C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 rear blower cover ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:05 PM
CP64365
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 rear blower cover ?

I purchased a new cardboard cover panel for the rear blower since my old cover was split. Upon removing the carpet from my old cover, I notice that the holes in the cover had what I think are rivet in the holes. The mounting screws goes through the rivets when you screw on the carpet/cover. My question: did these rivets goes through both the carpet and cardboard cover or were they only in the cardboard? Also were these rivets original to the car or added by a previous owner? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 739 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by CP64365
I purchased a new cardboard cover panel for the rear blower since my old cover was split. Upon removing the carpet from my old cover, I notice that the holes in the cover had what I think are rivet in the holes. The mounting screws goes through the rivets when you screw on the carpet/cover. My question: did these rivets goes through both the carpet and cardboard cover or were they only in the cardboard? Also were these rivets original to the car or added by a previous owner? Thanks.
There were no "rivet holes" in the one I took out of our 65 and there were no rivet holes (just holes) in the replacement that I bought. Possibly something a previous owner added. To mount the panel I used an awl to locate the holes through the carpet piece and into the mounting brackets, then backed out the awl and inserted the screw in that location.

Others will weigh in on the rivet issue I'm sure.

Dave Z
Attached Images  

Last edited by DZVette; 01-18-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder if you are seeing the trim ring that goes around many trim screws that penetrate carpeting?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM
CP64365
Instructor

It not the ring around the screw head, these are still on my screws. The best way to describe these are a about a 1/4' long metal tube with the two ends flattened out to form rings. The flattened end towards the carpet side is a larger diameter then the other end which extended through the hole in the cardboard. Thinking back to when I removed them from the old cardboard, some of the carpet was pinched between the flattened end and the cardboard, so these must have been crimped the the carpet already glued to the cardboard. I guessing this isn't original?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The best way to describe these are a about a 1/4' long metal tube with the two ends flattened out to form rings. The flattened end towards the carpet side is a larger diameter then the other end which extended through the hole in the cardboard.
Those are called "eyelets" - also used on the kickpads and on '63-'64 door trim panels.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It not the ring around the screw head, these are still on my screws. The best way to describe these are a about a 1/4' long metal tube with the two ends flattened out to form rings. The flattened end towards the carpet side is a larger diameter then the other end which extended through the hole in the cardboard. Thinking back to when I removed them from the old cardboard, some of the carpet was pinched between the flattened end and the cardboard, so these must have been crimped the the carpet already glued to the cardboard. I guessing this isn't original?
Just a guess, but it sounds like a previous owner used some grommets to reinforce the holes. Not original as far as I know.
DZ
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Those are called "eyelets" - also used on the kickpads and on '63-'64 door trim panels.
2 minutes too slow. Thanks JohnZ, I learn something new every day.
DZ
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
CP64365
Instructor

Thanks JohnZ

Get notified of new replies

To 64 rear blower cover ?

Quick Reply: 64 rear blower cover ?