for later years. Might tighten it up a bit. I also have metal bushings for the front suspension A-arms with zirk fittings as well as metal block for front sway bar instead of rubber; all done back then and amazingly still are there. What I heard from some of the people here is that's no so great for everyday driving, but depends on what you're looking for. Thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Yup, mine have definitely been cut off! Thanks for the pictures, i really cant thank you enough. PM sent on suspension

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Roadster - Body Off Restoration

Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the club! Don't hold back asking questions. I felt the same way as you did and as you will see as well, after you are done you want to do nothing but help others. Just think of everyone on the forum as your family. I currently have a 54 & a 68. I REALLY want a C2 and after watching your first few pics, I may have to find one soon!

Good luck and if you need anything, ask!

Matt
Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Welcome! Nice project- truthfully there are more than a few of us here who think a '64 with the early style interior and the body changes from '63 make it the most elegant Sting Ray EVER. I know I do!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the 64 club. My theory is every question you ask, ten folks are helped by the answer. Keep those questions coming, I am learning every day.

Quick Reply: 64 Roadster - Body Off Restoration